Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Maayan
If that were the case, wouldn't it have also "side effected" La Gare, The Lion King and The Arab Arch?

Those that were corrected were the ones posted right here last week in the posts that were later removed.
That is also what I think.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I can't believe the miscoded cities are gone
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: LH FTL,Hyatt Platinum,BMI Silver
I am very upset with the recent changes of the program.So I have sent a letter of complaint to the LifeMiles and Avianca headquarters, saying that I do not agree with the big devaluation of my LifeMiles and I am planing to avoid the purchase of further LifeMiles in the near future. For an airline the sale of frequent flyer miles at reasonable prices can be a profitable extra business. Please feel free to do the same if you want.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:04 pm

I bought some miles last year thinking I would use them with GUM... I waited too long.

I thought I would use them with SAW since I'm going there anyway next summer and I would have gone to Canada from there, but it disappeared not long ago.

I know of another trick (didn't check if is still available, though), but because of the need to get a visa I thought it would be too much trouble.

I just learned that CJJ would have been an option (I'm in Korea!) but I didn't know about that one until it was gone.

Now, there are some tickets I want that don't involve any tricks or misspelled anything. However, when I read the Wiki, I am puzzled:
Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.
Why LAX to SJU (via PTY) would be cabotage? LAX is in the USA, SJU in Puerto Rico, and PTY in Panama, so doesn't it respect the rule above (in bold)? I'm a bit worried because the tickets I want would make a very big detour and I certainly wouldn't like to be an example of a stranded passenger!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by erik19283
Why LAX to SJU (via PTY) would be cabotage? LAX is in the USA, SJU in Puerto Rico, and PTY in Panama
As the tourist ads for Puerto Rico say in the US, "you don't need a passport to visit Puerto Rico."

It's part of US @:-)
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:12 am

This thread should just RIP.

It was fun while it lasted
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:18 am

Anyone been able to braai it out the sling way out of the old continent?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by mlqsko
This thread should just RIP.

It was fun while it lasted
but where will we post when we discover that suddenly the chainsaw came back alive?

more seriously, I fully agree.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:24 am

SAW will come back just after Michael Jackson
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: AP, UA, AA
There are still some good deals for travel in the Lifemiles program. Think outside the box..
All it takes for lifemiles to close loopholes is to catch someone traveling on an unusual ticket .. ..Then audit their lifemiles account to see where else they have redeeming miles for travel to and BINGO a bunch of other loophole cities are closed.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Raffles longhaul
There are still some good deals for travel in the Lifemiles program. Think outside the box..
All it takes for lifemiles to close loopholes is to catch someone traveling on an unusual ticket .. ..Then audit their lifemiles account to see where else they have redeeming miles for travel to and BINGO a bunch of other loophole cities are closed.
Indeed, and many cases LM is still cheaper than anything else to fly in premium cabin (at least if you don't have access to credit card miles/points)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by scibuff
To be honest, I think it is much more likely that they got a new airport list dump from the IATA (instead of the FAA) and a side effect of that was a fix for miscoded/misplaced airports. I'd be a bit surprised if this was an intentional fix. If LM really wanted to fix any tricks, all they'd have to do was to introduce an MPM rule.
If they had done what you describe then there would not have been the disrepancy between Brasil/Brazil Estados Unido/United States and there would not have 4 remaining, like the Roaring Animal with two airport codes, the Non-Airport Airport and "Muslim" Airport as (USA). If you use Google Earth and look at this airport, there is hardly a skidmark on the single runway. As the country comes out of its crisis maybe international service will start or at least domestic traffic to the capital city.

Originally Posted by Raffles longhaul
Sure I speak for many others in welcoming you to this thread. Your level of imagination and Out-of-the-Box thinking demonstrated elsewhere will be needed and welcomed here. I think the most likely "inspiration" for changing this program is that someone cancelled a SAW trip, demanded refund and agent noticed that only 12.500 miles had been used. To the people who pray that existing reservations are safe due to "DOT", there is still possibility of Claw Back. I planned for this by operating several accounts, each with Max 40-60.000 miles and after redeeming for a funny trip, there would only be very few miles left behind in any one single account.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Oct 21, 2014 at 6:36 am
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:51 am

I missed out on the chainsaw and am very frustrated about it
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
To the people who pray that existing reservations are safe due to "DOT", there is still possibility of Claw Back.
And depending on the airline even denied boarding. Ever since the GUM "gate" UA was actively looking out for LM issued tickets going as far as alerting airport stations. AC took it one step further by blocking award space to NRT.

I haven't posted much since GUM 'gate" because there was too much "noise" here on this thread... I will say this, my UA contact mentioned that some of the pax they denied boarding reported that they purchased tickets on ebay & craigslist. So someone or some people were "selling" award tickets which means loss of revenue for UA.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by imverge
And depending on the airline even denied boarding. Ever since the GUM "gate" UA was actively looking out for LM issued tickets going as far as alerting airport stations. AC took it one step further by blocking award space to NRT.

I haven't posted much since GUM 'gate" because there was too much "noise" here on this thread... I will say this, my UA contact mentioned that some of the pax they denied boarding reported that they purchased tickets on ebay & craigslist. So someone or some people were "selling" award tickets which means loss of revenue for UA.
How can you sell tickets if they are nominative?

Also I don't see how someone who booked chainsaw could be denied boarding since the ticket doesn't involved cabotage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.