Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a members account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a members account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a members account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the members account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a members duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by jupiterslament
Doing some googling, it seems that Asiana F should be available - But despite finding F availability on the 12:20 AM flight from LAX-ICN on every other partner on almost every day, none is appearing in the Avianca search.

Is there a general problem with Asiana F and booking that I'm unaware of or is it this particular flight? Could it have to do with the time of travel given the time options in the avianca bookings seem to start at 5 am?
The website is playing games.

When searching, ensure you select Asiana as the airline...assuming you are not planning on including connections on any other airline. Results will appear, showing as business class. If you select the tab to show more days, there will be results on the F tab...again, they show as business. Finally, when you click through from the flight selection screen, I see in the Product column...'First Class'. I suspect that is exactly what you're getting, although I guess you cant be 100% sure until you have a reservation. Cancellation fee is USD200 so beware, not sure if 24 hour free cancellation rule applies here.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
The website is playing games.

When searching, ensure you select Asiana as the airline...assuming you are not planning on including connections on any other airline. Results will appear, showing as business class. If you select the tab to show more days, there will be results on the F tab...again, they show as business. Finally, when you click through from the flight selection screen, I see in the Product column...'First Class'. I suspect that is exactly what you're getting, although I guess you cant be 100% sure until you have a reservation. Cancellation fee is USD200 so beware, not sure if 24 hour free cancellation rule applies here.
Could you break this down a little bit? I'm not sure I follow you. I've selected Asiana from LAX to ICN and no results are showing up, first or business, even when I click the tabs to show more days.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meli (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
If I don't get any result on the LM tool for an award flight, what does it mean? That it really there is no option for me at all, or that I should try another method (calling to Call Center)?

Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
You have different options:
1) Use a business class redemption. Your screenshot shows that there are availabilities.
2) Check single flights, e.g. SJO-BOG & BOG-MAD. If you see availabilities on all four single flights, you can try with the call-center. If there aren't any either, no chance.
3) Try other airports (e.g. BCN instead of MAD - there are cheap train, bus and other connections, e.g. BlaBlaCar)
4) Try other dates (of course...)
5) If there's a connection with one airline only (e.g. in your case there's a direct flight option with Iberia), see if you get different results by specifying that airline in the search mask.
6) Wait. Some seats are only made available T-14 or similar.

Last edited by WolfvanWeen; Mar 22, 2017 at 3:33 am Reason: grammar
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:22 pm

Has anyone got an error message when you click the button to apply for the Avianca life miles credit card? 3 months ago I filled out the app and it said there was an error and somebody would contact me about approval, but I never received any email or a call. Has anyone had this problem?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meli (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Not sure if already discussed here, but last night I installed the LifeMiles app, and it has a much better seat availability than the website. The problem is that most of them are ALL SEATS type (full fare), and their prices are insanely high. Even doing a 50% miles + 50% cash still about 2X the price of the regular ticket...

Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:50 am

Best use of Avianca credit

Hey all, my gf and I each received $60 1 year vouchers for Avianca for a cancelled flight (not a big deal, we are on a flight a couple hours later), but I have no idea what to use them for. I am 90% sure I won't be flying them in the next year so I'm looking for the best use. I could buy LifeMiles? Any recommendations?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
Does anyone know how far in advance LifeMiles tickets can be booked?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Website award error?

I found the flight I want to book with LifeMiles, however, I can't get past the use Money/LifeMiles slider. I don't want to use money and click with the slider on all mile - nothing. Click again - nothing. Then it cr@ps out with "Sorry, There was problem while processing your transaction."

Suggestions?

Cheers
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by graj08
Does anyone know how far in advance LifeMiles tickets can be booked?

Thanks in advance.
330 days
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by thegrailer
I found the flight I want to book with LifeMiles, however, I can't get past the use Money/LifeMiles slider. I don't want to use money and click with the slider on all mile - nothing. Click again - nothing. Then it cr@ps out with "Sorry, There was problem while processing your transaction."

Suggestions?

Cheers
Send in a screenshot booking request. It stinks. Their website has been broken for the last 1-2 months at least...
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Send in a screenshot booking request. It stinks. Their website has been broken for the last 1-2 months at least...
Thanks --- albeit probably not enough time for my needs re trip next week. Call center? I'll pay $25, I just want the flight

Cheers -
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Thanks --- albeit probably not enough time for my needs re trip next week. Call center? I'll pay $25, I just want the flight

Cheers -
You can try the call center, but their English isn't the best. Also you can't do mixed cabin bookings via screenshot.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:19 am

I called and did have a bit of an issue understanding what the agent said. However, I discovered that one can go to an Avianca sales offices and book an award trip with them. Does anyone know if this info is correct re award bookings at an Avianca sale office -- also would be useful before others try the same. (my trip is 15 min to a sales office - others probably not as close)

Sale Offices

Also, I am looking at a one-leg flight with tons of availability.

Cheers

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
You can try the call center, but their English isn't the best. Also you can't do mixed cabin bookings via screenshot.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:58 pm

5x

Any recent data points please of 5x or 3x on chase rsv or Amex Plt when buying lifemiles? Thanks a million!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.