Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

First Time Avianca Business Class down the coast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)

Hello:

I am flying Avianca in Business Class and apparently some of their regional partners (I still don't get who I am flying with as it is marketed Avianca and then some of their partners).

I have never flown Avianca and was trying to see what to expect.

My itinerary is:

AV0621 01AUG LAX-SAL A321
AV0929 02AUG SAL-LIM A330
TA0919 02AUG LIM-POA A319
O66278 03AUG POA-GIG unknown aircraft (this segment in economy - does the plane even have Business?)

I found their website to be lacking what times of the flights meals would be served, as two of my flights are redeyes. Also how comfortable are the seats (e.g.: old retrofit or new?).
Any information on lounges would be great too. In SAL and POA I am considering leaving the airport for dayrooms at hotels, unless their is a good place to relax in the lounge.

Any tips would be appreciated on what to expect. I enjoy the travel as much as the destination.

And if you are wondering the obsecure routing, I actually start upline from LAX and this is part of an eight leg oneway itinerary to get to Rio for the Olympics starting on a long weekend here in Canada. It is an Aeroplan rewards ticket redemption and space, needless to say, is very very limited during this peak season. I have been looking for ways to get to Rio for three months and then the LIM-POA flight became available for the first time the other day (the only way I was able to find to get into Brazil - nothing direct to GRU/GIG/BSB/etc.). So I consider myself lucky that I finally found a way to get there
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by YYC009
My itinerary is:

AV0621 01AUG LAX-SAL A321
AV0929 02AUG SAL-LIM A330
TA0919 02AUG LIM-POA A319
O66278 03AUG POA-GIG unknown aircraft (this segment in economy - does the plane even have Business?)
LAX-SAL is operated by TACA. Domestic F recliner seat.
SAL-LIM and LIM-POA are operated by TACA Peru (Trans American Air). The 319 is also domestic F seat. The A330 is probably the angled flat seat (though Seat Guru says recliner).

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 28, 2016 at 9:10 am
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:30 am

I just flew BOG-PTY in business class on Avianca (operated by Aerogal with Avianca lovey). I must say that I was impressed by the soft and hard product. I did not engage the IFE, but noise cancelling headphones were provided and there was a large seatback display. Pre-departure drinks (orange juice, water, "champagne") were offered. My request for Scotch was readily accommodated. All beverages were served in proper glass stemware, and not forcibly removed before takeoff if you were not finished. The leather seats on the A320 were extremely comfortable with decent pitch and seat width. A hot meal (chicken in passion fruit sauce or beef with chimichurri) was served on the short 70 minute flight. The beef was somewhat tough, but flavorful, accompaniments were good, if not remarkable, and wine was served. The meal was served with a linen napkin, proper dishware, stemware and cutlery. Bailey's was offered as a digestif and/or wine refilled. FA's were professional and accommodating, keeping busy throughout the short flight. This was my first time on Avianca, and I my low expectations were exponentially exceeded. The flight departed early and arrived on time. Boarding from a bus gate was a bit cramped, but this is never anyone's preferred method of embarkation. The Avianca Lounge in Bogota was large, airy and comfortable. Wine and spirits were on offer, with most male guests selecting the Johnnie Walker Black. I would not hesitate to fly them upfront again, and based on that experience, I prefer them over Copa.

Last edited by flyme2; Jul 25, 2016 at 8:08 am
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
As the others said, usually very good and generous food/drink offering. The 318/19/20/21 fleet generally features domestic F style seats, the 330 angled flat.

On the downside, they are not great in respect of ontime performance. The delays are usually not enormous, but can become difficult when connecting onto routes operated less frequently.

Just be aware, the LIMPOA segment is a tough red eye, with probably only about 4 hours 10 minutes in the air and a recliner seat.

And yes, the Avianca Brazil flight from POA to GIG is Economy only (an A320).

Last edited by swiss_global; Jul 25, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Thanks everyone for your help. I start the trip next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.