When are the AV 787s in service ?

Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Just got off AV20 (BOG-JFK). I was in 4A. I had 2 windows to myself.

Business class has 7 rows; 4 seats per row. The seats are fantastic. Much better than UA's BusinessFirst. Each seat has direct aisle access. Business class is organized in two cabins: Row 1-5 and Row 6-7.

Can't add much about Row 1 vs 6. However, the screen of Row 1 does seem further away than the other seats.

The food was mediocre. It was basically coach food on a real plate. No bread was offered. The dessert was ok. Cheese wasn't offered, I had to ask for it.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:36 am

Wrt the routes, the 787 is going to be on

BOG-JFK
BOG-EZE
BOG-GRU
BOG-SCL
BOG-MEX
BOG-LHR
BOG-MAD
CLO-MAD

For details: http://airlineroute.net/2015/01/09/av-787update1/
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:37 am

And apparently it is going to be on BOG-CTG between Feb 17 and Jul 31. I wonder why.
See http://airlineroute.net/2015/01/16/av-bogccs-feb15-2/
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Test flights? Maybe letting some "regular" customers try it out? Or perhaps it's going like MAD-BOG-CTG-MAD or something of that nature?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingIsCool
Just got off AV20 (BOG-JFK). I was in 4A. I had 2 windows to myself.

Business class has 7 rows; 4 seats per row. The seats are fantastic. Much better than UA's BusinessFirst. Each seat has direct aisle access. Business class is organized in two cabins: Row 1-5 and Row 6-7.

Can't add much about Row 1 vs 6. However, the screen of Row 1 does seem further away than the other seats.

The food was mediocre. It was basically coach food on a real plate. No bread was offered. The dessert was ok. Cheese wasn't offered, I had to ask for it.
Thanks for the information! When you say Rows 6-7 are in another cabin, is Row 6 separated from 5 with a bulkhead or galleys? The Avianca video of the 787 doesn't show much. Would Row 6 have the same problem of the screen on the wall, farther away (if that's true) as Row 1? Thanks again for the response. Let's hope Avianca adds the seat map to the fleet description, or to seat guru!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:31 am

I can't say I've been on the AV 788, but if you look at the Air Canada seat guru map (which I have been on) they have a similar config. Row 1-5 is J class 4 abreast. Then a galley with lavs, then PY, whereas AV has 2 more rows of J, exactly like they do on the A330.

I'm not really sure what's up with the screen though, each seat as AVOD so why is there a screen? Or am I missing something here? I know the AC 788 had no screen, and if the seats are the same, they appear to be very similar, it's a very comfortable ride. Better than UA and with the aisle access it's so nice, but that said you do pay more for that since they only put in 4 abreast rather than UA's 6. So if the economics are the same, they have to space that cost over less seats. ALL that being said, I really enjoyed both products, and for once a middle seat is best as both in the middle on UA get aisle access with no one walking over them.

I'm really hoping to try out the 788 with AV at some point, though I probably won't get to. Trying ANA 788 (I think domestic config though) in a couple weeks .
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by FlyingIsCool
Wrt the routes, the 787 is going to be on

BOG-JFK
BOG-EZE
BOG-GRU
BOG-SCL
BOG-MEX
BOG-LHR
BOG-MAD
CLO-MAD

For details: http://airlineroute.net/2015/01/09/av-787update1/
Down at the bottom of the page they say that starting in December there will be 2X week service MDE-MAD. Now we MDE'ers need to worry about arriving behind a widebody twice a week!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil
Down at the bottom of the page they say that starting in December there will be 2X week service MDE-MAD. Now we MDE'ers need to worry about arriving behind a widebody twice a week!
That's for sure, that customs hall can barely handle the CM flights or short haul INTL from Avianca. I can only assume DIAN would use all the booths though, I think there's 4-5 right? Usually only 2 are open.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
That's for sure, that customs hall can barely handle the CM flights or short haul INTL from Avianca. I can only assume DIAN would use all the booths though, I think there's 4-5 right? Usually only 2 are open.
Even with 5 booths, if you assume an average of 1 minute per person and 260 people on the plane, that's still 52 minutes to process all. I suspect the one minute is a conservative estimate, since it takes them about 45 seconds to process me, and all of my data is already in the system.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:27 am

Even with 5 booths, if you assume an average of 1 minute per person and 260 people on the plane, that's still 52 minutes to process all. I suspect the one minute is a conservative estimate, since it takes them about 45 seconds to process me, and all of my data is already in the system.
Oh for sure, but at least if it was 52 minutes the bags would be there already when you clear customs . Even just off flights from BOG and with my priority tags, I'm surprised at how slow bags can be at MDE.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:39 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Make that two widebodies and up to 3 times a week
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Arrrgh!

Well, I'm actually glad that MDE is getting additional OneWorld service, though I may regret it occasionally.

I see that IB plans to fly MAD-MDE-CLO-MAD 3X weekly. I wonder if those going onto Cali need to clear immigration and claim/recheck bags at MDE and if those leaving from MDE need to clear outbound immigration in Cali. I hope not, for everybody's sake.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:54 pm

That's a good question coolcoil, I did not realise it was another triangular route like AMS BOG CLO AMS. I do not imagine they will have any rights to sell MDE CLO so I'd presume that at both destinations you arrive and depart as an international flight like LIS BOG PTY LIS.

Yes there is a lot of imagining and presuming there
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:19 am

I kinda feel like they'd make you stay on board no? Johnny what do they do on that LIS flight? You can buy BOG-PTY-LIS but not BOG-PTY right? I don't believe Medellin has any sequestering or holding rooms so if they made you disembark, you'd get off grab your bags and basically have to go to check-in again...a process surely not able to be done in less than an hour.

At YVR we have the HKG-YVR-JFK flight and all the passengers from HKG-JFK are let off the plane, but they are kept in a sterile area, but CX also has sales rights YVR-JFK so I'm not sure if that throws a wrench into it.

I love that Colombia is getting more service in general and maybe you two guys on the ground there know better than I do, but how sustainable do you think these are? I've noticed more people who I encounter who've been to the US or Spain (Madrid specifically), is that just because people have more money or the visas are getting easier to get? Or am I just meeting the right people there? My first few times in Colombia I felt like no one was leaving the country. A 3x a week to AMS means they think there's roughly 1000 people in a week travelling between Colombia-Another European gateway, that's a lot of seats.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:53 am

I have no idea where Colombians go, but bear in mind that in the second half of this year, Colombians will not need a visa to go to Schengenlandia. So it makes sense that there is going to be more capacity.

There will now be widebody service to AMS, CDG, LHR, FRA, LIS, MAD and BCN

As an importer of foreigners, I have seen a shift over the last few years, Canadians not coming so much but Europe is really picking up for inbound tourism, lots of Brits starting to come, Spanish not so much, but Germans are the biggest tourist group, Feeds in for Switzerland who also seem to be very fond of Colombia. Plenty of Scandinavian visitors and possibly they come via AMS, I am not sure.

Spain obviously has the motherland connection and France has very long running commercial connections with Colombia.

LIS I am sure there is not much O&D traffic but for everything in Latin America that is not Brazil, BOG and PTY as Star Alliance hubs have the connections

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.