Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AF Plat. Ba Gold. SPG Plat. HH Diamond. Miles and Smiles Gold. LH Sen
lufthansa

I send two e-mails to there support email adress about Lufthansa First. I have a lot of miles and want to buy a Lufthansa First award. There is nothing available and I don't receive a response on my emails. What's up? There is nothing about special rules for carriers on there website so it must be available, like 15 days in advance.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0; SM-G900F Build/LRX21T) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/42.0.2311.111 Mobile Safari/537.36)

If you'd posted that on their Facebook page as I've been recommending over and over here, you would have gotten an answer quickly. "subject to availability" and there simply is none.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:33 pm

I found segment by segment availibility but not on the through route. Mailed LM support, attached screen shots and my payment iption, miles&cash. Booking was done w/in 24hrs and waiting now for the manual payment call.
If i get the ticket numbers (why should I doubt it) that was a real quick and straight forward thing. Europe-SE Asia, incl SQ 78.000 miles in C, ttl 2 travellers
Old May 30, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
TK Phantom Availability?

Originally Posted by harryhv
Turkish Airlines not working?

IAH-IST is available in C for eg 13 Mar but immediately you select the flight the website falls over with "a problem processing your transaction".
I am running into a painfully familiar situation. Booking simple non-stop IST to SFO route. System shows as available, but errors out in the next screen. I've called Customer Service and while they are very nice, they can do nothing for me. They told me to take screen caps of everything and send to LM Support which I did, but they replied that the inventory is not available. I can still see it as available, and ExpertFlyer confirms that it is available. I frantically purchased LM last night to take advantage of the 2x1 offer. Feeling like a schmuck this morning and hoping anyone can offer a glimmer of hope with any success stories they have dealing specifically with TK routings.

Last edited by MillValleyMom; May 30, 2015 at 9:59 am
Old May 30, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: JJ OW Emerald, TK*G, O6*G, Smiles Diamond, IC Amb, Le Club Platinum, former LH SEN (miss it!)
Originally Posted by MillValleyMom
I am running into a painfully familiar situation. Booking simple non-stop IST to SFO route. System shows as available, but errors out in the next screen. I've called Customer Service and while they are very nice, they can do nothing for me. They told me to take screen caps of everything and send to LM Support which I did, but they replied that the inventory is not available. I can still see it as available, and ExpertFlyer confirms that it is available. I frantically purchased LM last night to take advantage of the 2x1 offer. Feeling like a schmuck this morning and hoping anyone can offer a glimmer of hope with any success stories they have dealing specifically with TK routings.
Have you tried to select Turkish Airlines in the scroll bar? It helped me once I was having problems to finalize a purchase in NH F.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by AlexMC
Have you tried to select Turkish Airlines in the scroll bar? It helped me once I was having problems to finalize a purchase in NH F.
Yes, that is how I can find the flights available. I select TK and the dates, and the flight I want pops up as available. It's the next screen where the system errors out.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Yes, that is how I can find the flights available. I select TK and the dates, and the flight I want pops up as available. It's the next screen where the system errors out.
I would try the screenshot and email method again ( although don't tell them this is a second attempt) their systems and agents are unreliable so you may get a different result
Old May 31, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by wtcmor
I would try the screenshot and email method again ( although don't tell them this is a second attempt) their systems and agents are unreliable so you may get a different result
So, I did figure out a hack for this (at least for Turkish Air) and a way to ticket the itinerary online without going through the call center. I don't know if this is one of those closely guarded secrets where I'll be flamed for posting, so DM me and I can share details.

Last edited by MillValleyMom; May 31, 2015 at 1:58 pm
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:51 am

So, I did figure out a hack for this (at least for Turkish Air) and a way to ticket the itinerary online without going through the call center. I don't know if this is one of those closely guarded secrets where I'll be flamed for posting, so DM me and I can share details.
It does not appear that this is some secret hack that I stumbled upon, so I will just post my experience here and hope that it can benefit others.

