Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles 100% promo - reactivated through 30 Sept 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifemiles 100% promo - reactivated through 30 Sept 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
"almost any", except AA.
Having said that, I'd still rank DL #2 in NA, mostly based on universal WiFi and better ground CS and ops.
If and when AC learns about WiFi and installs it on more than three planes, I'd move them up to #2 behind AA, IMO.
I don't expect wifi on 2-3 hour flights (SFO/LAX/SAN-YVR/YYC) or short flights within the E coast (YYZ/YUL-BOS/WAS/NYC/BUF/CHI)
That is the vast majority of their US network, so I wouldn't expect that to change.
Even to Florida (which is another key part of their US network) I can't see too many people using it.
Not to mention that it's unusable in Candian airspace (then again, Canadian airspace lasts less than 60 miles...)
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Careful, it seems notifying customers before devaluing their program isn't in their books.
This is true but I am not sure how relevant it is, does the devaluation become less painful if you are told about it?. While I agree that its better to inform it's the devaluation itself that would hurt. If course the davaluation you refer to was in reality fairly minor.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:54 am

Programs: Etihad Guest
Maxed out for this year. Bought 74k points for $2220.

Now, where to fly?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given that Lifemiles award ticketing has slowed down and that Lifemiles has tightened the limits for when the miles can be used for award tickets, some people should certainly think about how many of these miles they want to buy and hoard before making the mile purchases.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given that Lifemiles award ticketing has slowed down and that Lifemiles has tightened the limits for when the miles can be used for award tickets, some people should certainly think about how many of these miles they want to buy and hoard before making the mile purchases.
I aam thinking of buying the max...with US going OW, I will not have much in the Star Alliance bank.

Where did you see the info on your caveats /
Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:31 am

I am tempted to max out, but I will not buy more miles than I need to use immediately. Here are some things that may happen:

1. Devaluation
2. Introduction of YQ
3. Increase in booking fees
4. Change in rules
5. Bankruptcy

etc

Too much risk.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:41 am
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
Anyone having troubles purchasing right now? Trying to purchase for the other half using Amex but it just loops back to the Personal info/CC page w/o adding miles. Any solution? Thx.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HMPS
I am thinking of buying the max...with US going OW, I will not have much in the Star Alliance bank.
Where did you see the info on your caveats /
Thanks in advance.
Wise decision IMO.

Originally Posted by echino
I am tempted to max out, but I will not buy more miles than I need to use immediately. Here are some things that may happen:

1. Devaluation
2. Introduction of YQ
3. Increase in booking fees
4. Change in rules
5. Bankruptcy
etc
Too much risk.
You forgot about:
1. Earthquakes destroy most of the world's airports.
2. Worldwide shortage of Jet A fuel.
3. OP gets hit by a bus crossing the street.
4. Astroid hits OP's house while he is inside.
5. End of the world.

Seriously, we're talking all of $2,250 here, on a max buy.

LifeMiles is not going anywhere in the immediate future.
Devaluation? Unlikely since they still have to remain competitive with other airlines and airline programs.
Introduction of YQ? You mean like Aeroplan?
Increase in booking fees? LM charges $25, UA charges $75.
Change in rules and Bankruptcy? Yes, I lie awake at night worrying about these. Even if it BK did happen, FF miles have been preserved in most airline bankruptcies/reorganizations.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:26 am

You forgot about:
1. Earthquakes destroy most of the world's airports.
2. Worldwide shortage of Jet A fuel.
3. OP gets hit by a bus crossing the street.
4. Astroid hits OP's house while he is inside.
5. End of the world.

Seriously, we're talking all of $2,250 here, on a max buy.

LifeMiles is not going anywhere in the immediate future.
Devaluation? Unlikely since they still have to remain competitive with other airlines and airline programs.
Introduction of YQ? You mean like Aeroplan?
Increase in booking fees? LM charges $25, UA charges $75.
Change in rules and Bankruptcy? Yes, I lie awake at night worrying about these. Even if it BK did happen, FF miles have been preserved in most airline bankruptcies/reorganizations.
Not necessarily. They can take away/modify the cash and points options. Anyone who doesn't have enough miles for a full ticket is toast.
They did a devaluation a while back, and I don't see why they would have qualms about doing it again. Remember, this is a Central American programs, majority of users do domestic roundtrips (i mean regional trips I guess).
And why not YQ? About 1% of members are going to redeem on TG or SA or LX. Let's put YQ on those! :P
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yerffej201
They did a devaluation a while back, and I don't see why they would have qualms about doing it again.
The point I was trying to make is there are risks in everything.

But I'm not sure I would characterize a 2,500 or 5,000 mile change on a 62,500 award as a devaluation.
More like a currency fluctuation, IMO.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:17 pm

The point I was trying to make is there are risks in everything.

But I'm not sure I would characterize a 2,500 or 5,000 mile change on a 62,500 award as a devaluation.
More like a currency fluctuation, IMO.
Really? So are award levels going to go down?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? So are award levels going to go down?
Touché. You got me on that one.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Originally Posted by hsk
Anyone having troubles purchasing right now? Trying to purchase for the other half using Amex but it just loops back to the Personal info/CC page w/o adding miles. Any solution? Thx.
I have the exact same problem; I tried different cards, browsers and even operating systems, but all resulted in the same issue
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Not necessarily. They can take away/modify the cash and points options. Anyone who doesn't have enough miles for a full ticket is toast.
They did a devaluation a while back, and I don't see why they would have qualms about doing it again. Remember, this is a Central American programs, majority of users do domestic roundtrips (i mean regional trips I guess).
And why not YQ? About 1% of members are going to redeem on TG or SA or LX. Let's put YQ on those! :P
Even then there are some fairly good deals (SIN-NRT on SQ J for a good price)
TG isn't my first voce, though SA is key for any flying to Africa.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:36 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Does anybody try to make two purchases ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.