Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Avianca/Taca Lifemiles may be Best Program in Star

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avianca/Taca Lifemiles may be Best Program in Star

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by pschafer
Advice needed - to buy or not to buy

I have been following this thread for a couple of months since joining LM. I have 0 miles at present and planned to make a decision on buying when the next 2 for 1 promo came up.

So I guess I have a few concerns which others may wish to comment on:-

- I and my SO have about 300,000 DM miles each and with the upcoming merger with AA we know the days of *A redemptions under this program are numbered. So LM seems like a backup so to say.

- We also have AA miles - but this is not really part of the decision process here - these are kept as a "fallback" for when a *A redemption is not feasible/available.

- We have a stash of SQ KF miles - currently held in as AmEx reward points - sufficient for several return C/J flights on SQ ex-SYD to Europe. These are sort of held for a "rainy" day as AmEX reward points don't expire.

- So I would go for the current LM promo in an instant but here are my concerns:-
(1) *A availability in C or F overall currently seems to be at an all time low, particularly ex-Australia (e.g. nothing on NZ, nothing on UA TPAC all year, almost nothing on AC TPAC all year, SQ pretty good as far as SIN only, nothing on LH, LX, OS ex-Asia except for close in, .... and the list goes on). So if it weren't for OZ and TG we Aussies would be in big trouble.
(2) there seem to be lots of issues/restrictions booking with LM online and the call center is a nightmare.

So what am I missing - lots of the regular posters on this forum are also active on the US Air forum so I guess you see/use benefits which I don't quite get. (I have read the "trick it" stuff on another thread and while I really don't get it - I suspect these sort of loopholes probably don't apply to my sort of travel - i.e. my objective to get to where I want to go in the shortest possible way not find some convoluted routing which maximises travel time).

TIA.
It all depends on your travel requirements... if you are happy to fly TG and OZ then you can buy lifemiles. If you travel a lot ex AU to anywhere in Asia or India (or even intra-Asia) LM are a good investment and can be a lot cheaper than USDM. (SQ is pretty much wide open for Australia to Asia/India).

For 'shortest possible route' then USDM and LM have the same problems for AU-USA - almost impossible to find non-stops unless you book 365 days out, or within a week or two of departure (last week UA opened wide up in F and J from MEL/SYD to either LAX or SFO within a week of departure, so I could change for a fee). USDM has the advantage that if you want to lock in USA from AU you can do that via Asia (but it really does add on the hours)
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by phat-dave
Shame its now 35USD per 1000
Originally Posted by mlqsko
75k for $2250 is $30/k
Conflicting wording... I wonder if they're going to pull back miles... has anyone purchased?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Conflicting wording... I wonder if they're going to pull back miles... has anyone purchased?
Going to do it now. Will update.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:52 am

I purchased 75k 8 hours ago, posted immediately, CC charged $1 (probably authorization) + $2250 sharp.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still $15. Miles purchased have posted. ^
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Still $15. Miles purchased have posted. ^
Yay time to purchase now.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yay time to purchase now.
Posted as soon as purchase made ^
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:22 am

I like LM's IT. When purchasing miles the list of countries are Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, and then Germany. Hilarious.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:44 am

Germany = Alemania. USA is in Estados Unidos spot too or was at one point.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:48 pm

Since this early morning I have tried several times to price out a North America-North Asia biz award after I select the searched itinerary and clicked "continue" after the "more than one connecting flight" message showed up, but then I got the following message "Sorry, There was problem while processing your transaction.
Please try again.If the problem persists or you need additional information please contact LifeMiles Support."
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
Since this early morning I have tried several times to price out a North America-North Asia biz award after I select the searched itinerary and clicked "continue" after the "more than one connecting flight" message showed up, but then I got the following message "Sorry, There was problem while processing your transaction.
Please try again.If the problem persists or you need additional information please contact LifeMiles Support."
Same here since last week.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
I think they're not letting it go through

Originally Posted by maverick17
Germany = Alemania. USA is in Estados Unidos spot too or was at one point.
Oh that makes sense.

Oh colombo seems to be searchable now. I just hope they don't take an atlas and check everything over...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:29 am

Programs: LH FTL, PC Plat,Hilton Gold

Oh colombo seems to be searchable now.
So it looks like few days ago it was not only window dressing. They did some improvements .
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by ulus
So it looks like few days ago it was not only window dressing. They did some improvements .
CMB was searchable prior to the reskin of the site...from some point in late March.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:24 am

Trying to make a booking but can't get past the travelers names page, can't get to the payment. Any ideas?

Sorry, There was problem while processing your transaction.
Please try again.If the problem persists or you need additional information please contact LifeMiles Support.

Edit: Just checked with EF, no I space available on both flights, but Lifemiles site showing availability.

Last edited by mlqsko; Apr 9, 2013 at 7:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.