Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Man with prosthetic leg claims discrimination after being asked to move from exit row

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man with prosthetic leg claims discrimination after being asked to move from exit row

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/na...423664824.html

A San Francisco man with a prosthetic leg claims he was discriminated against after an Asiana Airlines representative asked him to vacate his exit row seat.
Tim Seward, a self-described professional skateboarder and action sports enthusiast who leads a "highly active" lifestyle, was traveling from China to South Korea Sunday and bought a seat in the exit row near the front of the plane. But he was asked to move to a new seat because, as the representative said he "cannot prove [Seward's] leg is functional."

Source: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/na...#ixzz4hsRAIkgJ
Follow us: @NBCLA on Twitter | NBCLA on Facebook
Old May 24, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Given the choice between someone with two legs or one to be responsible for the safe evacuation of passengers in the unlikely event of an incident... I'd pick the guy with two legs. Every time. Apparently that makes me a bigot.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: none
If the airline representative has been trained that a passenger with an artificial leg can't sit in the exit row, then nothing short of growing a second leg will change that decision. The rep (probably FA or gate agent, maybe even a supervisor) is just trying to enforce what he believes to be the correct policy. Sitting on the plane prior to takeoff is NOT the time to be arguing the point. And, if the passenger were to become belligerent about it, the situation would not end well.

Th e airline was in a bad position and probably didn't handle it as well as they could have. Would you rather see: "Breaking News. Airline puts amputee in exit row ahead of FT passednger." What kind of social media response would that get?

Last edited by Allan38103; May 24, 2017 at 3:49 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 4:42 pm

I think the media is making the situation worse...seriously they should know better that there's nothing to write about this incident.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
As long as he was compensated this is fair. But perhaps they should also put this in the warning when one selects an exit row seat, similar to United and others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.