Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

lounge access for late night AV flight LAX to BOG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I am flying out of the late night AV flight from LAX to BOG on April 28. After some exhaustive searches online, it looks like both the Air NZ and AC lounges at T2 close around 10 to 10:30 pm. Are there any lounges that star Gold passengers can use for this late night flight after clearing security at T2?

I will be flying from SAN to LAX first on UA, with a 4.5 hour layover at LAX. I wonder if I should hang out at the United Club for as long as possible, before moving over to T2 for my AV flight, especially if I will have no lounge access at T2? Everyone raves about the Star lounge at TBIT, but I really don't want to go from Terminal 7, to TBIT, then again to T2 for my AV flight.

Thank you.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
TBIT is the best lounge you can get at LAX. I would do that, specially given that you have a 4.5 layover.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
I am actually in the same boat as you, leaving LAX-BOG in a couple of weeks. Seems as if the Star Alliance Lounge closes around 12:30, so even that an ideal option as it closes 2 hours before you depart.

I think honestly your best option is the United Club.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses posted so far.

I have never entered the security area at TBIT, just to use a lounge. If I were to show security my AV boarding pass and explain that I'd like to use the Star lounge inside TBIT, would they let me through security (even though the AV flight does not leave from TBIT)? Also, when I exit the star lounge at TBIT to go to T2 for my AV flight, is it pretty easy to just walk out of the security area at TBIT?

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I'm pretty sure the AC lounge in T2 stays open later since CA has a departure close to 2am as well from T2.

Also, the NZ lounge in T2 is no more; NZ's lounge is now the TBIT *A lounge.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
OP

You can stay air side and get to TBIT and the Star Alliance Lounge. It's a walk but head to Terminal 6 using the connector between T7 and T6 keep left when you making sure you don't head back land side at the end of the connector. Take the tunnel between T6 to T5 and T4 head up to T4 at the end of the tunnel. Head down the terminal until you see the signs for TBIT which is just past Gate 41 and before the TSA on your left. Then up the escalator, across another connector, up a couple of moving sidewalks and you'll be in TBIT. Stay on the level you get to in TBIT and go past the QANTAS First, Korean, and Oneworld lounges and keep going that way until you get to the escalator by the bar in the upscale dining area. Head up the escalator and the lounge is to your left as you get off the escalator.

The lounge staff is very helpful and will be able to get you over to T2 in plenty of time to catch your flight.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks , Ttuna3

I am just checking the posts on here now, after having made it to the star lounge at TBIT.

Much to my surprise, a very helpful staff at the United Club at T7 suggested that I go to the star lounge to hang out before my AV flight. She gave me directions on how to stay airside. It was a long walk from T7 to TBIT using the underground walkway, but given the long layover I have, a little exercise didn't hurt...

But much to my annoyance, the star lounge was super crowded when I arrived - much more so than the United Club (at least in the business class section - no idea how crowded it is in the first class section now). I almost wished I had stayed at the United Club - just for more space and privacy....

Moving onto T2 soon - star lounge closes at 1 am - perfect timing for me to head over to T2 to go thru security again...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kworo
Everyone raves about the Star lounge at TBIT, but I really don't want to go from Terminal 7, to TBIT, then again to T2 for my AV flight.
Actually that's a nice way to get from T7 to T2. Stay airside from T7 to TBIT, then when you're done with the *A lounge, exit landside and walk on the top level from TBIT to T2. T7 - TBIT is 20 minutes, TBIT to T2 is maybe 10 minutes. You'll have to reclear security at T2.

Your alternatives are take the awful intra-terminal shuttle, or cut across the parking lot from T7 to T2, which is not your easiest trek.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone.

Indeed, the walk from TBIT to T2 was not bad at all.

As I was guessing, there are no lounges that are available to use at T2 at this time of the night. When I asked the AV agent at the check in desk if there are any lounges that I could use, she simply said that the AC lounge, which they normally use, is now closed.

AV is moving over to TBIT very soon, right, at LAX? So, this subject will become irrelevant. But for those of you who will be taking this late night flight to BOG in the next two to three weeks (before the move from T2 to TBIT), I have to agree that the star lounge is not a bad choice to hang out at - if you have a lot of time.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Some TSA agents try to deny you access, but most are pretty cool. They just go "oh wrong terminal" and I simply say "yup, I'm just going to the lounge on the side" and they let me through to screening.

The Star lounge is brilliant, especially the outdoor terrace. The TBIT in and of itself is worth checking out. Whenever I fly to LAX it's a miserable experience since it's either on UA or AC. The terminals and connections are generally hot garbage. But I got a chance to check it out on an extended layover much like yours a while back.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:29 pm

Hopefully Avianca moves to TBIT soon. Recently tried out the $2,000 rt LAX-BOG-MAD, and while the price was nice, I'm not sure I'd do it again because of all the hassles.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by op487062
Hopefully Avianca moves to TBIT soon. Recently tried out the $2,000 rt LAX-BOG-MAD, and while the price was nice, I'm not sure I'd do it again because of all the hassles.
They move to TBIT in less than two weeks.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Is there a way to determine what terminal the LAX - BOG flight departs from now that the 'terminal move' has been completed?

I know Check in is at T3. But does the plane gate actually depart from T3 or TBIT.

LAX seems to think TBIT (according to their maps/directions). However, Avianca told me on the phone T3? Although I'm not sure if they were just referring to check-in which is located there.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Is there a way to determine what terminal the LAX - BOG flight departs from now that the 'terminal move' has been completed?

I know Check in is at T3. But does the plane gate actually depart from T3 or TBIT.

LAX seems to think TBIT (according to their maps/directions). However, Avianca told me on the phone T3? Although I'm not sure if they were just referring to check-in which is located there.
Definitely TBIT.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Just adding some additional info:

Now that AV utilizes TBIT (Check in at T3, walk outside security to TBIT) passengers have access to the TBIT lounge.

With the LAX-BOG departure around 2AM, the TBIT *A lounge informed me that they close when they call Air China for boarding around 1:15AM. This seems like a soft closure and it appears they remain open, but cut off alcohol around 1AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.