Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Booking Infant Awards: Impressed with Avianca Call Center!

Booking Infant Awards: Impressed with Avianca Call Center!

Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Drek82
Yes they charged me 10% of the base fare, not including YQ.
Interesting. Looks like YQ can be a benefit for us sometimes.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Rich kids flying in biz are expensive :-D
Yah in hindsight I should have just booked a third ticket for her. It ended up being only ~100 cheaper to go the lap child route ... and the third ticket route would have let her have her own seat to sleep in.

I messed up when I was trying to figure out the 10% cost since I checked a roundtrip ticket and thought it would only cost me ~700 to book her, but since I booked two one ways the price was much higher.

Oh well ... live and learn
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Drek82
Hey All,

I just booked a trip using Lifemiles for an award ticket. I tried adding my lap child to the reservation via the call center and they said that it can't be done and I have to buy a full priced award ticket for the lap child. I made 4 different calls hoping it was just a HUACA situation.

Since my operating carrier is Lufthansa I tried calling their US reservation center (twice) to try and add the infant ticket directly, but they say that since it is an award ticket issued by Taca (202 stock) that they cannot do anything and I need to go through Lifemiles.

I'm not sure what to do at this point ... does anyone else have any experience with this situation? In reading this thread it seemed like it wasn't a big deal to add an infant to an award ticket but I seem to be running into some issues.

Thanks for any guidance

Drek

Update: I tried calling LifeMiles AGAIN thinking I would just cancel the reservation and book a third seat for my infant (and eat the extra cost), but thought since I was on the phone I would try one more time. This was my 5th call to LifeMiles. This time the agent didn't blink an eye and was able to book the infant award tickets without any hassle. The process they went through was to confirm my reservation, then send an email with the infant ticket which I had to wait to receive and confirm that all the information was correct. They then processed my payment.

So the lesson learned in this situation was 5th time is a charm? :-p
I'm in the exact same situation. LH insists Avianca must issue the infant ticket, Avianca insists LH must issue the ticket. I'm on phone call # 4 with Avianca. I'm running out of patience.

Looking back through the thread, there seems to be conflicting experiences. Some have had the operating carrier issue the infant ticket, some have had Avianca. Which is it?!

Last edited by justforfun; Feb 22, 2015 at 6:07 am
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by justforfun
I'm in the exact same situation. LH insists Avianca must issue the infant ticket, Avianca insists LH must issue the ticket. I'm on phone call # 4 with Avianca. I'm running out of patience.

Looking back through the thread, there seems to be conflicting experiences. Some have had the operating carrier issue the infant ticket, some have had Avianca. Which is it?!

I'd really like to know as well. I have 4 one-way adult awards booked LAX-LIR and LIR-LAX in mid-April for a wedding that were booked using LM points on operating carriers TA>GU and GU>TA and have to add 2 infants. If I understand this post correctly, if just add them to the TA portion of each of the one-ways, will they be ticketed through on the connecting GU legs? Or do I have to book them on both TA and GU?

I also just noticed that they changed the outbound and returning flight departures time on us. The outbound was changed from 7:30am to an 11:35pm red-eye departure with an 8hr layover in san salvador!!! I was thinking I'd maybe try to call them and cancel everything, but then I'd be stuck with a ton of LifeMiles that I don't ever think I'd use and no flights to the wedding!

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions on what to do here???
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:13 am

Just to give another data point.

Award ticket for 1 adult in business booked on ZH and OZ. I called multiple times to both OZ and Avianca. The method that ended up working was to call the US based OZ agent and book an infant fare. They tried to get me off the phone multiple times by saying it was issued by TACA, and then that it was actually issues by ZH since they were the first carrier. Just keep telling them that it's possible and don't take no for an answer. Another excuse was mis-matching fare classes...after about the 3rd time of being put on hold the agent was able to successfully get the reservation. Specific to OZ they then give you an email address and reservation number to email them your CC and DL to purchase the fare. Wasn't too painful once you get an agent who knows what they are doing.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: everything
Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper
Just to give another data point.

