FlyerTalk Forums (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Asiana (OZ) 747 vs 74E - seating and first class access question (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/942070-asiana-oz-747-vs-74e-seating-first-class-access-question.html)

thesilb Apr 10, 09 12:12 pm

Asiana (OZ) 747 vs 74E - seating and first class access question
 
Hi there,

I am considering two different Asiana flights from HKG-ICN, flight 724 on a 74E which shows (on ANA) as not even having first class, or flight 722 on a 747 which has a full three classes of service. I am on a first class award continuing to LAX on Asiana in full 3 class first, so I would prefer the 747 flight. However, the 74E flight works much better schedule-wise.

Question. Seat Guru shows the 74E as a 3 class plane. Is it possible that for this red eye Asiana is selling the 3 class as a 2 class? If so, does anyone have any idea of how they allocate the first class seats? Specifically, do you know, if I book a first class ticket HKG-ICN-LAX, and this is 3 class sold as 2, can I sit in the first class seating area?

If this was true I would definitely take the 74E. Searched all over FT and Google and could not find any help on this one.

Anyone know? Thanks! ^

stevenshev Apr 10, 09 12:16 pm

Not to hijack this thread...but I've been meaning to ask...on the reconfigured 74E, I can't find a seatmap anywhere, is there any C class on the lower deck, or upstairs only?

AZ Travels the World Apr 10, 09 12:35 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 11560344)
Not to hijack this thread...but I've been meaning to ask...on the reconfigured 74E, I can't find a seatmap anywhere, is there any C class on the lower deck, or upstairs only?

[Here you go. C is upstairs only. F in the nose and the rest is Y.

stevenshev Apr 10, 09 12:37 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World (Post 11560448)
[Here you go. C is upstairs only. F in the nose and the rest is Y.

Thanks, but that's old config. And thus my question.

AZ Travels the World Apr 10, 09 12:43 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesilb (Post 11560331)
Hi there,

I am considering two different Asiana flights from HKG-ICN, flight 724 on a 74E which shows (on ANA) as not even having first class, or flight 722 on a 747 which has a full three classes of service. I am on a first class award continuing to LAX on Asiana in full 3 class first, so I would prefer the 747 flight. However, the 74E flight works much better schedule-wise.

Question. Seat Guru shows the 74E as a 3 class plane. Is it possible that for this red eye Asiana is selling the 3 class as a 2 class? If so, does anyone have any idea of how they allocate the first class seats? Specifically, do you know, if I book a first class ticket HKG-ICN-LAX, and this is 3 class sold as 2, can I sit in the first class seating area?

If this was true I would definitely take the 74E. Searched all over FT and Google and could not find any help on this one.

Anyone know? Thanks! ^


I am on a OZ 74E SHA-ICN in about 10 days. I'm booked in F, with a seat assignment in row 2 in the nose. The online seat assignment tool on Asiana's website shows the three classes. For my flight, the ANA tool also shows the flight with all three classes.

So, it seems to me that if you end up being booked in C, you'll probably end up there -- in the upper deck.

P.S. There is an Asiana forum, so you might find more there.

Kiwi Flyer Apr 10, 09 12:46 pm

I was on OZ724 last week. It showed in schedule as 74E sold as 2-class. Actual a/c was 747 combi with business class in the nose, no F seats.

AZ Travels the World Apr 10, 09 12:47 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 11560463)
Thanks, but that's old config. And thus my question.

Where have you read/heard that these have been reconfigured? Per my response to the question above, I'm booked on one in about 10 days and the seatmap on Asiana's website matches the Seat Guru map exactly.

I'm not even sure Asiana has finished retrofitting their 744's, have they already moved on to 74E's?

thesilb Apr 10, 09 12:48 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 11560515)
I was on OZ724 last week. It showed in schedule as 74E sold as 2-class. Actual a/c was 747 combi with business class in the nose, no F seats.

Thanks much. So I guess its probably that configuration, and SeatGuru just lacks that printout. I wonder if all of these are being upgraded eventually to the new 74E config shown on Seat Guru? My travel dates are March, 2010. Its only a 3 hour flight. Maybe I'll grab the 74E redeye that works withmy schedule and roll the dice that there will be F by then and I can re-ticket.

Kiwi Flyer Apr 10, 09 12:51 pm

I wouldn't count on a specific a/c type. I'm on the same flight again next week and it is 767 (currently, it showed as 744 in the schedule when I booked).

AZ Travels the World Apr 10, 09 12:51 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesilb (Post 11560524)
Maybe I'll grab the 74E redeye that works withmy schedule and roll the dice that there will be F by then and I can re-ticket.

So is the reconfiguration of the 74E Combi to add F seats, or remove them?

Kiwi Flyer, were you on a newly reconfigured aircraft, with their new business class seats?

Kiwi Flyer Apr 10, 09 12:54 pm

The business seats didn't look like that.

stevenshev Apr 10, 09 1:01 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World (Post 11560522)
Where have you read/heard that these have been reconfigured? Per my response to the question above, I'm booked on one in about 10 days and the seatmap on Asiana's website matches the Seat Guru map exactly.

I'm not even sure Asiana has finished retrofitting their 744's, have they already moved on to 74E's?

Reading around the OZ forum, it seems all the 74Es are reconfigured to the new products, ie the one linked above, except for one roaming around Asia. I know someone booked on a 74E from ICN-LAX next week, who will throw an absolute fit (correctly so) if they don't get the new cabin products.

kawoh Apr 10, 09 8:03 pm

More appropriate on the OZ forum
 
I will be moving this to the OZ forum, as it is more appropriate there.

AZ Travels the World Apr 10, 09 11:19 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenshev (Post 11560617)
Reading around the OZ forum, it seems all the 74Es are reconfigured to the new products, ie the one linked above, except for one roaming around Asia. I know someone booked on a 74E from ICN-LAX next week, who will throw an absolute fit (correctly so) if they don't get the new cabin products.

Does anyone know -- are all the 74E's the combi version, or are there others?

And, if they're 74E's that have been reconfigured, do they have F, J & Y, or are they without F?

I'll be flying OZ F through ICN in a little over a week, so I'll attempt to find out in the F lounge what the deal is.

ORDnHKG Apr 11, 09 2:38 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World (Post 11563006)
Does anyone know -- are all the 74E's the combi version, or are there others?

And, if they're 74E's that have been reconfigured, do they have F, J & Y, or are they without F?

I'll be flying OZ F through ICN in a little over a week, so I'll attempt to find out in the F lounge what the deal is.

74E is the code for 747 combi, if not, it would say 747 or 744.

All 747 pax and 74E are all 3 classes.

For ICN F lounge you are do a search for my trip report, it had plenty of photos.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:02 am.