Search

Internal Peru fares for foreigners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Internal Peru fares for foreigners

In reading various sites, I've seen reference to the "gringo tax" for the LIM-CUZ round-trip I'm looking to purchase. On LATAM, Kayak shows $160 but the airline's website shows $380.

When I go to Avianca's site, and set my location as Peru, and in English, I get the warning that Promo and Econo fares are for residents only. The results show those as $50-80/segment and the Flex fares at $190/segment.

But if I set my location to the US, in English, I get the same warning, only see Flex and Business fares, but the cost for Flex is US$83 per segment. Am I safe buying these tickets?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They seem to have checks in place:

Code:
**  RULES DISPLAY  **                  TAX MAY APPLY                            
                                       SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE                 
02JAN17**02JAN17/AV LIMCUZ/NSP;WH/TPM   357/MPM .....                           
LN FARE BASIS    OW   USD  RT   B PEN  DATES/DAYS   AP MIN MAX R                
23+TZY28TNQ                  31 T NRF B31DEC C31DEC+  +  + 180+R                
FCL: TZY28TNQ  TRF:  17 RULE: DOSP BK:  T                                       
PTC: ADT-ADULT              FTC: XEX-REGULAR EXCURSION                          
FARE FAMILY            : PROMO                                                  
SR.SALES RESTRICT                                                               

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 31DEC 17.                                    
FROM/TO PERU FOR TZY28TNQ TYPE FARES                                            

TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN PERU.                                             
         NOTE -                                                                 
          PROMOTION--APPLIES FOR PERUVIAN RESIDENTS--                           
          RESIDENCE IN PERU SHALL BE ACCREDITED WITH                            
          PERUVIAN ID OR ALIEN CARD OTHERWISE AN ADDITIONAL                     
          CHARGE OF USD 178.5 WILL BE APPLIED OR BOARDING                       
          WILL BE DENIED.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I assume that's the rules for the fare I didn't select.

Perhaps I wasn't clear - When using the Peru site, there are 4 fare categories - 2 for residents only, 2 for others. The others' fare is $350+

When using the US site, I get the same warning of the fare types, but only the fares for non-residents is shown (Flex). The Flex fares on the US site are much cheaper then the Flex fares on the Peru site, though not as cheap as the resident fares on the Peru site.

I read the T&Cs and did not see what was posted above - and I looked pretty closely for it.

The fact that it says "TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN PERU." tells me this was not the US-based tickets I'm looking at.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I copied/scnned/searched the fare rules (24 pages in Word) and the word "resident" doesn't appear.

1 - PSGR P1-4 ADT RULES DISPLAY
FARE COMPONENT 1 ADT LIMCUZ AV EZE00RIH
FCL: EZE00RIH TRF: 329 RULE: DO21 BK: E
PTC: ADT-ADULT FTC: XEX-REGULAR EXCURSION

Screen shots to help.

If I set my location as Peru, and Language as English, I get this warning, for a LIM-CUZ trip for 4:

and then am shown 4 fares - the two for residents only (Promo and Econo) and 2 others (Flex and Business): Flex fares are $190 one-way

When I switch my location to the US, I get a similar warning, specifically calling out Promo and Econo fares as resident-only:

and am shown only Flex and Business, but the Flex fares are cheaper

I see nothing in the US-based Flex fare terms that say resident only.

So it appears that fares for non-residents are cheaper when purchased in the US than when purchased in Peru, but not as cheap as resident fares. But I've seen enough warnings abut a "gringo tax" and "fine print" and $187/person/segment that I'd like to be sure.

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 2, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Sorry, no response here ... but another question: Which fare class are the "foreigner" flex fares booking into? This can be quite relevant in terms of earnings.

Just another point: I don't like the term "gringo tax". Gringo means - more widely - a non-latin type language speaking foreigner, more narrowly a US American. Now the Peruvian pricing, which is due to subsidies paid by Peruvian tax payers, applies to all non-citizens or non-residents, e.g. also those speaking a latin based language, even direct neighbours ... I find it quite understandable the Peruvian government doesn't want to subsidize international tourists.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Sorry, no response here ... but another question: Which fare class are the "foreigner" flex fares booking into? This can be quite relevant in terms of earnings.
Is it in here somewhere?

1 - PSGR P1-4 ADT RULES DISPLAY
FARE COMPONENT 1 ADT LIMCUZ AV EZE00RIH
FCL: EZE00RIH TRF: 329 RULE: DO21 BK: E
PTC: ADT-ADULT FTC: XEX-REGULAR EXCURSION

Elsewhere, it says: "FOR EZE00RIH TYPE FARES"..

So I'm going out on a limb with 'E', just based on experience with other airlines, where it's the first character of the fare basis string (and I don't see X as an option)

The resident Promo fares say "FCL: TZY28TNQ", so that would be T, by the same logic.

Just another point: I don't like the term "gringo tax".
Sorry, but I didn't invent it.

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 3, 2017 at 3:26 pm
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Additional info I found, clicking on the fare:

Air Transportation Charges

Base fare USD122.00
Includes USD 80.00 International/Domestic surcharge.

Total Air transportation charges USD122.00

Taxes, Fees and Charges
Airport Tax (International) (HWDE) USD15.17

Sales tax (Peru) (PEAD) USD21.96

Total Taxes, fees and charges USD37.13

Total per Adult USD159.13
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
So I've stumbled on a bit of this whole "pricing for residents only" concept that I've seen discussed in a couple different places. I guess my question is, if I use Google Flights for LIM-CUS, I get a price for ~$100 and when I search Avianca site I get ~$200.