Award ticket for 1 adult in business booked on ZH and OZ. I called multiple times to both OZ and Avianca. The method that ended up working was to call the US based OZ agent and book an infant fare. They tried to get me off the phone multiple times by saying it was issued by TACA, and then that it was actually issues by ZH since they were the first carrier. Just keep telling them that it's possible and don't take no for an answer. Another excuse was mis-matching fare classes...after about the 3rd time of being put on hold the agent was able to successfully get the reservation. Specific to OZ they then give you an email address and reservation number to email them your CC and DL to purchase the fare. Wasn't too painful once you get an agent who knows what they are doing.
Just wondering how much did you pay for lap child to OZ?
Did you pay 10% of adult fare?
Old May 26, 2016, 5:28 am

Just got off the phone with their (US phone, not sure where I ended) call center. Had an itinerary that was giving an error on the web site (mix of biz/eco NH/NZ), so I emailed [email protected] with the screenshot of the flights available on the site and the pax names. Within 24 hours they have made a reservation and emailed the details asking me to call and complete the payment. Just did so and it took 15mins while the agent was communicating my card details to the respective department.

Card was charged and now expecting the etickets within the next 2-3 hours (as per what the agent said). Only minor issue is that they gave me a deadline of less than 24 hours to call and pay for the reservation once I got the reservation.

Overall, a positive experience.

UPDATE: Just got the receipts for the taxes and the etickets - 9 mins later.

Last edited by mlqsko; May 26, 2016 at 5:37 am
Old May 26, 2016, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Just got off the phone with their (US phone, not sure where I ended) call center. Had an itinerary that was giving an error on the web site (mix of biz/eco NH/NZ), so I emailed [email protected] with the screenshot of the flights available on the site and the pax names. Within 24 hours they have made a reservation and emailed the details asking me to call and complete the payment. Just did so and it took 15mins while the agent was communicating my card details to the respective department.

Card was charged and now expecting the etickets within the next 2-3 hours (as per what the agent said). Only minor issue is that they gave me a deadline of less than 24 hours to call and pay for the reservation once I got the reservation.

Overall, a positive experience.

UPDATE: Just got the receipts for the taxes and the etickets - 9 mins later.
Thanks for the data point - helps to put in some details like was it infant ticket (assume yes since this is infant thread), operating carrier, etc.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by ExSin
Thanks for the data point - helps to put in some details like was it infant ticket (assume yes since this is infant thread), operating carrier, etc.
It wasn't an infant ticket and the carriers were mentioned. I see this thread as about the call center than the infant itself
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:35 pm

Smile

My wife and I will be booking firstclass JFK-BKK )one way)through Lifemiles fro January travel. Its our first time using Lifemiles so I am a bit confused of the policy for infants. We plan to bring our 4 month old son with us as "infant in lap"--I see conflicting advice in this thread so wanted to see if anyone can advise the current policy?
-first we purchase our 2 adult first class one way tickets through lifemiles
-now i get confused--do I call lifemiles do add and pay for an Infant @ 10% or do I call the actual airline(in this case it is probably Asiana) and have them do it?
This our first time flying with the baby so we definitely picked a long flight to start him off with! Do they give the baby a secure bassinet? I was concerned on how the baby would be safe in the event of turbulence
Lastly any idea of when the next lifemiles promo will be? We just missed the last one!
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by AmsterdamChris
My wife and I will be booking firstclass JFK-BKK )one way)through Lifemiles fro January travel. Its our first time using Lifemiles so I am a bit confused of the policy for infants. We plan to bring our 4 month old son with us as "infant in lap"--I see conflicting advice in this thread so wanted to see if anyone can advise the current policy?
-first we purchase our 2 adult first class one way tickets through lifemiles
-now i get confused--do I call lifemiles do add and pay for an Infant @ 10% or do I call the actual airline(in this case it is probably Asiana) and have them do it?
This our first time flying with the baby so we definitely picked a long flight to start him off with! Do they give the baby a secure bassinet? I was concerned on how the baby would be safe in the event of turbulence
Lastly any idea of when the next lifemiles promo will be? We just missed the last one!
Thanks in advance
I had to call Lifemiles and Lufthansa(the operating carrier) 3-4 times each to finally book the infant ticket. The ultimate solution: Lufthansa had to book the ticket, but it was imperative to tell the agent you want to book an infant REVENUE ticket, not a mileage ticket. The Lufthansa agents would look at the reservation, see it's a Lifemiles award ticket, and automatically assume you want to book the infant ticket with miles and tell you to call Lifemiles. Lifemiles says they can't do it and to call Lufthansa. Back and forth and back and forth. It wasn't until I realized the distinction between an infant mileage ticket and an infant revenue(10%) ticket. Then it was a piece of cake.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:57 am

