Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avianca - online hell

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Avianca - online hell

I'm not really looking for advice here. I think the best advice is to use a travel agency or online travel booking website when dealing with Avianca. But I just need to get my frustrations out.

The last few weeks I've made three bookings online at avianca.com and paid with my AmEx card. All three times, a few days after making the booking, the reservations were cancelled WITHOUT ANY INFORMATION to me. No phone call. No e-mail. The only way to find out was to keep checking the reservation in checkmytrip.net every few hours until getting a "4649" - "This trip cannot be found. It may have been cancelled".

They always blame it on payment issues. But my AmEx card is abslutely fine. I use it all the time and never have issued with other service providers. And after a few phone calls to different Avianca departments who blame another department, everything is fine and the ticket is issued.

I'm well travelled, and I book tickets online all the time. It's my preferred way. I NEVER have any problems doing this. Why is it so (insert bad word) difficult for Avianca to accept my credit card? And why don't they give a (insert other bad word) about informing a customer about the fact that his reservation has been cancelled?

What is wrong with them?!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Not expected, but it doesn't surprise me.

I've never had a problem buying tickets online with a Colombian credit card. So I can imagine that they have problems sometimes with non-Colombian credit cards
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
why not buy thru vayama or expedia. You get more points and free cancellation within 24 hours.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Well, some advice PERHAPS...so over the years their payment system has gotten better imo. I can now use my Canadian credit card with no issues, done it many times. I always buy via the "Colombian - Espanol" options as well.

So the other day I was trying to take advantage of a sale while I was in Puerto Rico. Didn't work. Thought MAYBE there's a problem with my IP, so I VPNed to a US IP. Still didn't work. My VPN doesn't provide a Canadian one, so I was stuck and with only hours left in the sale (not that I was saving a bundle, but it all counts) so I had to look for a solution.

Knowing Expedia and the likes probably would give me the Canadian price and not the Colombian sale price...I went to trusty ole Despegar.com, navigated to the Colombian site and got exactly what I wanted at the right price.

So it wasn't the same issue as yours, but I'd suggest trying a 3rd party OTA next time, see what happens. Either that or perhaps there's something on your Amex that won't allow a Colombian purchase? I assume you've called them to allow Colombian purchases, but if not I'd say try that.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:35 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Despegar.com does work for Avianca flights at Colombia prices but they are a VERY shonky company. It would have to be a last resort before I would consider them.

I have no idea why Avianca has a problem with overseas credit cards but they often do. I have no problems paying with my Colombian Avianca card, but when paying with a UK card I have had to call them up and tell them to ticket me.

I don't know what the process is, I think they poke it through with a stick or something
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
I've bought some tickets with Avianca already using my Brazilian AMEX. Only once I was able to have the sale properly processed by them.

The most common situation is that the website generates a PNR, but it simply does not finalize the sale. So I have to call Avianca and finish the purchase. Last time, I was connected to a guy that told me to be the responsible for the relationship between Avianca and American Express. It was a good conversation because I could give him many inputs about my previous experiences.

I never tried to buy another ticket since then, but my guess is that use the call center to pay with Amex tends to be less problematic...
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:41 am

I had the problem back in the day with getting a PNR but not having it sold. I thought they fixed that, I've changed credit cards, but I've always had Canadian cards, in any case I don't have that problem anymore. I'm only buying domestic flights FWIW.

Johnny I always know if there's a post in this forum you'll be on it I gotta ask though...shonky? That's a new one on me bud
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:35 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by drvannostren

Johnny I always know if there's a post in this forum you'll be on it I gotta ask though...shonky? That's a new one on me bud
Shonky is apparently Australian slang, I must have picked it up from Neighbours

https://www.google.com.co/webhp?sour...y%20definition
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:03 pm

Haha crikey!
Old May 1, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
And the weird thing is that for LM bookings the credit cards are accepted without much issue. Names dont even need to match

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.