Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a members account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a members account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a members account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the members account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a members duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites:20970155
Originally Posted by Peppep
1) Is it possible to book a last minute LifeMiles award (less than 48/24 hours before departure)?
1. Yes
My understanding from discussions here a few weeks ago, and my own searches, was that 48 hours was ok but either 24 hrs or "day-of" was the cutoff. Is that no longer true?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by maverick17
My understanding from discussions here a few weeks ago, and my own searches, was that 48 hours was ok but either 24 hrs or "day-of" was the cutoff. Is that no longer true?
I just checked and flights for tomorrow are showing up for booking.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I just checked and flights for tomorrow are showing up for booking.
yeah i see that too. so i could be wrong, obviously, but i think it's 'day-of' as i said above, or maybe i should say 'same day' departures, that you can't do. i often book tickets in the a.m. for that p.m., and can't do it with lifemiles for awhile now.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it still a case of what you see on LM website is the only flights you can get? I can see two individual set of flights on LM but they won't show up together. Its bookable via US miles so not a case of married segments.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Is it still a case of what you see on LM website is the only flights you can get? I can see two individual set of flights on LM but they won't show up together. Its bookable via US miles so not a case of married segments.
Yes. You can try the call center but I've heard several people have tried to piece together individual segments, so your chance to ticket what you want that is not showing up on the online engine is about 0.000000000000000000000001%.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
The agents I've spoken to lately refuse to piece together individual segments. Some don't even know the difference between a revenue booking and an award redemption.

To those thinking of calling in, I wish you the best of luck. You'll need it.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called up on a Friday to change flight from Monday to Tuesday. Was told that the best way is to cancel and reissue a new award but to call back on Monday morning to get the right department who can cancel and redeposit miles into account straight away.

Called Monday and confirmed with agent what I had been told. He advised me that miles would be back in account within 2hrs after speaking with that mystery department. After confirming I cancelled ticket..........

The miles took 3 days to post and my 15 odd phone calls in that time frame were use less as they kept saying that it would take 2 more hours.

Very frustrating experience which meant I had to pay another 2 days hotel rates and wasted a lot of time waiting around for miles to post.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Called up on a Friday to change flight from Monday to Tuesday. Was told that the best way is to cancel and reissue a new award but to call back on Monday morning to get the right department who can cancel and redeposit miles into account straight away.

Called Monday and confirmed with agent what I had been told. He advised me that miles would be back in account within 2hrs after speaking with that mystery department. After confirming I cancelled ticket..........

The miles took 3 days to post and my 15 odd phone calls in that time frame were use less as they kept saying that it would take 2 more hours.

Very frustrating experience which meant I had to pay another 2 days hotel rates and wasted a lot of time waiting around for miles to post.
Tickets are definitely changeable. On your second call, did you still ask to change it or ask about cancelling?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Tickets are definitely changeable. On your second call, did you still ask to change it or ask about cancelling?
I know they are but the guy was being nice and trying to save me some money. Since there were 3 people on the Itinerary it would have meant $450 to change when a refund of miles and reissue would cost $150. Saved me $300 which I am happy with.

Don't get me wrong I am not angry or mad as I don't expect much from LM anyway this was just to update FT'ers that refund of miles is not always instant and in situations where its a must to get the miles back they really don't help.

I know they can refund miles straightaway as last month they did that in a 30 minute phone call when I didn't even need the miles in a hurry.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:10 pm

Since there were 3 people on the Itinerary it would have meant $450 to change when a refund of miles and reissue would cost $150. Saved me $300 which I am happy with.
A refund would be $50x3, and a reissue would be $25x3 new booking fee, so total saved is $225.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by echino
A refund would be $50x3, and a reissue would be $25x3 new booking fee, so total saved is $225.
Yep. $225 saved. But the point is not about what was spent or saved. Was just to update FT'ers that cancel and reissue is not 2hrs as they advise.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

When I called they stated that miles could take anywhere up to 72hrs to be credited....
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1
When I called they stated that miles could take anywhere up to 72hrs to be credited....
That is what they always say. However this point was for a last minute change.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
What's the policy of changing star awards?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
What's the policy of changing star awards?
You can do it up until a couple of hours before departure (might be even up until departure) $150 per person change fee if the dept/arrival is same. If not then a cancel and reissue is required which costs $50 and can take up to 3 days to get the miles redeposited.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.