Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:50 am

I got the bid offer via email

So I searched Flyertalk for Avianca Bid on Upgrades and it seems like you guys are the only ones talking about it so here's another data point.

I got the email earlier this week. It let me and my companion bid for an upgrade. The lowest possible bid was $190 per passenger and the highest was $450. I really am not that interested in the upgrade since it's just a 6-hour flight but I bid $190 anyway just to see if it will actually clear.

The original cost of our ticket was $245 one-way with a stop-over (JFK-BOG-CTG). We bought it in April and for a ticket that allowed us to stay in Bogota for 5 days before heading to Cartagena, it was a really cheap fare.

I figured it wouldn't be too bad if I end up adding $190 should they accept my bid. That would have ended up being the regular price anyway. Since we have an early morning flight and I'm not really a morning person, a little bit of comfort will be welcome and I would like to be first to deplane and clear customs and immigration ASAP in Bogota.

I'm Star Alliance Gold (via status match on TK) but Avianca doesn't know it.

I guess there really isn't any rhyme or reason as to who gets the bid email.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:20 am

Avianca Bid on Upgrades

Originally Posted by CarloNYC
So I searched Flyertalk for Avianca Bid on Upgrades and it seems like you guys are the only ones talking about it so here's another data point.

I got the email earlier this week. It let me and my companion bid for an upgrade. The lowest possible bid was $190 per passenger and the highest was $450. I really am not that interested in the upgrade since it's just a 6-hour flight but I bid $190 anyway just to see if it will actually clear.

The original cost of our ticket was $245 one-way with a stop-over (JFK-BOG-CTG). We bought it in April and for a ticket that allowed us to stay in Bogota for 5 days before heading to Cartagena, it was a really cheap fare.

I figured it wouldn't be too bad if I end up adding $190 should they accept my bid. That would have ended up being the regular price anyway. Since we have an early morning flight and I'm not really a morning person, a little bit of comfort will be welcome and I would like to be first to deplane and clear customs and immigration ASAP in Bogota.

I'm Star Alliance Gold (via status match on TK) but Avianca doesn't know it.

I guess there really isn't any rhyme or reason as to who gets the bid email.

My upgrade cleared just now, 2 days before the flight. I'm assuming the mileage earning will be based on the original booking code. The total price for JFK-BOG-(6-day layover)-CTG in business comes to $435 (originally $245 plus $190 upgrade fee).
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Damn I'm jealous! I once again got no emails for either MIA-SAL-MDE or MDE-BOG-MIA.

They DID know about my Star Gold status.

I'm also jealous about that damn fare, I hate that being in Canada it's far more expensive to Colombia than being in NYC or the northeast. $435 for that flight is nice.

Yes you're right on the booking code thing, if I recall in their rules it states your mileage will remain with the original booking as will any charges incurred (changes etc) but that your service is upped, including lounge access and extra baggage or whatever (which is kinda irrelevant since you'd already have that via status anyway).

This does kinda piss me off that it seems totally random. I'm sure it's not, I'm sure these emails also go out to AV lifemiles status members first too, maybe they just take them all. I'll be honest just about every AV flight I've ever been on has a full or mostly full J class, including the SAL-MDE (arriving at 1am Tuesday morning) flight I took the other day which I wouldn't assume would have much traffic.

I've debated about switching to Lifemiles, but I don't fly enough reliably on AV and when it do it's usually just MDE-BOG or vice versa on cheapo fares plus most of my flying is on AC where I can use upgrades that I wouldn't have if I wasn't on Aeroplan.

Enjoy Cartagena! Get ready for the heeeeeeat!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:29 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I just got the first ever email inviting us to bid on an upgrade. It's BOG AXM and it has a slider from about COP100,000 to 315000 (plus taxes)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
I bought a paid C ticket on AV to fly GIG BOG UIO // LIM GIG. To fly from UIO to LIM on Y, I used some Lifemiles points I had in my account (no status on it).

I got this morning an offer to upgrade to C for this short flight of 2:20. The minimum price for bid is US$ 185 plus taxes. Not really a good deal, I guess. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:52 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
My very limited experience of two flights I have taken over this weekend.

BOG PEI upgrade bids invited. Y cabin completely rammed.

PEI BOG, no upgrade bids invited, Y only 1/3 full, C cabin 3 out of 12 seats occupied.

Could be that they offer the upgrade bids when they are going to have to op-up Y to C and not necessarily when there is availability in C
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
My very limited experience of two flights I have taken over this weekend.

BOG PEI upgrade bids invited. Y cabin completely rammed.

PEI BOG, no upgrade bids invited, Y only 1/3 full, C cabin 3 out of 12 seats occupied.

Could be that they offer the upgrade bids when they are going to have to op-up Y to C and not necessarily when there is availability in C
I was just thinking this Senor Johnny!

Brilliant on their part imo, but I've been on pretty full flights (albeit maybe not oversold) and still never gotten even so much as the email. You'd think they'd do it ANY time J wasn't sold out, just to squeeze more money out of each fare. If they give you (generously) $50 of food and drinks in that front seat from BOG-LHR and the minimum bid on a mid-range fare is say $300, it makes perfect sense to me. But of course as it does, maybe that "cheapens" the product.

I'm still waiting to get one of these. Don't have any AV flights until a quick J BOG-MDE on Dec 25, then an mid-class MDE-BOG fare on an A330 lol, I'm REALLY hoping they offer it to me for that, I'd gladly pay to try their long haul product even for 25 minutes just because I'll never really get a chance to otherwise.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Got the offer today for my EWR-SAL flight on 1/14. Range from $145-250 I believe, I'm taking a shot at $160. Will report back. Nothing on my flights the next day SAL-BOG-CTG.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Hey man, if nothing else, $160 is worth it to be #1(ish) in customs at SAL. Plus just out of comfort. Lots of the upgrades I wouldn't pay for, but if I was offered that for BOG-IAH on UA which i Have this monday morning at 1:30am I'll be doing it.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Hey man, if nothing else, $160 is worth it to be #1(ish) in customs at SAL. Plus just out of comfort. Lots of the upgrades I wouldn't pay for, but if I was offered that for BOG-IAH on UA which i Have this monday morning at 1:30am I'll be doing it.
Leaving for BOG (and on the CTG) the following day, roughly same pricing scheme, worth it to expedite check in/immigration process?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:24 pm

Upgrade came through at t-2 and am sitting in the LH lounge now.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Do they offer paid upgrade from and to Europe as well?
If so what is the average price?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just got a plusgrade offer on upcoming flight CTG-BOG. Minimum bid is $110 US plus $18 in taxes. This is on an ultra cheap U fare that cost $54. For a 1:25 flight on a 320. Gracias.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 17, 2015 at 10:11 am
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I just got a plusgrade offer on upcoming flight CTG-BOG. Minimum bid is $110 US plus $18 in taxes. This is on an ultra cheap U fare that cost $54. For a 1:25 flight on a 320. Gracias.
Not sure if you're LOOKING for advice, but if you are, don't take this. I stupidly took an 80USD upgrade MDE-PTY. The only reason to do this would be if you want/need and don't already have lounge access, which I do. CTG-BOG I wonder if you'd get food. MDE-BOG you certainly don't, but the flight is roughly half that.

Glad to see the EWR-SAL guy took it, at the prices he showed I would for sure.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
I just had one of these emailed to me for my upcoming BOG-HAV flight with my partner. The slider gives me options of USD200 to USD310 per person. Given I've already got lounge access as *G, not really worth it for a 3.5hr flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.