Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

should i have been able to use my 50% off upgrade coupon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb

So, i was booked on LH flights during their strike, coming back from ICN. Got LH to rebook me on OZ to CDG, apparently in full fare Y, and from then onwards.

When in the lounge, i approached the staff there to enquire whether i would be able to use one of my 50% off upgrade vouchers (that i got when i made D+) and my miles to upgrade to business class. I was told no and that i would need to contact LH for that. Even when pointing out what LH would have to do with an OZ, they just repeated the same again (twice in fact), so i gave up in the end.

Should i have been able to use the voucher and upgrade or not. And in case yes, is there any chance to receive some kind of compensation?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by a9504477
So, i was booked on LH flights during their strike, coming back from ICN. Got LH to rebook me on OZ to CDG, apparently in full fare Y, and from then onwards.

When in the lounge, i approached the staff there to enquire whether i would be able to use one of my 50% off upgrade vouchers (that i got when i made D+) and my miles to upgrade to business class. I was told no and that i would need to contact LH for that. Even when pointing out what LH would have to do with an OZ, they just repeated the same again (twice in fact), so i gave up in the end.

Should i have been able to use the voucher and upgrade or not. And in case yes, is there any chance to receive some kind of compensation?
From the OZ website:

Temporary Suspension of Star Alliance Upgrade Awards (SQ, TG, LH, OS, LO)
Please note that Upgrade Awards are not available for Singapore Airlines (SQ), Thai Airways(TG), Lufthansa (LH), Austrian Airlines(OS), and Polish Airlines(LO) due to the systematic circumstances.

We appreciate your kind understanding and cooperation.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sadln
From the OZ website:
How exactly would, what you refer to, relate to my query...?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by a9504477
How exactly would, what you refer to, relate to my query...?
Sorry, I misread- thought OZ rebooked you on LH.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:26 am
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
While the lounge staff were incorrect to direct you to LH, that does not automatically mean that you would have received an upgrade anyway. For instance how do you know there was availability in the award bucket I for that particular flight?

There is no case for compensation, you still have your voucher and are still free to use it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by THD
While the lounge staff were incorrect to direct you to LH, that does not automatically mean that you would have received an upgrade anyway. For instance how do you know there was availability in the award bucket I for that particular flight?

There is no case for compensation, you still have your voucher and are still free to use it.
There being no availability would have been an explanation that i would have accepted, whereas the LH isn't one.

As for "still being able to use it", while this is technically correct, it's not 100% true as the voucher has a time limit.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Not sure if it's official, but I remember having a conversation with an OZ agent on the phone when I was calling about using my 50% upgrade voucher for a SYD-ICN-JFK itinerary. I was enquiring if there was a time frame in which I had to finalise the upgrade with the voucher before the flight. Again, unsure as to how official it is, as I don't recall seeing anything in print on this. But she mentioned that to use the voucher, I had to finalise a week before my flight.

At any rate, it seems you're looking for some validation to seek compensation...

my advice is to send a letter off to OZ instead of waiting for a favourable reply on this forum. the worst that can happen is that OZ says you have no grounds for compensation in which case, you're no worse off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.