Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Booking Infant Awards: Impressed with Avianca Call Center!

Booking Infant Awards: Impressed with Avianca Call Center!

Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Impressed with Avianca Call Center!

I've read many posts on Avianca Lifemiles where people have complained of ineptness on the part of Avianca call center agents. I wanted to share my very positive experience I had this week relating to a Lifemiles reservation.

I was trying to book a Star alliance award ticket from US to Asia, and I had issues completing the reservations on their website. The site gave me an error and I could not complete the booking. I called Avianca's toll free number and chose the option for Lifemiles and was connected to a relatively easy to understand agent. She asked me what the problem was and she offered to make the booking for me while also waiving the normal call center fee. She was able to snag the award seat, deduct the miles and get my credit card info over their automated system. She did say it would take 2-12 hours for the ticket to be issued, and sure enough within 2 hours ticket numbers showed up on the reservation.

I then had the uneviable task of adding an infant-in-arms ticket to the booking. Once the adult ticket was issued I called Avianca again and was advised that typically the infant ticket is issued by one of the operating carriers, but they said they would do it for me as a service. Fare was quoted and cc info obtained. After a day when I still did not see the ticket for the infant issued I called back and was advised that the credit card was charged and ticket would be issued by the end of the day.

Now came the real surprise. Once I hung up within a few minutes, I got a call from the same agent who said he had given me inaccurate info and that my credit card was not charged yet as it had to go through their internal validation process. He apologized profusely for the wrong info he had given earlier and told me to wait a day for the ticket to be issued. Sure enough the process was completed the next day.

All in all I had a very satisfying experience with Avianca's call center. Are they perfect? Ofcourse not. They have a lot of issues especially with ticket issuance and credit card validations. But the good thing is that they try very hard and try to do their best to resolve issues. Can't say the same for most of the US based airline agents that answer calls!

Way to go Avianca ! Hope you can improve on other areas too!

Last edited by JDiver; May 10, 2013 at 6:41 am Reason: restore original post title
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
You can add the infant in future by contacting the operating carrier as mentioned by that agent. Ive done it on a tg booking by calling my local tg office.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
I'm glad it worked out for you, but don't get too used to it
Old Apr 24, 2013, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I'm glad it worked out for you, but don't get too used to it
Agreed! But, wanted to share my experience to imply that there is hope!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by kaushik123
...Way to go Avianca ! Hope you can improve on other areas too!
I hope they leave some of the other areas unimproved.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Originally Posted by zbenye
No kidding!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: HU G, 3U G, CZ G, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL Plat, IHG SRA, TK G, Hilton G
i heard taca's agent is much better! is that true!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: US*G BR*CE
Originally Posted by Yi Yang
i heard taca's agent is much better! is that true!
I find that AV and TA agents are about the same.
However, I've called TA several times, and whenever they put me on hold, the system seems to just cut me off. This doesn't seem to be an issue with AV's system.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zbenye
+1
Old May 1, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
Is there a new policy, when I have tried to purchas a ticket for an infant no matter the age, they always tell me that I have to redeem to separe tickets
Old May 1, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by miranda.mario
Is there a new policy, when I have tried to purchas a ticket for an infant no matter the age, they always tell me that I have to redeem to separe tickets
You cant redeem an infant award ticket but you can buy one with the operating carrier
Old May 2, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA,AV,UA,BA
Originally Posted by smillwelly
I find that AV and TA agents are about the same.
However, I've called TA several times, and whenever they put me on hold, the system seems to just cut me off. This doesn't seem to be an issue with AV's system.
I had the same experience with AV, haven't tried TACA. I read somewhere that their call center might eventually move to US, but I can't find the source.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
You cant redeem an infant award ticket but you can buy one with the operating carrier
Do you know what to do with multiple operating carriers?
Old May 9, 2013, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by chrisljo
Do you know what to do with multiple operating carriers?
Any good TA can ticket that. Or call the airline issuing the ticket (usually the longest leg).
Old May 9, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by erik123
Any good TA can ticket that. Or call the airline issuing the ticket (usually the longest leg).
Not necessarily-look at resolution 302

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.