I was trying to book a non-stop flight on TK from IST to either SFO or LAX, and both routes had availability. The flight would come up when I ran the search, but when I actually went to ticket it, I got an error message. Hours on the phone with customer service yielded nothing but an "I'm sorry. There is no availability." I started playing around with other flights leaving out of different airports, and one of those flights connected onto the exact same TK flight I was trying to book. When I went to ticket that reservation (with an additional international segment), it worked! So, we are now flying ATH/IST/SFO vs. just IST/SFO - which turns out to be a better route for us. I tried this with several variations, and they all worked as long as there were two international segments (FRA/IST/SFO as well as SFO/IST/FCO). I guess you could route yourself in a way to take advantage of the long haul, and then just throw away the final leg. Hope this helps!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:00 pm

You will find it on the trick-it thread mentioned as RMS or LifeMiles' Reverse Married Segments phenomenon. It happens similarly where you add an extra leg at the end, as seen in this old example where one couldn't book to FRA or MUC alone but could book to points in Europe that connected in FRA/MUC.

Very strange and annoying for sure. Nice that you found an alternative origin that worked for you!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I did my first LifeMiles booking this week - one-way Business Class between Melbourne and Bangkok. Very straightforward, was a bit surprised at the minimal extra charges I had to pay but guessed they're probably a Passenger Movement Charge in Australia and possibly Thailand. Booked, no glitches with my Australian credit card, got the booking email confirmation, went online to the TG site, chose my seat and a few hours later got my ticket receipt for Avianca
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:54 am

LifeMiles Total SCAM

LifeMiles is only good around Colombia
other destinations cost 4 times more than with LifeMiles
there are hardly any choices even from Colombia there are no flights to aisa
and European flights are much cheaper through kayak or other search engines
Email replies from LifeMiles are useless
I will never ever buy LifeMiles again

you better chose Emirate QatarAirways and many other top operators
all your Emails will be answered correctly

Originally Posted by rishis
2x miles or any miles purchase program is a scam! Lifemiles lures people with lucrative miles purchase promotion but the system fails when actually trying to purchase tickets. I tried to buy CCU->SJC route via BKK/NRT on Thai and ANA multiple times with no luck. The system shows error after entering passenger details. I even called and tried to book through an agent and even he wasn't successful (calls keep dropping is another horror story). After investigating he found that ANA will not confirm the tickets, even after calling ANA directly (holding for about an hour). The agent even tried other dates and got the same error. I know this route is available from United MileagePlus and Aeroplan. In general, lifemiles system shows available route but does not allow to complete the ticket purchase. They have problem with other star alliance also like Lufthansa and Singapore. So now I am stuck with my purchased miles as they are useless.

Last edited by macssam; Aug 2, 2015 at 10:04 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:07 am

LifeMiiles Europe-SE Asia sucks

you can fly for U$500 round trip with many good airlines
and select the dates you want

Originally Posted by kanada99
I found segment by segment availibility but not on the through route. Mailed LM support, attached screen shots and my payment iption, miles&cash. Booking was done w/in 24hrs and waiting now for the manual payment call.
If i get the ticket numbers (why should I doubt it) that was a real quick and straight forward thing. Europe-SE Asia, incl SQ 78.000 miles in C, ttl 2 travellers
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by macssam
you can fly for U$500 round trip with many good airlines
and select the dates you want
Its good to try other options, too bad Lifemiles did not work for you. Good Luck.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: Alaska. AA, Kris, QFF, Lifemiles, BA+
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Its good to try other options, too bad Lifemiles did not work for you. Good Luck.
Patronising comment.

It is not Lifemiles that doesn't work, it is their website!!!!

I know how to use Reverse Married Segments,
-filtering mixed cabins,
-finding <8 hr transits,
-emailing screenshots,
-and being patient waiting for that phone call

but when the online booking system stuffs up it all becomes too much for most people.
Unless they employ some good IT people they are destined to become a niche scheme for masochists only.
UA have a smooth booking experience and I guarantee it is not expensive to run a competent online booking setup.
Copa could pull the rug out under Lifemiles except their website seems destined to be a repeat of LM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.