Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
WARNING - The cancellation fee has been increased up to $200 for long haul premium awards as of Feb 2017 .

T&Cs here:
How to cancel a Lifemiles ticket:
  • Lifemiles tickets cannot be canceled or changed online, you need to call the Avianca/TACA call center (+1 800 284 2622) (number updated to +1 866 919 0081 as of February 2024). #2 for English, then enter your Lifemiles number, enter #3 for Lifemiles then #3 again for transactions.
  • The cancellation fee is variable, $50-200. The change-fee is $150. This is per passenger/ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • The cancellation fee for Awards booked after 20th/2/2017: Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. If you cancel, you will not get back the $25 booking fee paid when the ticket was issued.
  • You need to set-up a phone PIN to do any changes to tickets on lifemiles.com before or during the call. Do this before you call as doing this while calling can add a couple of minutes to the call
  • Make sure your address and phone number are up to date in your lifemiles account. This will help immensely as spelling out everything letter-by-letter to the phone agent.
  • Your credit card information is collected via an automated system on the phone and not by the agent. The system first asks you for your card number (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express), followed by the expiration month/year in MMYY format, then followed by the Security Code. Press * to correct mistakes in entering numbers.
  • You need to enter/confirm credit card information for every ticket seperately. The process is simpler for remaining tickets as you only need to: first confirm the last 4 digits of the card (1 - Yes; 2 - No); followed by the expiration Month; followed by the expiration Year; followed by the Security code. For AMEX,(and sometimes for visa too ) the whole cared number has to be entered again
  • Similarly if you have used credit cards before, the system keeps information about your credit cards, so even for the first ticket, the process is simpler as you only need to confirm the last four digits of credit card, then expiration month, then expiration year last two digits only followed by the security code
  • Be prepared to spend between 20 minutes and 3 hours on the phone to get your changes / cancellation done, depending on the agent you get, or if you're really unlucky, you may spend days getting it sorted out.
  • Avianca transactions may trigger fraud alerts on your credit card, you may need to contact your bank about this.
  • Miles should be back in your account instantaneously, tax refund can take longer (2-3 weeks)
  • Money paid for miles purchased as part of "more money/less miles" choice will NOT be refunded in cash but as miles.
  • As soon as your flight is ticketed, the refund for a cash & miles booking will be only in miles
  • BE PATIENT: some agents are very knowledgeable and fast, others take hours to get a simple cancellation done
  • TAXES ARE REFUNDABLE: if an agent claims that taxes are non-refundable you may need to write an email to [email protected] to follow-up
  • You should be able to see your cancellation receipts under "Your Lifemiles" - "Print receipts" (Only works with Internet Explorer!)
  • NEW RULE - Ticket cannot be cancelled in the T-48 to T+24 window. Ticket can be cancelled after T+24 as long as ticket is valid, which is up to 365 days after issuance date (not travel date!)

Some agents have stated that the ticket can be cancelled even AFTER the flight dates, as long as the ticket is "open". Confirmed by FTers @ #334, 336, 371 and 445.

Print Wikipost

Cancellation of Lifemiles ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by SEAfarer
Where is this in the T&Cs?
bottom of the homepage.
https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx

the part below used to specifically mention $50 USD for reimbursements, if i remember correctly. now, it is essentially "flexible cancellation fee" that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances. i.e., the fee increase!

================

c. Redemption of Award Tickets in Airlines members of Star Alliance (including flights combined with routes of AVIANCA)

Award Tickets are reimbursable by paying a fee that varies depending on the redeemed route, the redemption channel and other circumstances, Accurate information of the reimbursement cost shall be informed at the time of redeeming the Award Ticket. The Member is responsible for reviewing all conditions of the Award Ticket including reimbursement conditions before redeeming the Award Ticket and requesting it´s reimbursement.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I just called into cancel another award. I failed to notice that there was a relatively minor schedule change, but the agent noticed it and proactively waived the "$50 cancellation fee." The award was booked before the recent change in cancellation fees.

