AV new Business Class !

Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:37 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by zpaul
I have to admit that I'm back to LA574 on the 767 for the SCL-BOG route rather than the AV 787. While I love the 787 as an aircraft, the seat and IFE was so poorly designed that I'll take a proven yet aged "middle-aisle" J seat on LAN and enjoy the in-flight experience much more.
Doesn't surprise me, LAN's J seat is solid, amazing that their IFE was cutting edge in 2003 when I first used it and 12 years later others still cannot get it right
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:27 am

Does anyone know about the status of the A330s? How many currently have new C, how many are being retrofitted etc.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: Bear Backers
Flying SFO-Scl. In Feb

Any chance they substitute a. Air craft with lie flat seats in bus for the sfo-sal leg? Currently a A320

What is the lounge like in SAL. Have 7 hour lay over.

Why are the serving dinner on the flight leaving bog for scl at 10:30 pm?

How is the food compared to United? Going on a saver. C ticket
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by oskidunker
Any chance they substitute a. Air craft with lie flat seats in bus for the sfo-sal leg? Currently a A320

What is the lounge like in SAL. Have 7 hour lay over.

Why are the serving dinner on the flight leaving bog for scl at 10:30 pm?

1. 100% no, unless there's a mechanical problem before the flight UP to SFO. There's no AV aircrafts based there, not only that it's a small-ish short-ish haul route. The only route AV puts a 330/787 on that isn't long haul is MEX or an occasional MIA and positioning flight. You're gonna get that A320, bank on it.

2. The lounge in SAL is nothing great. I didn't get a chance to explore the terminal, I'd say make sure you do that so you can at least check it out. The lounge has the same AV food/drinks as the others, the tiny cheese sandwiches, peanuts and a couple other small snacks. Drinks are self serve IIRC, vodka/whisky et al, beer and soft drinks in the cooler. When I was there it was under a bit of renovation, but there's nothing they could do to that room short of tearing it down that would make it anything special. I recall the wifi being a bit spotty and the PCs in there sucked unfortunately. There's decent seating and TVs to kill some time, but 7 hours, you're gonna be pulling your hair out.

3. Dinner between BOG-SCL I'd say because simply they feel the need to serve something. They could serve breakfast but then people wanting dinner would complain, similar thing for YVR-YYZ overnight, they used to serve dinner but apparently people weren't eating it so they switched to breakfast, perhaps AV isn't far off from a change, perhaps their customers prefer the dinner option based on where most of the pax are connecting in from?

4. I can't say I've had AV food, but the reviews I've read haven't been great. Compared to UA? I thought UA F food was pretty decent, but I'm not sure about how it is on a regular basis, I only had it twice and the other time when in J I slept through the breakfast and then the FA ate it lol.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:56 pm

I know drvannostren and I have differed recently on the value of lounges but the little bar in SAL is a great spot, has cheap beers, always a mixed and friendly transient crowd, it has free internet and they take USD

Don't like the lounge, then go to the bar
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
The bog-scl leg has 787 lie flat

Same flight time,5.5 hrs. I guess they may have more need for a larger plane on that route

s

Last edited by oskidunker; Aug 31, 2015 at 2:39 pm Reason: Add
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I know drvannostren and I have differed recently on the value of lounges but the little bar in SAL is a great spot, has cheap beers, always a mixed and friendly transient crowd, it has free internet and they take USD

Don't like the lounge, then go to the bar
My next 2 passes through SAL are 35 minutes and 40 minutes respectively. At some point I'll have to actually check out this airport. I saw nothing more than the lounge briefly, a tiny duty free and the gate
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
I've been in J twice (on the 787): BOG-JFK and LIM-BOG. Food is sub par. I prefer UA food. Service is also meh.

I've heard that the service is better on BOG-LHR and BOG-MAD.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by oskidunker
I can't speak to the comparison, as I haven't flown UA in over 7 years, but the food on my flights in J was completely unmemorable. I do remember that on the long-haul (SCL-BOG-SCL) they have a restaurant-style 20-page menu that's pretty gross and nasty (dirty), and they tell you which page to look at for the meal that has been catered. There is nothing that feels "premium" about the experience, except for the knowledge of what they're (not) getting in the back.

I can't imagine UA does worse.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drvannostren
The only route AV puts a 330/787 on that isn't long haul is MEX or an occasional MIA and positioning flight.
AV flies widebodies on many routes of equivalent or lesser length.

I do agree it's 100% certain you're not going to see one on SFO-SAL. The reason is that it's a TACA operated route.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
AV flies widebodies on many routes of equivalent or lesser length.

I do agree it's 100% certain you're not going to see one on SFO-SAL. The reason is that it's a TACA operated route.
Not disagreeing with you re SFO SAL but I saw 3 AV A330s at LIM on Monday morning at about 9am. Either they are all coming back to BOG operated by AV proper or TA Peru at least is operating some routes with widebodies.

Just had a quick look. AV6645 operated by TA is a 330 route. Cannot see any others
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:07 am

Does anybody have a seatmap for the A330 in 1-2-1 config?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.