Search

Carry-on Enforcement

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:18 am
NPF
Original Poster

Programs: AA / AV
Carry-on Enforcement

I will be flying, in a few weeks, MIA-LIM-GIG in Avianca Business Class.

I don't have status with StarAlliance, so my carry-on allowance, according to Avianca's site, is 01pc weighting up to 10Kg.

My usuall carry-on (Osprey Porter 46 backpack - within size regulations) almost always weigth more than that, frequently up to 20Kg.

Does anyone have experience as to how or if Avianca enforces carry-on weight or number of pieces (as one option would be to divide it into two pieces - legal if I was Star Gold, which I am not)?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I've never seen them check carry on.

Honestly many Colombians (at least domestically which is most of my experience) will come on board seemingly carrying everything they own. A carry on, a backpack, 2 grocery bags full of stuff.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Being in J as well I think they're much more hesitant to hassle people, but that's just my thought.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:46 am
NPF
Original Poster

Programs: AA / AV
Thanks, drvannostren

The situation you describes is the same as in the AA and JJ flights to GIG and GRU.

I have flown GIG-MIA (which is easier in terms of baggage) in AV before but not the return leg.

Will try and report back.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:23 pm

I've seen it on a few BOG-JFK flights. For the most part, anything goes. Just luck. If they are doing it, they send in a team to scope out the situation about 15-20 minutes before boarding. They identify possible violators and wait for them at the BP scanner... I've never had an issue in J. I doubt you will either. The rules don't apply to J. "unofficially"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.