Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OZ @ MNL

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
OZ @ MNL

I'll be travelling to MNL via ICN early next year, and would like your thoughts. While my questions aren't all OZ-specific, posted here as it seems the best place.

So I'll be flying in on OZ701 and flying out several days later on OZ704. I've heard some nightmare stories of MNL, but as this will be my first trip there, not sure quite what to expect. So...

1) How early should I be to check in for my flight?
2) Any quirks about the airport I should be aware of re pre-checkin baggage screening or departure tax?
3) What lounge does OZ use? I checked on the *A website, and I'm told that I can use the SQ or Thai lounge, but their operating hours don't match my flight time which leaves a little past midnight.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
MNL can be a zoo around the late departure time. There will be a long line of OFWs heading through their special process outside and then a mob inside after the metal detector. The D+ check in is usually off to the right as you get to the Asiana counter and they won't open until 3:30 before flight time, sometimes they might grab somebody in the elite/business line if they're ready but no guarantees. There is an airport tax collection between check in and customs, they take pesos, USD and plastic and will put the stamp on your BP and either put the reciept on the stub or give it to you with you change/credit card receipt. No special treatment unless your a diplomat at customs but things move right along with another security check right after that. The lounge OZ uses is shared by them, Emirates, United and a couple of other airlines and is right next to the TG lounge. It's small with decent WiFi and no showers. Usually your right next to the gate or just a short walk they usually page for boarding and the ladies come around looking for people as well.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Thanks ttuna3
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
In addition to the good info provided by ttuna3, my experience is that for someone's first experience in departing MNL, the numerous security checkpoints can be a bit overwhelming, leaving one wondering why they need to continue checking. Leaves a whole lot of doubt as to their security if they can't get it right with only a single security screening. If I recall, there's one for entering the terminal, another just after passport control, another at the entrance to the concourse, and finally another at the gate.

Even if the TG lounge were open, I don't know that you'd want to stay there. It's terribly overcrowded with TG passengers, at least that was the case everytime I've used it. I often left as soon as the crowds came or bypassed it all-together. The contract lounge next to it used by OZ isn't anything great, but at least I've never seen it as crowded as the TG lounge, so I'll normally stay there until close to boarding time.

It used to be that you couldn't even enter the terminal ahead of the airline's checkin counters opening, but the last couple times I went there I arrived early and they didn't say anything about it, and there's a few banks of seats for people waiting for checkin to open. But it might be difficult to find a seat there, so I don't recommend arriving too early. If I were to find myself arriving early at the airport on a future trip, I'd probably opt to stop at a nearby restaurant first and get a meal and then head to the airport just as the checkin is opening. For the midnightish departure, I seem to recall the check-in counters opened at about 21:40, but they vary the departure times some, so not sure if that time is fixed or varies with the schedule.

The terminal is very old/dated, and if you've never been to such an airport, you may be in for a surprise. MNL is one of my least favorite airports. But the arrival isn't too bad, especially if you have someone to pick you up. If you need to catch a cab though, be prepared for con artists regardless of how careful you are or how much you've been told a certain taxi type is honest. Dishonest taxi drivers, regardless of the company, are the norm.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Just to add a little clarity:

There is a perfunctory security check to enter the terminal. They look at your passport to ensure it is you. You run your bags through a large x-ray machine and walk through a metal detector that seems to be set to almost never go off.

You then check-in with the airline.

For non Philippine residents, you no longer have to complete a departure form.

Stop at the booth and pay the 550-peso departure tax (starting next month, it will be included in the ticket price).

When ttuna3 refers to "customs" he/she actually means emmigration (passport) control. There is no customs check for departing passengers.

You then go through passport control.

After passport control is the airside security check, which is now like most airports in the world.

That's it.

Terminal 1, where OZ still departs from, is an armpit of armpits. Most carriers are moving to T3, but I haven't heard of OZ doing so.

The lounges in T1 are as bad as the terminal. Other than a place to sit and something to drink, they are nothing to miss.

I would try to arrive at the airport about 1:30 before my flight, but beware that Manila traffic can be heavy and unpredictable, particularly if it is raining. The time of night you are leaving shouldn't be a major issue.

At least that's how it was two-days ago when I left.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your helpful info.

Sounds like MNL is like CCU re checks. Just recently got back from CCU and while the new terminal was a welcome relief from the old one (my last trip there was 10 years ago), I couldn't understand why there were so many checks...printed ticket and passport check to get in the terminal; pre-checkin xray of luggage; checkin; carryon luggage check to get in the line for emmigration; passport control at emmigration; security check. All this to get to a terminal and gate that was nigh on empty.
Then before boarding, another carryon luggage check after checking the boarding pass.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sol95
Thanks all for your helpful info.

Sounds like MNL is like CCU re checks. Just recently got back from CCU and while the new terminal was a welcome relief from the old one (my last trip there was 10 years ago), I couldn't understand why there were so many checks...printed ticket and passport check to get in the terminal; pre-checkin xray of luggage; checkin; carryon luggage check to get in the line for emmigration; passport control at emmigration; security check. All this to get to a terminal and gate that was nigh on empty.
Then before boarding, another carryon luggage check after checking the boarding pass.
In that case MNL will be better than CCU. But MNL will most definitely NOT be empty. It is always a zoo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.