Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

OZ pre-emptively kicking redemption tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OZ pre-emptively kicking redemption tickets?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 9:59 am
j1m
Original Poster

Angry OZ pre-emptively kicking redemption tickets?

I booked a GMP-KIX-GMP business-class redemption fare for travel this week. Now when I try to check in for the return flight it says something along the lines of "failed to check-in, seats are fully allocated" and it shows my seat as "standby". Standby??????

Curious, I tried to book a paid J ticket on the same segment and it lets me saying "1 seat" under the available seats column.

This is somewhat disconcerting - that they are refusing my check-in when I'm ticketed, yet still prepared to sell a seat on that flight/class.

If this is how they treat redemption fares then I'll have second thoughts about using them in this way...

I never usually book redemption fares (first time in the last couple of years), but my miles are growing faster than I can spend them - added 300k+ on OZ in the last 12 months.

Anyone else familiar with this practice? How else can you use OZ miles?

UA is crap. Might have to lean towards Krisflyer once again.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Did you call them and ask?
Old May 26, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
that's odd. when did you book it and did you actually get an email with confirmation for your award travel?
Old May 26, 2016, 6:01 pm
j1m
Original Poster

Did you call them and ask?
It was after-hours for their local callcenter. I'll call them today when I get to the office, but past experience does not bode well.

I have had them refuse to change a flight (saying my new date is absolutely fully booked at any fare when I can clearly see online seats available), and then I actually go ahead and book the desired flight at a lower fare and move the original flight out to some future date. Obviously that isn't practical here.

that's odd. when did you book it and did you actually get an email with confirmation for your award travel?
Yes, paid for taxes and have "CONFIRMED" e-tickets since about 2 weeks ago.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:29 am
j1m
Original Poster

UPDATE - resolved

Called OZ Japan office earlier today; they removed the block on the unsold seat and I was able to check in. 1F was the last seat.

Curious about others' similar experience though. I can understand being bumped by last-minute problems and redemption being one of the first to sacrifice, but I would not think they would prohibit check-in to hold a spare seat for others to purchase.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
i think it has to do more with that they have no seat to assign to you?

Like one of those SEAT REQUEST boarding passes from Delta and others.

You'd still be confirmed - but their system may not allow check-in online without an assigned seat. That would be my guess.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:48 am
j1m
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samwise6222
i think it has to do more with that they have no seat to assign to you?

Like one of those SEAT REQUEST boarding passes from Delta and others.

You'd still be confirmed - but their system may not allow check-in online without an assigned seat. That would be my guess.
I've just checked in for my next flight to Haneda (also redemption) and that worked fine; I was able to select a seat at check-in.

The odd thing about that last flight was that reservations was still showing 1 seat for sale. I'm guessing they always keep a J seat blocked for full fare revenue tickets - so if the cabin is full (it's only 12 seats on the A321) then you need to get seat assigned at the gate.

Nevertheless, they released that hold after I called and I was able to check in online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.