Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

No more amenity kits on ICN inbound in J

Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Just got off OZ271 SEA-ICN, where I was told that as of two weeks ago, OZ has cut amenity kits for all long-haul inbound to ICN in J. FA did salvage some individual items "from the back". Thinking I must have misunderstood and it was just a shortage on this flight, I confirmed twice - and yes, this is new company policy.

FA also mentioned she's had dozens of complaints so far and put in a note herself. And quite frankly, on a ~4.000 USD ticket I do expect an amenity kit of sorts (although some might question the overall necessity ).

Are they actively trying to get rid of that atrocious 5 star Skytrax rating? I mean, seriously...cutting amenity kits? W T F Asiana?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by guidospizza
Just got off OZ271 SEA-ICN, where I was told that as of two weeks ago, OZ has cut amenity kits for all long-haul inbound to ICN in J. FA did salvage some individual items "from the back". Thinking I must have misunderstood and it was just a shortage on this flight, I confirmed twice - and yes, this is new company policy.

FA also mentioned she's had dozens of complaints so far and put in a note herself. And quite frankly, on a ~4.000 USD ticket I do expect an amenity kit of sorts (although some might question the overall necessity ).

Are they actively trying to get rid of that atrocious 5 star Skytrax rating? I mean, seriously...cutting amenity kits? W T F Asiana?
Ouch, I guess OZ is really tightening up budgets here and there.
I'm afraid this might just be the beginning though.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

SQ never have an amenity kit in C class, just a pair of sockettes, so how come no one question if SQ is trying to get rid of the 5 star skytrax rating then ?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
SQ never have an amenity kit in C class, just a pair of sockettes, so how come no one question if SQ is trying to get rid of the 5 star skytrax rating then ?
People always hate it if you take perks away, even if they don't complain that they weren't there to begin with. It's about setting customer expectations and then delivering on them. I'm afraid OZ might be looking too much at their bottom line here and forgetting that their key differentiator is soft service...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I confirmed twice - and yes, this is new company policy.
Originally Posted by agjil
Ouch, I guess OZ is really tightening up budgets here and there.
I'm afraid this might just be the beginning though.
This is not new, just putting the old practice in place, about 5-7 years ago (dig up some old threads), OZ also had done it only outbound ex ICN had the amenity kit in C, that was also the same time OZ decided to drop separate men and women F kits. (F kit was using Bvlgari BLV at the time)

The current Loccitane brown or beige bag amenity kit had already taken out the lipbalm if you had pay attention compare to the previous grey bag kit. Not to mention, the beginning of tighten budget had already started long time ago, it actually started when OZ dropped the end of flight thank you gift in F (if you still remembered)

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Sep 23, 2015 at 1:18 pm
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Ehm seriously? It is one of the most regular complaints. Here and here and here and most notably this.
This is not new, just putting the old practice in place, about 5-7 years ago (dig up some old threads), OZ also had done it only outbound ex ICN..
And that was itself a temporary thing? I used OZ from Europe to Oz in 2006 and 2007 and got the kits ... still have them.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:48 pm

This is not new, just putting the old practice in place, about 5-7 years ago (dig up some old threads), OZ also had done it only outbound ex ICN had the amenity kit in C, that was also the same time OZ decided to drop separate men and women F kits. (F kit was using Bvlgari BLV at the time)

The current Loccitane brown or beige bag amenity kit had already taken out the lipbalm if you had pay attention compare to the previous grey bag kit. Not to mention, the beginning of tighten budget had already started long time ago, it actually started when OZ dropped the end of flight thank you gift in F (if you still remembered)
Yes, cost cutting is nothing new, but I'm just saying they're cutting more and more.
Honestly, to me, no amenity kit is not a big deal, as the business class amenity kit already had pretty poor contents, and the lav has essential items like toothbrushes anyways.
But my concern is they could cut costs even further and eventually we might see meals with poorer quality and narrower drink selections.

p.s. The first class thank you gift was a stupid idea to begin with.
I'm actually happy they got rid of it: totally unnecessary and waste of resources.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:06 pm

I really hope that all this cost-cutting stops now that the Kumho Asiana Group (the conglomerate that used to own OZ) is back together.

