Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Delayed Start Date for A380 LAX-ICN?

Delayed Start Date for A380 LAX-ICN?

Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rwk32882
I flew it yesterday ex-LAX in F. Excellent service as one would expect. The flight attendants also admitted that this was their first trip on the whale. Photo album is linked below if you are interested.

Photo album
Awesome! Thanks for the pics. The food looks amazing. Nice Ferragamo amenity kit as well.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum
I flew it yesterday ex-LAX in F. Excellent service as one would expect. The flight attendants also admitted that this was their first trip on the whale. Photo album is linked below if you are interested.

Photo album

Thank you!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:42 am

Photo album
new amenity kit? Wonder if it's a permanent change or just for the 380.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.

Photo album

Awesome pics thanks!

Interesting you weren't offered a pre-departure alcoholic beverage. As you mention, it's definitely not a legal issue here at LAX. I wonder if its a Korean thing. However, unless I'm hallucinating (which, thanks to the cadre of sedatives I take when flying TPAC is entirely plausible) I've been served alcoholic pre-depatrure drinks on OZ and KE. Probably operational related.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by lazard
new amenity kit? Wonder if it's a permanent change or just for the 380.
I've been told C class on the A380 has a unique amenity kit that is different from the C class kits on other planes.
So...it might be the same case for F class as well.
The pajama bag also looks different...I wonder if the pajama changed too?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bumfluff
Interesting you weren't offered a pre-departure alcoholic beverage. As you mention, it's definitely not a legal issue here at LAX. I wonder if its a Korean thing. However, unless I'm hallucinating (which, thanks to the cadre of sedatives I take when flying TPAC is entirely plausible) I've been served alcoholic pre-depatrure drinks on OZ and KE. Probably operational related.
It's a tax issue. It costs them extra to serve alcohol on the ground.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a tax issue. It costs them extra to serve alcohol on the ground.
wow really?
I flew FRA-ICN on OZ F about a month ago, and was also told they can't serve alcohol as a pre-departure drink at FRA.
The FA said it's due to some sort of a regulation, however I didn't really believe what I heard, because I received alcoholic pre-departure drinks out of Germany on other airlines before.
I wonder whether it was the same tax reason.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by agjil
I've been told C class on the A380 has a unique amenity kit that is different from the C class kits on other planes.
So...it might be the same case for F class as well.
The pajama bag also looks different...I wonder if the pajama changed too?
The amenity kit I got in F less than two weeks ago on this route was the old one, not this new one. That was on the B747, not the A380, so either they introduced this new kit together with the rollout of the A380 on that route, or it's unique to F on the A380.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Thumbs down Another Review of F on the A380

I flew it yesterday ex-LAX in F. Excellent service as one would expect. The flight attendants also admitted that this was their first trip on the whale.
Mods: The thumbs down in the title is smartphone typo, as is the duplicate post below. sorry.

Was "yesterday" the Saturday 8/23 departure? If so, the wife and I were on your flight.

Flight was slightly late departing because of ATC issues at LAX. Strong headwinds gave us nearly a two late arrival in ICN, and the last half of the flight was fairly bumpy. Not a criticism, but an observation as these things happen.

I've flown a lot on Delta and VA, which don't have international F service. My previous experience in this class was pretty much limited to a single instance on KE's A380 and Air China's remodeled 747.

Seat-wise, OZ's A380 F seat is way superior of course. On this flight, I ate the beaf tenderloin for the first meal and the bulgogi soup for the second. Overall, outstanding, but comparable with KE and main courses in other airline's biz class on a good day. What I expect in F is a great main course delivered consistently and some showpiece appetizers. OZ did a nice caviar course, which fit the bill.

The FA's were super. On this flight, I inadvertently exhibited idiotic flyer behavior, which they handled perfectly. In the first instance, I went to the front of F cabin, pointed up the roped stairs, and asked, "Is there a bar up there?" The FA took me up and showed me the biz-cabin lounge, which is a workspace where premium cabin pax can have a small meeting. I envisioned a bar with stool a la VA where I can pound down drinks with my Aussie mates. Not that kind of lounge. She then took me thru the biz cabin and then upper deck economy all the way back in the tail. Thankfully, we did not use the tail spiral stairs to walk back through lower deck economy! The FA was just super willing to do a whole-plane tour!