I have been super impressed with my last few experiences with LifeMiles customer service. I have always found the e-mail support to be responsive but used to dread having to deal with them over the phone. The last few calls have all resulted in me dealing with competent agents and a clear phone line.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by gpeso8

I have been super impressed with my last few experiences with LifeMiles customer service. I have always found the e-mail support to be responsive but used to dread having to deal with them over the phone. The last few calls have all resulted in me dealing with competent agents and a clear phone line.
I'd agree with this. Call hold times haven't been too bad. English quite good. Systems to record PIN etc worked well. Calls completed in ~15mins for a cancellation (including about half of that for hold time).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
The logic I see so far is that,
- cancel fee varies between F , J and Y redemptions.
- intra-region is USD 100/ticket/person to refund. as per the site (F & J award)
- inter-region is USD 200/ticket/person to refund. as per the site (F award. J is USD 100)

- Existing tickets are not affected (tickets still show USD 50/ticket).
- Call-center is still clueless and they still say USD 50/ticket
Look forward to hearing confirmation that the cancellation fee for long-haul J awards is $100, and $200 for F awards!

This is a nasty devaluation of Lifemiles, makes the miles SO much less useful, ugh
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by harryhv
Look forward to hearing confirmation that the cancellation fee for long-haul J awards is $100, and $200 for F awards!
Well if I pull up a TG J award for MEL-BKK it shows $200 cancellation so...
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:10 am

Question is, what about past reservations (made before Feb 2017)?
My experience with one ticket was the original $50 fee applies. Don't know if it is the rule or just a random case of ignorance of this new fee by the agent who handled it...
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:11 am

Past reservations are governed by the old fare rules, so $50. It is noted on your booking, if you check it on checkmytrip.com.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
My experience with one ticket was the original $50 fee applies. Don't know if it is the rule or just a random case of ignorance of this new fee by the agent who handled it...
See discussion above. If your ticket was issued with the $50 cancellation fee that's what you'll be charged (check the copy of the ticket).

New tickets have the new charges stated on them.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:39 am

The tickets are refundable by paying a charge of $200 US Dollars per each ticket (ticket must be unused), they are not transferable (do not allow change of name) and allow a change of date by paying a charge of $150 US Dollars plus taxes per each ticket (subject to available seats on the same booking class).

Let us remind you that award tickets are valid for one year since the date of issue (March 1st, 2017); if you decide to change the date of flight or refund the tickets, you must reimburse them or complete the itinerary within the valid period.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Amex cards now accepted for the cancellation fee payment

Hi,
for the record, with regards to the processing of cancellation requests, just by asking I was able to use an american express cards for the fee payments.
You then don't go through the 1 Visa / 2 -MC menu, but will input directly your AMEX details on the automated system (without any menu preselection) - Not sure if this is old news but still good to mention -

However, if you have several tickets, please note that you will have to introduce the AMEX full card details again (and not, as for VISA/MC the 4 last digitd)

Anyhow, I just went through another very smooth & fast cancellation process - Very nice operator and good english - Things are clearly improving these days....

Cheers
Eddy
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:18 pm
tsz

Just cancelled a reservation made months ago, and was correctly charged $50 according to the fare rules (listed on the receipt/ticket).

Phone call lasted 10 minutes with no hold; taxes refunded within 24 hours. I was pleasantly surprised. Interestingly, it was refunded to the credit card I used to pay the $50 cancellation fee, not to the credit card I originally used for taxes/fees.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:07 am

Does anyone here know how specifically LM calculates the T+24 for cancellations?

Basically I'm wondering if that is based on the departure of the first leg, the arrival of the last leg or something in between?

Thanks for any input!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Perisai
Does anyone here know how specifically LM calculates the T+24 for cancellations? Basically I'm wondering if that is based on the departure of the first leg, the arrival of the last leg or something in between? Thanks for any input!
logic dictates, 24hrs after the arrival of the last leg in a ticket and 24hrs before the next leg of a ticket, when the ticket is released from airport control...
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Is Avianca the only airline that will cancel and redeposit miles after departure?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is Avianca the only airline that will cancel and redeposit miles after departure?
Nope, SQ will as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.