Avianca - US 24 hour refund policy

Old May 5, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Avianca - US 24 hour refund policy

1) Purchased a ticket while physically in Hong Kong but in the US website.
2) Requested a refund within 24 hours.
3) When I check the Country of Purchase for my ticket, it says United States.

Am I eligible for a full refund according to Avianca's Cancellations Policy?

Also, their system says my ticket was purchased in El Salvador. But when I check their website, it is United States.

What do I do now?
Old May 5, 2017, 1:13 pm

This belongs in the Avianca forum. A moderator has been notified.

P.S. Have you requested a refund? Has that request been rejected?
Old May 5, 2017, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk fairy_catcher.

As this is specific to a carrier (AV) we'll move this to the AV forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 5, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If the only connection to the US is the fact that the OP booked (non-US flights) on the US webpage of Avianca, I fail to see how the 24-hour reservation requirement set by the US Department of Transportation should apply.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
ticket touching the US?
Old May 10, 2017, 2:57 pm

I was denied a refund on an award ticket that I was trying to cancel within 24 hours of booking. Phone told me to e-mail support. Support told me to call phone. It's a joke.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:07 am

Why assume the 24h grace period?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Had a ticket booked in my name instead of my wife's name (mix up over the phone)... trying to have that fixed now (literally 1 hour after ticketing).

Update: was able to cancel the ticket without any fee within 24 hours. Itinerary was LAX-VIE-IST, o/w. Miles refunded instantly, tax within 6-10 days.

Last edited by oneworld82; Jul 27, 2017 at 6:15 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Had a ticket booked in my name instead of my wife's name (mix up over the phone)... trying to have that fixed now (literally 1 hour after ticketing).

Update: was able to cancel the ticket without any fee within 24 hours. Itinerary was LAX-VIE-IST, o/w. Miles refunded instantly, tax within 6-10 days.
I am on the phone with them now trying to cancel LifeMiles award ticket booked less than 24 hours ago. They are saying no way do they waive the cancellation fee. Hmmm.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by dval44
I am on the phone with them now trying to cancel LifeMiles award ticket booked less than 24 hours ago. They are saying no way do they waive the cancellation fee. Hmmm.
Update. I HUCAd and got someone who said yes, there may be no fee.

She put in a ticket and said the miles should be back in my account in 10 days and the credit card fees should be refunded in 30-90 (!) days.

But then she gave me a ticket # and said to call back if miles weren't back within 10 days. So that didn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Why oh why do I do this to myself.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by dval44
Update. I HUCAd and got someone who said yes, there may be no fee.

She put in a ticket and said the miles should be back in my account in 10 days and the credit card fees should be refunded in 30-90 (!) days.

But then she gave me a ticket # and said to call back if miles weren't back within 10 days. So that didn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Why oh why do I do this to myself.
Any update on this? It's been 2 weeks since I requested a refund within 24 hours of booking, still nothing. Followed up with email a few times and got the canned response of they're working on it..
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Here's the thing with AV, and by all means it's not a bad airline, they just suck at CS.

They're call center is in El Salvador (or last time I checked it was). A good percentage of those that book are from latin american countries. Either the agents are told to play dumb with the 24 hour rule in the US or they just outright are never told.

I had an issue in October when I tried to cancel only 4 hours after I booked, saying that because I was going to a Central American country I couldn't cancel although I was originating and was in the US when I booked, using their US website. I literally had to tell the agent where on their website it was and how it's a mandatory thing.

It took 2 months and a lot of calls to get it refunded. I honestly don't like AV's CS one bit, they're onboard product is ok and FA's are ok, but Copa's CS and website are much much better. I just hate going down to PTY just to back around to SJO.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:42 am

Hi,
Just did the 24h cancellation. Booked and ticketed while in Japan, website region selected to "Rest of the world".
Just called in after an hour, mentioned I booked by mistake, and wanted a free cancel within 24 hours. (actually wrong date, I realized when I was choosing seats on the operating airline website)
No fuss, or push-back.
Miles got back to me in a week, the taxes etc. still being processed by my CC.
So, 24h cancellation still works.
sushimaru likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:28 pm

Hi,
Just did the 24h cancellation. Booked and ticketed while in Japan, website region selected to "Rest of the world".
Just called in after an hour, mentioned I booked by mistake, and wanted a free cancel within 24 hours. (actually wrong date, I realized when I was choosing seats on the operating airline website)
No fuss, or push-back.
Miles got back to me in a week, the taxes etc. still being processed by my CC.
So, 24h cancellation still works.
Did they have to open a case for you to have it cancelled? Or was the agent able to cancel the ticket for you on the spot?

They opened a case for me a month ago, every follow up attempt yielded the response "an analyst is working on it" ..
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by oneworld82

This is covered by the US DOT rules because it is a departure from the US. Whether booked through the US website or with a US POS is irrelevant.

The DOT rule on this is very clear and applies to non-US carriers only as to tickets containing segments to or from the US.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.