Later, I manage to clumsily drop my glasses out of the rear storage compartment and they landed behind the seat. Poor FA this time had to play twister and contortionist in my seat while working the controls to retrieve them. Again, my dumbness handled with perfect grace. Once I did the same thing on a KLM flight; they have a stick grabber just for that reason!

The seat's head rest adjusts vertically, which is something usually lacking on other airlines and made a big difference for my comfort. When flat, the seat has a slight lump to fit the small of my back. When flat, the seat looked like it would allow a person over six feet to lie comfortably,

The door has a mini-compartment for a jacket. The door works really well to bock out unwanted light from other pax. To the left of the seat is a small LCD screen that operates the seat, lights, and the center partition if you are in one of middle side~by~side seats. The panel goes blank after a few
minutes of non use, but I wish it would go blank more quickly.

Cabin temp mid flight was too hot, but FA's adjusted it down mid-flight after me and later my wife complained. Yes, I know hot cabins are an Asian thing, and I see far worse on the two Japanese national airlines.

IFE's content selection was OK. Movies selection.actually skimpier than Delta in C. 32-inch screen and Bose headphones are best in the air. The IFE controller is a tiny touch screen, which is overly sensitive. Here is the biggest problem, and one that Asiana needs to fix immediately: The damn screen will not shut off when you want to sleep! Image 32 inches of bright white light staring you in the face for twelve hours! The FA's are aware of the problem, and handle it by rebooting your individual IFE from their controls in the front service area. Then and only then can the pax use the remote to shut the LCD panel off.

So overall an outstanding flight that is the best way to Korea and with the new-plane rough spots resolvable by the cabin crew.

Last edited by Bowgie; Aug 25, 2014 at 2:13 pm
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:18 am

Last edited by Bowgie; Aug 25, 2014 at 5:25 am Reason: Duplicate post
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:42 am
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Mods: The thumbs down in the title is smartphone typo, as is the duplicate post below. sorry.

Was "yesterday" the Saturday 8/23 departure? If so, the wife and I were on your flight.

Flight was slightly late departing because of ATC issues at LAX. Strong headwinds gave us nearly a two late arrival in ICN, and the last half of the flight was fairly bumpy. Not a criticism, but an observation as these things happen.

I've flown a lot on Delta and VA, which don't have international F service. My previous experience in this class was pretty much limited to a single instance on KE's A380 and Air China's remodeled 747.

Seat-wise, OZ's A380 F seat is way superior of course. On this flight, I ate the beaf tenderloin for the first meal and the bulgogi soup for the second. Overall, outstanding, but comparable with KE and main courses in another's class on a good day. What I expect in F is a great main course delivered consistently and some showpiece appetizers. OZ did a nice caviar course, which fit the bill.

The FA's were super. On this flight, I inadvertently exhibited idiotic flyer behavior, which they handled perfectly. In the first instance, I went to the front of F cabin, pointed up the roped stairs, and asked, "Is there a bar up there?" The FA took me up and showed me the biz-cabin lounge which is a workspace where premium cabin pax can have a small meeting. I envisioned a bar with stool a la VA where I can pound down drinks with my Aussie mates. Not that kind of lounge. She then took me thru the biz cabin and then upper deck economy all the way in tail. Thankfully, we did not use the tail spiral stairs to walk back through lower deck economy! The FA was just super willing to do a whole-plane tour!

Later, I manage to clumsily drop my glass out of the rear storage compartment and they land behind the seat. Poor FA this time had to play twister and contortionist in my seat while working the controls to retrieve them. Again, my dumbness handled with perfect grace.

More to follow....
Glad to hear that you enjoyed the trip. We were actually on Friday's flight. I forgot to put my FT tag on my new backpack but you probably would have gathered that we were flyertalkers.

More notes and observations on the trip report thread.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
First Class Lounge access at LAX

Which departure lounge at LAX do the Asiana First Class passengers use? The pictures in the previous post look pretty nice. Is food available and premium beverages?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by martinplas
Which departure lounge at LAX do the Asiana First Class passengers use? The pictures in the previous post look pretty nice. Is food available and premium beverages?
*A lounge
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by martinplas
It is the Star Alliance first class lounge, which is right next to their biz-class lounge. It has simple food like wraps and tacos available on order.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie
It is the Star Alliance first class lounge, which is right next to their biz-class lounge. It has simple food like wraps and tacos available on order.
The J lounge is better than the F lounge. More food options too (although no ordering off the menu).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.