I had to call Lifemiles and Lufthansa(the operating carrier) 3-4 times each to finally book the infant ticket. The ultimate solution: Lufthansa had to book the ticket, but it was imperative to tell the agent you want to book an infant REVENUE ticket, not a mileage ticket. The Lufthansa agents would look at the reservation, see it's a Lifemiles award ticket, and automatically assume you want to book the infant ticket with miles and tell you to call Lifemiles. Lifemiles says they can't do it and to call Lufthansa. Back and forth and back and forth. It wasn't until I realized the distinction between an infant mileage ticket and an infant revenue(10%) ticket. Then it was a piece of cake.
Thanks Justforfun, much appreciated! Also, when they book the infant ticket, price is 10% of face value of ticket? Did they give you a bassinet? Its our first flight with baby so we curious how we secure the baby--I am concerned about turbulence
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:03 am

Thanks Justforfun, much appreciated! Also, when they book the infant ticket, price is 10% of face value of ticket? Did they give you a bassinet? Its our first flight with baby so we curious how we secure the baby--I am concerned about turbulence
Yes, 10% of the revenue fare. For first class on Asiana, that may be $1000+++. Ouch. We were able to reserve a bassinet seat. Otherwise we would have just put him in the overhead bins.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:29 am

Yes, 10% of the revenue fare. For first class on Asiana, that may be $1000+++. Ouch. We were able to reserve a bassinet seat. Otherwise we would have just put him in the overhead bins.
Thanks again, it is very expensive to fly Asiana but with lifemiles we get it for considerably less. I was pricing sample intineries and when i added an infant under 2 it was very close is price to the adult fare! Adult was $10,000, infant was $9,000--i going to have to call them to get the infant policy before i buy the seats from lifemiles otherwise this whole purchase could blow up in my face!
If their is no bassinets what is there to keep a 5 month old baby from flying around the cabin if we hit turbulence? My baby gets claustrophobic when he gets stuffed in those overhead bins lol
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Thanks again, it is very expensive to fly Asiana but with lifemiles we get it for considerably less. I was pricing sample intineries and when i added an infant under 2 it was very close is price to the adult fare! Adult was $10,000, infant was $9,000--i going to have to call them to get the infant policy before i buy the seats from lifemiles otherwise this whole purchase could blow up in my face!
If their is no bassinets what is there to keep a 5 month old baby from flying around the cabin if we hit turbulence? My baby gets claustrophobic when he gets stuffed in those overhead bins lol
I doubt that OZ has any INF bassinets in F-cl. Maybe in the old F-cl on the 747... AFAIK, infants need to be taken on the lap and secured with INF security belts when turbulences occur...?

The safest way for your infant would be to buy it's own seat and put it in it's car seat. If not in First, maybe in Business Class?

And for more information I suggest you to to call OZ:
https://us.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepa...0&menuType=CMS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.