Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A330 business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster

A330 business

I am looking to go with Avianca from Quito to Sao Paulo. Am looking at a few different options and I can either go via Bogota and have a two hour connection (daytime flights) or push it with either Lima or Bogota with a one hour connection and get an overnight flight.

I saw that the business class in the A330 was just standard seats, only slightly bigger, so opted for the daytime flight, but when I got to the seat selection, I saw that it was the 1-2-1 layout with the nice new seats. This makes me thus tempted to go for the overnight flight and save the hotel on the other end, since we'd be able to sleep with the nice new seats.

My questions/concerns are though:

1. In both Lima and Bogota, am I pushing it with a one hour connection? Out of GRU anyway, delays seem common, so this stresses me out a bit.
2. This isn't until next summer .Will all the A330s now have the 1-2-1 layout by then? It'd be really disappointing if there were to be a swap to an old A330 and have just normal seats overnight.

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Well, define "regular seats" as well though. The A330's have had 2-2-2 lie-flat (or at least almost flat, I know people get up in arms if it's 170 degrees), so they aren't like the narrowbody J seats.

I can't speak to LIM at BOG, intl-intl I think 60 mins you'd probably be ok, you'll be first off the plane and the intl gates are at least semi-clustered together, I would THINK (not 100% certain) you wouldn't have to clear customs either.

The 1-2-1 config I wasn't aware was being installed on the 330s but if you can get that 1 way with a good connection go for it, maybe take the safer connection on the way back. The only thing I can think of that would be "regular seats" would be MAYBE from LIM where I've seen that some of the A330 flights are operated by "Transamerican" or something like that, it's possible they have different configs.

The other thing is, and I've always been a relaxed traveler so maybe I'm the outlier here, if you book the short connection and they miss due to a delay, they have to re-accommodate you, so unless you have somewhere to be in the short term I'm fine with making that kind of connection.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Am looking at making a MileagePlus award booking that could involve an AV A330 (MEX-BOG). How does their 330 business class compare to their new 787's?

AV was using the 787 5x a week on this route until recently, but now seems to have reverted to all A320 service, with a resumption of 5x weekly A330 service soon. I wouldn't redeem a business award if it's just old recliner seats on an A320, but for something better on an A330, I might.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel
Am looking at making a MileagePlus award booking that could involve an AV A330 (MEX-BOG). How does their 330 business class compare to their new 787's?

AV was using the 787 5x a week on this route until recently, but now seems to have reverted to all A320 service, with a resumption of 5x weekly A330 service soon. I wouldn't redeem a business award if it's just old recliner seats on an A320, but for something better on an A330, I might.
Here:

http://bfy.tw/1RMs
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Hahaha, never seen that before.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:05 am
Original Poster

My flight plans have changed and now I am stuck between choosing a A319 Avianca business flight overnight (6 hours) or an A330 in 1-2-1 conf during the day. Flight-wise, the latter would be much better, but I'd only get in at 1600 meaning my only day of sightseeing is lost, so ideally I'd take the overnight flight. Seems such a pain though paying the exact same amount for what is just a slightly bigger economy seat when a few hours later I could get lie flat!

I did notice, however, that TACA has a super early morning (530) flight with the A330, via Lima (hour and a half connection only, though). On seatguru, their A330 is listed as being a pretty standard seat in 2-2-2 conf, but the seat selector for this particular flight shows 1-2-1. Does this mean that TACA A330s have also been upgraded to the new Avianca business?
Old May 25, 2016, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

My A330 flight to BOG is now showing as the old 2-2-2 business. Disappointed, was hoping that a year on, after more retrofits, I'd definitely have the 1-2-1 as was advertised months ago.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Are there still A330's with 1-2-1 instead of 2-2-2? How do you know which one operates which route? I am booked on AV929 SAL-LIM on 02AUG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.