Suspended
Original Poster

45 mins connection at PVG

is it enough? arriving from AKL connecting to ICN
ANZ to OZ C class
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:57 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
is it enough? arriving from AKL connecting to ICN
ANZ to OZ C class
If you get the ticket issued then it is within the MCT so you should be fine. If this is on two tickets, then I would never ever try this.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I think OZ and NZ are both in T2 at PVG, so you don't have to hop from T2 to T1 or vice versa. Shifting between terminals is a pain in the ... at PVG cuz you have to WALK. There's no trams, like those at the SFO, to take you around the terminals. Thus, I think if you can have your OZ broading pass issued at AKL, you could make it. Otherwise, it's quite risky.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 4:05 am

45 minutes is too short.

[KVS Availability Tool 5.7.4/Diamond - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: PVG/NZ-OZ]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         PVG                          020 060 060 060  
TERMINAL:         PVG  1  TO  1                120 120 120 120  
                       1  TO  2                150 150 150 150  
                       2  TO  1                150 150 150 150  
                       2  TO  2                120 120 120 120  
EXCEPTIONS:                                                     
A/L              TR DEPARR                                      
NZ                     PVG                     --- --- 240 240  
-ALL-               SHA                                         
NZ               1                             --- --- 150 150  
-ALL-            1                                              
-ALL-            2                                              
NZ               2                             --- --- 150 150  
-ALL-            1                                              
-ALL-            2                                              
**END OF DISPLAY**

Last edited by ual744777sta; Aug 14, 2010 at 12:26 pm
Old Aug 14, 2010, 6:16 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
You would have to clear Customs, collect your bags, go back to departure level and re-check in. Through check baggages at PVG are only available to NZ connecting to LH, LX, & VS only. I don't think you can make it in 45 mins.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:31 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
45 minutes is too short.

[KVS Availability Tool 5.7.4/Diamond - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: PVG/NZ-OZ]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         PVG                          020 060 060 060  
TERMINAL:         PVG  1  TO  1                120 120 120 120  
                       1  TO  2                150 150 150 150  
                       2  TO  1                150 150 150 150  
                       2  TO  2                120 120 120 120  
EXCEPTIONS:                                                     
A/L              TR DEPARR                                      
NZ                     PVG                     --- --- 240 240  
-ALL-               SHA                                         
-ALL-            1                                              
-ALL-            2                                              
-ALL-            1                                              
-ALL-            2                                              
**END OF DISPLAY**
Can you explain some background to this? What does Standard mean and the DD, DI, ID and IIs?
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:39 am

Programs: UA1k, AA EXP, PC Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Don't know what standard means but

DD= Domestic to Domestic
DI= Domestic to International
ID= International to Domestic
II+ International to International
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
45 Minutes is going to be very short but if the plane is constantly late taking off, you may have a chance. I did a transfer from KA to AA in may of this year and barely got through in an hour. Luckily it was a full flight and boarding took longer than expected and took off a little late. If you have checked bags, you have to pick them up first, then go through customs, go through another bagage screening machine, then race back upstairs to the departure hall to check in bags, go through security, and finally go to your gate. At customs, I asked an officer if I could go into a shorter line due to the connection time and they let me go through one of the special lanes.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by newballs
I think OZ and NZ are both in T2 at PVG, so you don't have to hop from T2 to T1 or vice versa. Shifting between terminals is a pain in the ... at PVG cuz you have to WALK. There's no trams, like those at the SFO, to take you around the terminals. Thus, I think if you can have your OZ broading pass issued at AKL, you could make it. Otherwise, it's quite risky.
Actually even if it is in SFO, most people prefer to walk rather than take the tram between terminals, as that tram is outside security.

It is a possibility that OP can have OZ boarding pass issue at AKL, but usually they had to manually reissue boarding pass from OZ stock.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP
You need to clear immigration twice when transiting in PVG. Once for arrival and then go upstairs for departure. Allocate at least 1.5 hour for the ordeal. I don't think PVG is a friendly airport for connections. Did it once and never again.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by earny
45 Minutes is going to be very short but if the plane is constantly late taking off, you may have a chance. I did a transfer from KA to AA in may of this year and barely got through in an hour. Luckily it was a full flight and boarding took longer than expected and took off a little late. If you have checked bags, you have to pick them up first, then go through customs, go through another bagage screening machine, then race back upstairs to the departure hall to check in bags, go through security, and finally go to your gate. At customs, I asked an officer if I could go into a shorter line due to the connection time and they let me go through one of the special lanes.
How long did it take? In November, I'm arriving at 3:05 PM on AA and departing 5:20 PM on Thai. Separate tickets - 2nd an award ticket. Will have a checked bag. Is 2 hours enough time to clear immigration, get bag, re-check bag and clear immigration a second time?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:08 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by njfan07
How long did it take? In November, I'm arriving at 3:05 PM on AA and departing 5:20 PM on Thai. Separate tickets - 2nd an award ticket. Will have a checked bag. Is 2 hours enough time to clear immigration, get bag, re-check bag and clear immigration a second time?
Yes, this normally should be enough time. If planes are late or extraordinary things happen then of course it can be tight. But normally this is enough time.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by njfan07
2 Hours should be plenty of time. If Thai is in a different terminal than AA, you may want to walk quickly between terminals. First time I landed in PVG it took 1.5 hours. On my way back to the states I was able to get through in an hour but that was because my bag was one of the first to come out and I was able to go through the special immigration line. I was surprised my checked bag made it with me even though I checked in my bags 40 min before the scheduled departure time.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Yes, this normally should be enough time. If planes are late or extraordinary things happen then of course it can be tight. But normally this is enough time.
Originally Posted by earny
2 Hours should be plenty of time. If Thai is in a different terminal than AA, you may want to walk quickly between terminals. First time I landed in PVG it took 1.5 hours. On my way back to the states I was able to get through in an hour but that was because my bag was one of the first to come out and I was able to go through the special immigration line. I was surprised my checked bag made it with me even though I checked in my bags 40 min before the scheduled departure time.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.