Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Booking Infant Awards: Impressed with Avianca Call Center!

Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
You can add the infant in future by contacting the operating carrier as mentioned by that agent. Ive done it on a tg booking by calling my local tg office.
If one has a multi-partner itinerary, it would be best to buy the infant fare from the ticket issuing carrier right? This way all flights are on one ticket and if there is a misconnect, the offending airline will have to rebook.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
If one has a multi-partner itinerary, it would be best to buy the infant fare from the ticket issuing carrier right? This way all flights are on one ticket and if there is a misconnect, the offending airline will have to rebook.
I have an upcoming booking where I have 3 different carriers, none of which are AV, and I don't really want to call and have them figure it out. I am going to try to call all 3 carriers (they are international, so no free domestic legs) and see the price versus AV (and I don't look forward to that call on the call center).
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: United, AA, Avianca
Originally Posted by jwmcgowan
I have an upcoming booking where I have 3 different carriers, none of which are AV, and I don't really want to call and have them figure it out. I am going to try to call all 3 carriers (they are international, so no free domestic legs) and see the price versus AV (and I don't look forward to that call on the call center).
Keep us posted. I am curious about this as well. We have twin boys....excited (yet nervous) about traveling, particularly J/F (and the fees that may come along w it).
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:58 am

for multi-partner itineraries, it seems like depending on which partner you call, infant tickets price differently (i had a SQ-CA itinerary). it also prices much more expensive than a single partner itinerary! i suppose it prices as separate one-ways.

otherwise though, no problems with ticketing the infant ticket and linking it to the adult bookings on the operating carrier.

just that it was pretty darn expensive for a lap child!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:44 pm

Which carrier had a cheaper price: CA or SQ?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:34 am

You were able to ticket it via another carrier even though your award was issues by Avianca?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by jwmcgowan
Which carrier had a cheaper price: CA or SQ?
okay the flight was SIN-SFO, SIN-PEK on SQ and PEK-SFO on CA. SQ gave me a cheaper infant fare than CA.

However, SFO-SIN was entirely on SQ, and the infant fare given by SQ in this case was about 40% of the price of the mixed-carrier SIN-SFO.

hence my suspicion that for mixed-carrier flights, infant tickets are priced per leg per carrier.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by fulthrust7
You were able to ticket it via another carrier even though your award was issues by Avianca?
yes, infant ticket ticketed by operating carrier. have tried this with a few airlines.

in general, my experience, for cheapest infant tickets is as such:
1) Round trips are cheaper than 2 one ways ticketed separately
2) Single carrier itineraries are cheaper than mixed carrier itineraries
3) With a mixed carrier itinerary, try calling each carrier to see which prices lower

I also find that the operating carriers i've called have easier call centres than lifemiles!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by straits38
I also find that the operating carriers i've called have easier call centres than lifemiles!
Surprise, surprise...
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:41 am

So, theoretically if one has at least one segment of air canada, they can have the infant award issued by AC? Would you then be eligible for aeroplan's infant award fees (which is far generous than any other star alliance airline) as it is a flat fee? This is under the premise of an award issued by LM though w AC as carrier for at least one segment.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by straits38
okay the flight was SIN-SFO, SIN-PEK on SQ and PEK-SFO on CA. SQ gave me a cheaper infant fare than CA.

However, SFO-SIN was entirely on SQ, and the infant fare given by SQ in this case was about 40% of the price of the mixed-carrier SIN-SFO.

hence my suspicion that for mixed-carrier flights, infant tickets are priced per leg per carrier.
You mean SFO-SIN.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:51 am

What if one were to purchase/award a Y ticket for the infant w the parents in J or F? Obviously, it COULD be an issue, but what is the likelyhood that they would fuss about this at the time of boarding. Or, would they not even allow purchasing such a ticket b/c there is no adult Y ticket associated with the infant. This is theoretical. Just curious.

Paying 10% of a mixed carrier F ticket for an infant could be outragiously expensive! COuld easily be $1-2K per infant (and we have twins! )
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by fulthrust7
What if one were to purchase/award a Y ticket for the infant w the parents in J or F? Obviously, it COULD be an issue, but what is the likelyhood that they would fuss about this at the time of boarding. Or, would they not even allow purchasing such a ticket b/c there is no adult Y ticket associated with the infant. This is theoretical. Just curious.

Paying 10% of a mixed carrier F ticket for an infant could be outragiously expensive! COuld easily be $1-2K per infant (and we have twins! )
Of course it will be an issue and they could possibly make a big fuss about it.

The infant is still a passenger that has to be accompanied. Y infant ticket and J/F for the parent is kind of ridiculous.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Yes - award tickets don't usually come with child rates.
LMAO... or seniors
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:02 pm

Two tickets for same passenger on 1 plane?

I have read in previous threads that it is definitely not allowed for a J/F passenger to have the infant ticket in Y.
But does anyone know about if I could have an additional award ticket in Y and then either pay for a lap infant or have the infant have a Y seat as well.
So in total, I would have 2 J/F tickets for me and my wife and 2 Y tickets (one in my name, one in baby's name).
We would then have baby with us on lap in J/F and not use the 2 Y seats.
Would they let us on the plane?

Similarly, could I have 2 J/F tix for me and wife and then buy 1 Y for myself and 1 lap infant for Y ticket?

These scenarios can be cheaper than buying the infant lap seat for the J/F ticket, but don't want my J/F ticket to get cancelled for me also having a Y ticket on the same flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.