The current CEO's from Air Busan which might have something to do with all this.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stupidhead
The current CEO's from Air Busan which might have something to do with all this.
Maybe it's a stealth effort by JS to try and drag them down to their (unjustified?) 1 star level. :-:

Joking aside, and regardless of whether or not this is a reinstatement of an old policy, it is surely not a direction I am looking forward to following them in.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agjil

p.s. The first class thank you gift was a stupid idea to begin with.
I'm actually happy they got rid of it: totally unnecessary and waste of resources.
Believe or not, the F thank you gift was actually one of the big reasons that draw me to fly OZ (also back then food in F was served from multiple casserole dishes on a cart for you to choose whatever looks good to you and you can choose the amount you want rather than pre-plated everything nowadays)

Also, the F thank you gifts were the variety of Versace Rosenthal chinaware in a box, not like the later years switch to duffel bag or passport holder, so that brought OZ stand out from other F services on other airlines, back then I would even choose OZ F over SQ F and NH F ! (these days OZ F had gotten better only on the seats but everything else worser compare to like 6-8 years ago, the competitors are keep rising and but OZ are staying the same or even going down)

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Sep 24, 2015 at 8:36 pm
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:25 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I too for one appreciated the now departed gift in F.

Although the J class amenity kits were nothing to write home about either - certainly no Porsche Design bags or Rimona kits. . . The slippers on the other hand are a MrsWT73 favorite. She's got bag fulls.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I too for one appreciated the now departed gift in F.

Although the J class amenity kits were nothing to write home about either - certainly no Porsche Design bags or Rimona kits. . . The slippers on the other hand are a MrsWT73 favorite. She's got bag fulls.
I have to say, even though they didn't blow me away, while they contained l'Occitane hand cream they were quite convenient, even if it was only the smallest size. Sadly, the last time I flew in C, it didn't really contain anything either I or Mrs Jon503 found very useful.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I am flying OZ221 JFK-ICN in J next week. The longest inbound route on their prestige aircraft. Will report my findings.

Hopefully Asiana will at least provide some tooth brushes/razors/combs in the business class lavs in lieu of handing out amenity kits. I have dozens at home untouched anyway so I will bring one just in case.

SunLover
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by SunLover
I am flying OZ221 JFK-ICN in J next week. The longest inbound route on their prestige aircraft. Will report my findings.

Hopefully Asiana will at least provide some tooth brushes/razors/combs in the business class lavs in lieu of handing out amenity kits. I have dozens at home untouched anyway so I will bring one just in case.

SunLover
I'd be extremely surprised if they don't provide at least tooth brushes, since those are available in the Y lavs. They should also have other extras like l'Occitane lotion in the C lav unless they've gotten incredibly cheap in the two months since I last flew OZ C.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:25 pm

Believe or not, the F thank you gift was actually one of the big reasons that draw me to fly OZ (also back then food in F was served from multiple casserole dishes on a cart for you to choose whatever looks good to you and you can choose the amount you want rather than pre-plated everything nowadays)

Also, the F thank you gifts were the variety of Versace Rosenthal chinaware in a box, not like the later years switch to duffel bag or passport holder, so that brought OZ stand out from other F services on other airlines, back then I would even choose OZ F over SQ F and NH F ! (these days OZ F had gotten better only on the seats but everything else worser compare to like 6-8 years ago, the competitors are keep rising and but OZ are staying the same or even going down)
Agree completely.

I love the Rosenthal chinaware I got from OZ about 6-7 years ago, and use them on a regular basis.

IMHO, it was the most classy benefit for F passengers that I've ever experienced.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.