FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo-716/)
-   -   Easy ways to prevent expiration of Avianca/TACA lifemiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo/1332914-easy-ways-prevent-expiration-avianca-taca-lifemiles.html)

ANC RED-EYE Apr 5, 2012 1:19 am

Easy ways to prevent expiration of Avianca/TACA lifemiles

Hi all-

I thought I would post a couple of tips to keep orphan lifemiles accounts from expiration.

This is certainly not a primary program of mine...but given frequent travel to and within Central America (occasionally on TACA's regional partners), it is one I've accumulated a reasonable amount of miles on.

As an aside, I've recently discovered that those miles can be redeemed at a pretty good value for travel within Central America (where there are few options that are frequently VERY costly), especially with the new one way awards AND miles and cash options. Hope these options stay around long enough for me to benefit from them.

In any case, 2 reasonable options to keep accounts active:

Shopping Portal - I cannot speak to how competitive this portal is, but a small purchase at a participating merchant will keep an account active for 2 additional years...a very cost effective investment to prevent expiration. Just allow 2-3 months lead time prior to expiration for miles to post.

Miles Donation - it appears that a donation of any amount of miles would extend expiration by 2 years...a free means of keeping your account active.

Hope this helps someone.

DBoy Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks for this post. I just realized that my 2500 LifeMiles were going to expire in May. Wasn't sure if it was May 1 or May 31.

I decided to donate 100 miles (1 mile just didn't seem right). Got a response that it might take 72 hours to complete the donation - but that might mean that my miles would expire.

I emailed [email protected]. They responded, on Saturday afternoon, within 2 hours. They said my donation had already been processed. So I'm good for 2 more years.

While I was wondering about my extension, I talked to Customer Service. He said I could donate 1 mile to refresh my miles. But, again. I think 100 miles minimum.

hpmoon Aug 25, 2012 11:33 am

FYI, I donated 10 miles and it went through. I'll find out soon whether that reset the clock.

Ashasan2005 Aug 14, 2015 12:06 pm

great post. exactly what i needed. Donated 100. Instantly increased my miles expiration date to 9/2017.

bryanwallace Nov 19, 2015 5:10 pm

i did this donation-thanks for the tip!

where can i see expiration date on my acct?

Guvner067 Nov 19, 2015 5:25 pm

Go to "Your Lifemiles" > "Earn & Enjoy Activity"

gashwingomes Nov 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Woah ... I didn't know they had an expiration date! I'm good till 2017, but this is good to know.