Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by A1pax
A quick question: Can I use my LM account to book flights for third parties, eg relatives? Or, do they need to have their own LM accounts and book their flights from there? Thanks in advance.
You can book the Pope with your account if you want.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
You can book the Pope with your account if you want.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Got it! Will do that ...
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: TK Elite
You can book flights for every tom dick and harry you want, does not need to be you who travels.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
You can book flights for every tom dick and harry you want, does not need to be you who travels.
Many Thanks for confirming this! Just want to make 2 cousins happy - as they have never travelled in J before. They would not know how to buy miles or search for flights etc
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
They would not know how to buy miles or search for flights etc
Will they find the way to the airport? Will they find the aircraft at the airport?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Will they find the way to the airport? Will they find the aircraft at the airport?
ROFL
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
What I meant was that my cousins are older people, and do not use the computer. I want them to visit me in the UK - as they are nice people but not people with means.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
What I meant was that my cousins are older people, and do not use the computer. I want them to visit me in the UK - as they are nice people but not people with means.
I'm 56 years old (I think that makes me "older?" - I'm sure as heck not "young!"), and I know many people my age who can't figure out how to click a link even though they use a computer every day. I am truly grateful that my work is web based, and I think that keeps my mind sharper than average. One must stay on top of this stuff constantly, or it will change and leave you in the dust before you know what hit you.

Personally, I think it's very nice that you are willing to pay for your family to visit you in style. I often do that for family, as I live in Latin America, and I love sharing my new "home" with people who... How can I say this nicely?.... Don't get out much! I have even done so for some close friends who could never afford to make the trip.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
I'm 56 years old (I think that makes me "older?" - I'm sure as heck not "young!"), and I know many people my age who can't figure out how to click a link even though they use a computer every day. I am truly grateful that my work is web based, and I think that keeps my mind sharper than average. One must stay on top of this stuff constantly, or it will change and leave you in the dust before you know what hit you.

Personally, I think it's very nice that you are willing to pay for your family to visit you in style. I often do that for family, as I live in Latin America, and I love sharing my new "home" with people who... How can I say this nicely?.... Don't get out much! I have even done so for some close friends who could never afford to make the trip.
Thanks, Ken, for sharing. My cousins, although not of means or technologically minded, are people who are generous with their time and kind hearted. They would do anything for me, "no worry" they always say. My father often said to me, if I wanted to do something nice for anyone, do it while they are alive. Being able to help my cousins to enjoy a comfortable long haul trip is it.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Availability on SA seems to have disappeared
on the PER-JNB sector at least (haven't checked any other segments)

I've been monitoring availability on this segment for some time - and prior to about a week ago there was always decent J availability far out and also close in. But now nothing - ever it seems

Does anyone know if this is caused by SA removing award inventory, or is it another LM glitch? Or maybe the availability will come back when the higher redemptions come in mid-October?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: TK Elite
Does anyone know if you can buy miles using a diners card?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Availability on SA seems to have disappeared
on the PER-JNB sector at least (haven't checked any other segments)

I've been monitoring availability on this segment for some time - and prior to about a week ago there was always decent J availability far out and also close in. But now nothing - ever it seems

Does anyone know if this is caused by SA removing award inventory, or is it another LM glitch? Or maybe the availability will come back when the higher redemptions come in mid-October?
I've checked ANA and can't find anything even for JNB-CPT, which has 20 flights every day.

Maybe just a temporary glitch...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by zagy
I've checked ANA and can't find anything even for JNB-CPT, which has 20 flights every day.

Maybe just a temporary glitch...
Thanks for checking that zagy

That got me thinking - and I went and checked in the "Other Middle Eastern African" forum
and there's a thread there discussing it
Seems that at the moment SA awards seats can only be seen by SA itself, and no other *A airlines can see them
Hopefully this is a glitch that will soon be fixed
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:55 am

SA availability is back
See the thread in the the other forum
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I booked a fairly simple one way with the some life miles I had bought way back. I've never booked with them but I did get a confirmation number and email. If I pull up checkmytrip no ticket number is present. IF I go to UA.com and check it all says is:

This reservation is not ticketed.
We will hold this reservation until midnight Tue., Oct. 7, 2014 in Washington, DC
Now I would like to book my return with Aeroplan, but given that it's within 22 days of return as of today I would be unable to cancel the return if for some reason the outbound didn't work. Should I worry? I've read somewhere that LM can take 24-48 hours to ticket... Or is it relatively safe to go ahead and book the return? FWIW I also see a pending charge on my CC.

Thanks!
FDW

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.