Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana FAs might know your booking class!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana FAs might know your booking class!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Talking Asiana FAs might know your booking class!

I was recently on an OZ flight in F between ICN and HKG and saw the passenger list hanging in the galley.

Apparently, on OZ, the passenger's booking class is actually listed on the Passenger Information List (PIL)!! -But in a "discreet way".

In addition to frequent flyer status, there is a two letter notation.

For example:

OF = Booking Class "O" in F Cabin = Award/Upgrade F with miles
AF = Booking Class "A" in F Cabin = Discount First/RTW
FF = Booking Class "F" in F Cabin = Full fare F

IC = Booking Class "I" in C Cabin = Award/Upgrade C with miles
DC = Booking Class "D" in C Cabin = Discount Business/RTW
JC = Booking Class "J" in C Cabin
CC = Booking Class "C" in C" Cabin = Full C

I guess you can guess what the following codes mean:

YY
BY
HY
KY
MY
LY

I asked the flight attendant what these codes meant, and she had know idea. However, I was able to guess what they meant.

Note: These codes are also printed on the bottom right hand corner Asiana's boarding passes (but in reverse order). For example, "IC" becomes "CI", and "AF" becomes "FA".

If "CI", or FO" prints on the boarding pass, the "/NO MILES/" notation is also added!

I would assume that normally the flight attendant won't know what these codes mean unless they have previously worked on the ground in reservations/ticketing or at a travel agency.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by daniellam
If "CI", or FO" prints on the boarding pass, the "/NO MILES/" notation is also added!
You dont even get the basic mileage that you paid your ticket for?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:55 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by JALlover
OP is referring to a C cabin passenger booked under booking class "I" and a F cabin passsenger booked under booking class "O" so no miles indeed
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:56 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I and O are the award buckets, this is why you will not earn miles.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
I and O are the award buckets, this is why you will not earn miles.
I understand O and I are award tickets, so they dont get miles. But OP stated upgrade as well next to award, so I thought there would be the basic miles before upgrade

Maybe I didnt make myself clear at the start, sorry
Old Jun 9, 2009, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
......on OZ, the passenger's booking class is actually listed on the Passenger Information List (PIL)!! -But in a "discreet way"......
KE does the same thing. Must have been a Korean thing.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I can't see that it matters. I have flown on OZ in both F and C on award tickets and not noticed any difference in service from other pax. Having said that, when I was the white guy who ordered the Korean food and ate with chopsticks, lots of cabin crew wanted to talk to me about food.

I have talked to cabin crew on other airlines and they seem to know little about frequent flier schemes and rewards.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:23 pm

ANA also indications of passengers on reward tickets in the PIL. They don't, however, have indications of booking class...
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:33 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I understand O and I are award tickets, so they dont get miles. But OP stated upgrade as well next to award, so I thought there would be the basic miles before upgrade

Maybe I didnt make myself clear at the start, sorry
Ah, okay. You will get the miles for the class you paid for. So if the original booking was an award, you will get no miles. If the original booking was a paid business class ticket and you were upgraded to F you will still get your C miles.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:09 pm

I was on a one-way from SFO-ICN a few weeks back. I paid 700$ on expedia (not some bargin bin consolidator) for it, and it earned 0 miles on Asiana Club, as it was a 'special' fare.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 4:46 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SirJman
I was on a one-way from SFO-ICN a few weeks back. I paid 700$ on expedia (not some bargin bin consolidator) for it, and it earned 0 miles on Asiana Club, as it was a 'special' fare.
This is not uncommon with many frequent flyer programs. BD is another example with quite a lot of booking classes ineligible for any mileage accrual. But almost every program has something like this.
The problem with OZ is that they don't tell you the exact booking classes. They only tell you that:

Tickets marked with a discount of more than 50% on the fare basis, special discount tickets ineligible for mileage, award tickets, and free tickets are excluded form mileage eligibility under this program.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:11 am

This is not uncommon with many frequent flyer programs. BD is another example with quite a lot of booking classes ineligible for any mileage accrual. But almost every program has something like this.
The problem with OZ is that they don't tell you the exact booking classes. They only tell you that:
Tickets marked with a discount of more than 50% on the fare basis, special discount tickets ineligible for mileage, award tickets, and free tickets are excluded form mileage eligibility under this program.
What they mean by "discount of more than 50% on the fare basis" is things like AD75, AD90, ID90, ID00 tickets which are all industry or airline employee benefit travel, and thus not eligible for miles.

All other mileage accruals are governed by the booking class which is clearly indicated on the website.

http://chkin.flyasiana.com/English/F...jsp?CAT=ASIANA
http://chkin.flyasiana.com/English/F...n.jsp?CAT=STAR
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:13 am

Double post, oops...
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:25 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stargold
What they mean by "discount of more than 50% on the fare basis" is things like AD75, AD90, ID90, ID00 tickets which are all industry or airline employee benefit travel, and thus not eligible for miles.

All other mileage accruals are governed by the booking class which is clearly indicated on the website.

http://chkin.flyasiana.com/English/F...jsp?CAT=ASIANA
http://chkin.flyasiana.com/English/F...n.jsp?CAT=STAR
As you can read in the post of SirJMan and other reports, they do not just mean airline employee tickets etc. There are quite a few fare classes which do not earn any miles. And the quote in my post comes from the page you are referring to.
IMHO this page doesn't clearly indicate the booking classes and the relevant mileage accrual. But maybe I haven't looked well enough.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:32 am

IMHO this page doesn't clearly indicate the booking classes and the relevant mileage accrual. But maybe I haven't looked well enough.
Presumably, it's the responsibility of the travel agent selling the ticket to advise the passenger that a particular fare they are about to purchase does not accrue miles, and if the information is not offered then for the passenger to enquire.

I can see that the less experienced travellers may assume all fares earn miles which is perfectly understandable - for myself however, it's one of the first things I always check.

So far, I haven't yet personally come across tickets that are booked in an eligible booking class but specifically excluded from miles. It would be interesting to hear more about SirJman's ticket for future information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.