Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a members account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a members account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a members account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the members account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a members duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Old Sep 11, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by erik19283
I received one and have never credited anything. I bought miles, though.
It could count as a "mileage transaction" even if you never flew.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
It could count as a "mileage transaction" even if you never flew.
To make sure, I checked the cards we have and my daughter received one as well even though she has never accumulated any mileage with them neither bought any miles (she's only 11!) but she's got her own card anyway.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:18 pm

To make sure, I checked the cards we have and my daughter received one as well even though she has never accumulated any mileage with them neither bought any miles (she's only 11!) but she's got her own card anyway.
Ok great, thanks for clarifying. I love the old fashioned non elite plastic card.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 5:52 pm

Hi. I would like to book an award flight in business class on the new Austrian Airline flight from LAX to VIE.

What is the process of lap infant award on LifeMiles for a partner airline? Do I have to call Avianca or do I call Austrian Air after I make the award booking? Thank you.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravelBug1314
Hi. I would like to book an award flight in business class on the new Austrian Airline flight from LAX to VIE.

What is the process of lap infant award on LifeMiles for a partner airline? Do I have to call Avianca or do I call Austrian Air after I make the award booking? Thank you.
They can both do it for you. In the past I have always called the airline directly. Its easier then calling Avianca.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
They can both do it for you. In the past I have always called the airline directly. Its easier then calling Avianca.
Yes, please call OS directly, Avianca and Turkish have the worst call centers ever.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:20 pm

Yes, please call OS directly, Avianca and Turkish have the worst call centers ever.
Ever tried Top Bonus (Air Berlin)? If you can't speak German, then just forget about it.

Anyway, calling the airline he's going to fly seems the better and easier solution for what TravelBug1314 wants to do.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:39 am

Ever tried Top Bonus (Air Berlin)? If you can't speak German, then just forget about it.

Anyway, calling the airline he's going to fly seems the better and easier solution for what TravelBug1314 wants to do.
I speak German so no issues for me.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Thank you all. Sounds like a consensus on just calling Austrian airline (or partner airlines) directly for lap infant.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: SQ*G, A3*G
Hi all,

I understand if that there is a schedule/operational change then it's the carrier in question that made the change who is responsible for re-booking, if needed.

I recently read somewhere about the horrors of carriers (SA and UA in particular) shirking responsibility and telling the pax that they cannot "touch" the ticket and telling him/her to get LM to rebook.

In your experience, which * carriers are the worst?

Thanks!!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: Eurobonus, Lifemiles
Hello All,

I do feel stupid for asking, but thought I should give it a shot.
I'm looking to book a LH F ticket (O) with Lifemiles.
There's availability on United, ANA and Expertflyer. But not on Lifemiles!
What to do?

Many thanks
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
It's not a stupid question, it's just that, a question. The answer very much depends on whether you're talking about a simple straightforward flight, in which case you're out of luck. The fact that other tools show availability helps you zero, nada, null, nothing, zilch.
If you want to know why, please read up on this forum. It's been said many times.

If however it's a flight combination, i.e. more than one single flight, check whether you can see LH F availabilit on each single flight segment. if so, you might have a chance with the call center.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Question; where during the booking process on Avianca.com can I find the booking code?
I'm a very few segments from scoring Presidential Platinum on Copa so it's imperative for me to book the fare classes that generate segments on ConnectMiles, and not all do.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Milkman
Question; where during the booking process on Avianca.com can I find the booking code?
I'm a very few segments from scoring Presidential Platinum on Copa so it's imperative for me to book the fare classes that generate segments on ConnectMiles, and not all do.
I couldn't find where the fare code was in a dummy booking.

On previous (real) bookings the fare code has been on the receipt.

One option would be to look up the ITA for the same flights/price and see the code there.

For example I did a dummy booking on Avianca for SAL to BOG on Dec 13th which was a business fare for $628.43.

The exact same flight/price on ITA showed that this was booked in to D with a fare type DEO14TFB.

edit: Actually, scrap all that, I found the fare code under "Purchase Conditions" down the right side after you select the fare price.

1 - PSGR P1 ADT RULES DISPLAY
FARE COMPONENT 1 ADT SALBOG AV DEO14TFB PU 1 N
FCL: DEO14TFB TRF: 303 RULE: CPFI BK: D
PTC: ADT-ADULT FTC: BR -BUSINESS CLASS RESTRICTED
PE.PENALTIES

Last edited by Guvner067; Nov 1, 2016 at 10:24 pm
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by Guvner067
I couldn't find where the fare code was in a dummy booking.

On previous (real) bookings the fare code has been on the receipt.

One option would be to look up the ITA for the same flights/price and see the code there.

For example I did a dummy booking on Avianca for SAL to BOG on Dec 13th which was a business fare for $628.43.

The exact same flight/price on ITA showed that this was booked in to D with a fare type DEO14TFB.

edit: Actually, scrap all that, I found the fare code under "Purchase Conditions" down the right side after you select the fare price.

1 - PSGR P1 ADT RULES DISPLAY
FARE COMPONENT 1 ADT SALBOG AV DEO14TFB PU 1 N
FCL: DEO14TFB TRF: 303 RULE: CPFI BK: D
PTC: ADT-ADULT FTC: BR -BUSINESS CLASS RESTRICTED
PE.PENALTIES
Excellent thanks a lot!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.