If I click buy from Google Flights I'm taken to Avianca website and still offered the ~$100 flight.

Will I have a problem later? Is that a resident-only fare? Is there any possible way of understanding what fares are/aren't resident-only fares by looking through restrictions, fare codes, etc.?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:05 pm

Help!

Hello,

I am wondering if / what there was any resolution to the original posters problem?

I recently booked flights via Google flights on the Juliaca - Lima route for $88pp on the economy fare.

I didn't notice any warnings (read all the fare notes and conditions) and now I am worried about the penalty charge, I would prefer to resolve now rather than at the airport.

My confirmation email is copied below and also has no mention of the Peru resident fare. Unfortunately we need to travel with luggage.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Thanks in advance,

ISSUING AIRLINE : TACA PERU
RUC : 20348858182
TICKET NUMBER : ETKT 530 XXXXXXXX
BOOKING REF : AMADEUS: , AIRLINE: TA/5EXXXX

FROM /TO FLIGHT CL DATE DEP FARE BASIS NVB NVA BAG ST

JULIACA INCO AV 802 P 30AUG 2130 PEX00RIQ 1PC OK
MNCO CAPAC INTL
LIMA JORGE ARRIVAL TIME: 2307 ARRIVAL DATE: 30AUG
CHAVEZ INTL

AT CHECK-IN, PLEASE SHOW A PICTURE IDENTIFICATION AND THE DOCUMENT YOU GAVE
FOR REFERENCE AT RESERVATION TIME

ENDORSEMENTS : /C1 FULLY REF/CHG FEE USD15 PLUS FARE DIFF ENDOS PEN
PAYMENT : CC CA X
MT

FARE CALCULATION :JUL AV LIM Q12.00 59.00USD71.00END

AIR FARE : USD 71.00
TAX : USD 4.55HW USD 12.78PE
TOTAL : USD 88.33

NOTICE
CARRIAGE AND OTHER SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE CARRIER ARE SUBJECT TO CONDITIONS
OF CARRIAGE, WHICH ARE HEREBY INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE. THESE CONDITIONS MAY
BE OBTAINED FROM THE ISSUING CARRIER.

THE ITINERARY/RECEIPT CONSTITUTES THE PASSENGER TICKET FOR THE PURPOSES OF
ARTICLE 3 OF THE WARSAW CONVENTION, EXCEPT WHERE THE CARRIER DELIVERS TO THE
PASSENGER ANOTHER DOCUMENT COMPLYING WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF ARTICLE 3.

PASSENGERS ON A JOURNEY INVOLVING AN ULTIMATE DESTINATION OR A STOP IN A
COUNTRY OTHER THAN THE COUNTRY OF DEPARTURE ARE ADVISED THAT INTERNATIONAL
TREATIES KNOWN AS THE MONTREAL CONVENTION, OR ITS PREDECESSOR, THE WARSAW
CONVENTION, INCLUDING ITS AMENDMENTS (THE WARSAW CONVENTION SYSTEM), MAY APPLY
TO THE ENTIRE JOURNEY, INCLUDING ANY PORTION THEREOF WITHIN A COUNTRY. FOR
SUCH PASSENGERS, THE APPLICABLE TREATY, INCLUDING SPECIAL CONTRACTS OF
CARRIAGE EMBODIED IN ANY APPLICABLE TARIFFS, GOVERNS AND MAY LIMIT THE
LIABILITY OF THE CARRIER. THESE CONVENTIONS GOVERN AND MAY LIMIT THE
LIABILITYOF AIR CARRIERS FOR DEATH OR BODILY INJURY OR LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO
BAGGAGE, AND FOR DELAY.

THE CARRIAGE OF CERTAIN HAZARDOUS MATERIALS, LIKE AEROSOLS, FIREWORKS,AND
FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS, ABOARD THE AIRCRAFT IS FORBIDDEN. IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND
THESE RESTRICTIONS, FURTHER INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM YOUR AIRLINE.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:29 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Just another point: I don't like the term "gringo tax". Gringo means - more widely - a non-latin type language speaking foreigner, more narrowly a US American. Now the Peruvian pricing, which is due to subsidies paid by Peruvian tax payers, applies to all non-citizens or non-residents, e.g. also those speaking a latin based language, even direct neighbours ... I find it quite understandable the Peruvian government doesn't want to subsidize international tourists.
I also dislike the term "gringo tax", but want to clarify that there is no subsidy or discount from Peruvian tax payers in this case. This is just Avianca (and LATAM) deciding to restrict certain promotional fares to residents-only. It doesn't have anything to do with any government-mandated regulation.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:33 am

Happy New Year to all! This subject is very confusing...brain is just not processing well after the New Year's holiday!

Specific to Avianca:

-I could purchase an award in J, IAD-BOG-LIM-CUZ. Both LM and UA have availability. The only availability for the LIM-CUZ leg is late the next day (I'll essentially have 18 hours in LIM.)
-That said, there is a lot of availability on earlier AV flights, so I could purchase the IAD-BOG-LIM as an award and then purchase a separate ticket for LIM-CUZ. That would get me to CUZ earlier at a small additional cost, and would be preferred.

I intend to purchase it via AV or UA, in Y, US-based website. But there seems to be information that when I check-in in Cusco, and I am not a resident of Peru, I will have to pay a significant additional fee. Is this still correct?

If correct, what holds true if I purchase a LIM-CUZ-LIM ticket?

Does it make a difference if I purchase a LIM-CUZ or LIM-CUZ-LIM ticket in J rather than Y?

Thanks much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.