Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana cease to issue Plastic Membership Card

Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, OZ*S

I was upgraded to Gold tier in June however my Plastic Membership card never comes. I phoned Asiana China hotline and was told that they will NEVER issue any plastic membership card starting from July 1, 2015, no matter which tier you are. I log in the APP and find out that wording "you shall present you plastic if you would like to enjoy SA* benefit" on the digital card is removed.

Seems that Asiana is the first airline that do not issue plastic membership card to its premium members.... a good way to save cost... Does it also mean that OZ may leave SA* soon so that they don't need to issue new cards to replace the previous ones with SA* logo?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mayama
Seems that Asiana is the first airline that do not issue plastic membership card to its premium members.... a good way to save cost... Does it also mean that OZ may leave SA* soon so that they don't need to issue new cards to replace the previous ones with SA* logo?
That's a bit of a jump, don't you think? I know there have been murmurings of OZ possibly leaving *A on flytertalk, but they're just rumours at this stage.

Personally, I was on an SQ flight in Y the other week and was crediting miles to OZ. Arriving at the silver kris lounge in SYD, the lady at the desk didn't take my OZ card and said she didn't need it. So this could possibly be a change in *A procedure.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:44 pm

I phoned Asiana China hotline and was told that they will NEVER issue any plastic membership card starting from July 1, 2015, no matter which tier you are.
They haven't issued cards for their Gold Tier for a while now.

Just yesterday I received my Diamond Plus plastic card by mail - earned that status with a flight departing July 1st. Even if they issued the card on the same day, it would have been before "from July 1st"...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, OZ*S
Originally Posted by guidospizza
They haven't issued cards for their Gold Tier for a while now.

Just yesterday I received my Diamond Plus plastic card by mail - earned that status with a flight departing July 1st. Even if they issued the card on the same day, it would have been before "from July 1st"...
Here is the official announcement:
http://us.flyasiana.com/C/en/boardCo...&boardCmd=VIEW

"Information on Using Asiana Clubs Digital Card"
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Here is the official announcement:
http://us.flyasiana.com/C/en/boardCo...&boardCmd=VIEW

"Information on Using Asiana Club’s Digital Card"
So it's probably a cost-cutting move. For me, I'd prefer to reduce the number of membership cards I have to carry around!

Not sure what the point of your question about OZ & *A ultimately is, though. Going to an e-card still doesn't justify your suggestion that this move is a precursor to OZ leaving *A. Note this quote in your linked page...

"Your digital card can be used just like the plastic card you have now, to enjoy the benefits offered by Asiana Airlines and Star Alliance."
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:03 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by sol95
That's a bit of a jump, don't you think? I know there have been murmurings of OZ possibly leaving *A on flytertalk, but they're just rumours at this stage.

Personally, I was on an SQ flight in Y the other week and was crediting miles to OZ. Arriving at the silver kris lounge in SYD, the lady at the desk didn't take my OZ card and said she didn't need it. So this could possibly be a change in *A procedure.
Many lounges do not require the physical card, but many others do (e.g. UA domestic lounges and LH).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Many lounges do not require the physical card, but many others do (e.g. UA domestic lounges and LH).
True, but the digital card has always been accepted at these lounges in lieu of the plastic card. The lounge guardians just want to see the full number and the expiration date.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:55 pm
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Not always. Kiwi Flyer is correct UA and LH are particularly strict on seeing the physical card. I have tried several times at the LH lounge at Heathrow and always been asked for the physical card. On one occasion shortly after my status was renewed late last year the digital card was updated but I had not received the plastic card. I was denied access to the Senator lounge and asked to use the Business lounge as I was *only* a business class passenger
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: JL JGC Sapphire, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Well, I requalified for Diamond on July 1 and called the US Call Center around July 3 to request a new card with a baggage tag. Received it in the mail a few days later and received another card (with no baggage tag) the next day. Guess I should keep them safely since they can't be replaced anymore?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: JL JGC Sapphire, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I think it depends. None of the UA domestic lounges I've been to required a physical card and the airports include ORD, LAX, SFO, BOS, SEA, ATL(when it was still open), etc. Having "Star Alliance Gold" written on the BP was sufficient.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:09 am

Just called US-LA office, confirmed that they will no longer be sending out plastic cards.

But he also mentioned that if you want to have the plastic card, you can request for it from the office and they will send it to your mailing address.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Received my new Diamond card in the mail yesterday without making any request for it. Amazed that its valid through until end April 2019.. ^
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by THD
Not always. Kiwi Flyer is correct UA and LH are particularly strict on seeing the physical card. I have tried several times at the LH lounge at Heathrow and always been asked for the physical card. On one occasion shortly after my status was renewed late last year the digital card was updated but I had not received the plastic card. I was denied access to the Senator lounge and asked to use the Business lounge as I was *only* a business class passenger
Fortunately I only have to worry about losing the card, otherwise no new card needed for me
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:51 pm

Not true.. I just got gold card today..with cheap baggage tag..

Passed threshold (July 28 th)
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by milifrox
Just called US-LA office, confirmed that they will no longer be sending out plastic cards.

But he also mentioned that if you want to have the plastic card, you can request for it from the office and they will send it to your mailing address.
My local Asiana office (Bangkok) also confirmed that they will not be sending plastic cards anymore. I asked if I can still request for one but they said no.

I also tried to request one from the LA office but they told me that they only mail the cards within the US.

I passed threshold for Diamond on August 10.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.