Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:38 pm

Hello. I've read about Peru fares that are for Peruvians only.

I intend to fly with Avianca within Colombia couple times this month. I found some significantly cheaper promo fares ($40 vs $180) that are only available under the Colombia version of the site, not the US version, which requires Flexi or above booking. I read all the fine print and did not find any "Colombian only" restrictions, so I booked them.

The first booking went through fine. The second one has been "pending" for 24 hours. I don't necessarily want to contact them directly for fear of introducing an upcharge if a CSR takes a closer look and there is fine print that I missed or should be there but is missing. However, I don't want to leave the fare in limbo too long, since I am traveling in about two weeks.

Could anyone with experience booking these fares share any insight? Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Just wondering if it's possible to transfer lifemiles points to another program, say aeroplan?
Mine expire in August, but there's almost no way I'll take another trip to Latin America this year.
I'm already going in May.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
I'm new to Lifemiles, have mainly used Alaska Air and Qantas redemptions before. My problem is that n matter what date or airline or airports I select, the search tool replies with:

"The flight itinerary your are searching for is not available. If you opted for a preferred carrier you can try with another one or with our Smart Search option."

Does anyone else have this problem, and have any suggestions?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
If you search for one ticket, say BOG to IAH in Economy later this year, do you still get this answer?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Update profile with missing city

Anyone have experience in how long it takes Lifemiles to update their address database with a city?

My US city does not show up and I am stuck in the meantime in terms of not being able to cancel an award.

Thanks much!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:47 am

Your city doesn't show up in general, or only when a certain airline is selected?
(it's not Chicago, I guess...?)
I wouldn't count on it ever being updated, I'm afraid.
Better learn how to use tamper data, firebug or something similar.

(and not being able to cancel an award is not connected to that issue, is it?)
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
Your city doesn't show up in general, or only when a certain airline is selected?
(it's not Chicago, I guess...?)
I wouldn't count on it ever being updated, I'm afraid.
Better learn how to use tamper data, firebug or something similar.

(and not being able to cancel an award is not connected to that issue, is it?)
my city doesn't show up under the My Account - My Profile - Member information / Contact preferences. The Country does. The State does. But then the city is not on the drop down list.

And apparently they use that contact information as part of the credit card refund and verification process when calling in to cancel an award.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:43 am

Ah, that's a very different problem. Can't remember having heard this before.
So you're saying they were able to charge your credit card in the process of booking the award but can't refund in the case of cancellation? Sounds like hogwash. Try again with another agent or speak to a supervisor
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:00 am

same with me however never had the "City/Adress" Problem for purchases or refunds. But noticed that more and more CC verify the given adresses so it seems a CC issue
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:20 am

Newbie seeing if layover ticket is possible

Hi guys!

I'm new to LM and want to know if this trip on one ticket would be possible and how I'd book it (assuming availability on all legs in Economy):

Bozeman - Denver (UA)
- 5 hr connection -
Denver - Washington (UA)
- 3 hr connection -
Washington - Boston (UA)
- 7 hr 9 minute layover, leaving the airport to retrieve luggage from Boston -
Boston - Frankfurt (LH)

The key is a layover in Boston to get luggage, I chose DEN and IAD only because that's the route showing award availability right now.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:23 am

Hi, Can you transfer or use United miles for an Avianca award flight within Guatemala? If so, how exactly is this done.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:25 pm

There is no option to transfer miles from other *A frequent flyer programs into Lifemiles.

Whether you can use UA miles on AV flights in Guatemala I don't know; this kind of question belongs into the UA loyalty program forum, I'm afraid
Old Feb 17, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by djwags
Hi, Can you transfer or use United miles for an Avianca award flight within Guatemala? If so, how exactly is this done.
For what it's worth you can use your M+ miles on AV flights as AV is Star Alliance.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
For what it's worth you can use your M+ miles on AV flights as AV is Star Alliance.
I believe the question was about domestic flights in Guatemala. And as the Avianca/Taca group has a complex legal structure it's probably not so easy to say whether those specific flights are marketed and operated by an airline within Star Alliance, even if Avianca themselves of course are...
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Is it possible to find out what your status level is when you login to your Amigo account?

Also, on the Amigo website, the contact number listed is 0800-286-6543. But is the prefix? I tried Brazil (+55) and dropped the leading zero but didn't get anywhere.

Finally, does Amigo provide a soft landing?

Last edited by danger; Mar 4, 2017 at 5:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.