Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-ICN F-Suite Flight Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
JFK-ICN F-Suite Flight Review

I noticed there aren't any reports of this exceptional product (or I couldn't find them, sorry). I just flew it a few days ago. I absolutely loved the seat, very wide even for me, and the bed is beyond comfortable. The privacy afforded by the enclosures is outstanding. You can safely change inside, which I did. The setup made it extremely comfortable to work on my laptop with a mouse, and the suite had a lot of space for all my belongings. One problem that I did encounter is there was something wrong with the electrical outlet; I found it necessary to fiddle with it a few times in order to charge my computer. Other "issues":

1. The mini-bar wasn't stoked.
2. The Korean subtitles cannot be turned off (or at least the FAs don't know how.

The service was not over the top, but whenever I needed anything, an FA was there in a matter of seconds.

I have a full review with a lot of pics here:
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:57 pm

thanks for the trip report.
It's really too bad OZ is so slow rolling out the new F product fleet wise.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
Thanks for the review. How is ground handling at JFK for Asiana? I read you get to use the LX lounge which is average. Do you have to bring your luggage to TSA or will OZ do that for you or how is that handled?
I will be traveling that route in Business in Feb.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by agjil
thanks for the trip report.
It's really too bad OZ is so slow rolling out the new F product fleet wise.
Yeah, too slow. Although to me it worked like a charm as I was going to arrange a trip via ORD originally, when they brought this product down to JFK.

Originally Posted by LAX888
Thanks for the review. How is ground handling at JFK for Asiana? I read you get to use the LX lounge which is average. Do you have to bring your luggage to TSA or will OZ do that for you or how is that handled?
I will be traveling that route in Business in Feb.
Can't comment on the luggage as I'm traveling with a carry-on. The Swiss lounge is a joke compared to the former Oasis (think it's called something like Wingtips now?). Use that one if you have Priority Pass. I have never been to Swiss so decided to pay a visit. One nice feature they have, though, is a separate room with reclining chairs and a view of the tarmak. Wasn't crowded at all during my visit.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by mnscout
Other "issues":

Are you talking about the mini-bar in your seat ?

Because it wasn't supposed to be, what give you the idea the mini bar is stocked ? It never advertised anywhere you get a stocked mini-bar in your seat.

If you want to have a mini-bar fully stocked, you have to fly EK F !

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 23, 2014 at 10:31 am
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
2. The Korean subtitles cannot be turned off (or at least the FAs don't know how.
Same problem over on EVA, could not turn off the subtitles on the english movies
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
I noticed there aren't any reports of this exceptional product (or I couldn't find them, sorry). I just flew it a few days ago. I absolutely loved the seat, very wide even for me, and the bed is beyond comfortable. The privacy afforded by the enclosures is outstanding. You can safely change inside, which I did. The setup made it extremely comfortable to work on my laptop with a mouse, and the suite had a lot of space for all my belongings. One problem that I did encounter is there was something wrong with the electrical outlet; I found it necessary to fiddle with it a few times in order to charge my computer. Other "issues":

The service was not over the top, but whenever I needed anything, an FA was there in a matter of seconds.

I have a full review with a lot of pics here:

I had basically the same experience Thursday flying them JFK-ICN, but the service was over the top with 4 of us in First. They walked by the suite every 5 minutes it seemed all night long. And the Korean beef was inedible much as you described, the rest of the meal and presentation was 5 star.

One big let down was the Swiss Lounge at JFK. Basically no alcohol and even at 12:30 no lunch, just breakfast items. Not a big deal, but worth noting.

I will try to write a review with pics after I get back from Phuket on TG and ANA.

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Are you talking about the mini-bar in your seat ?
Because it wasn't supposed to be, what give you the idea the mini bar is stocked ? It never advertised anywhere you get a stocked mini-bar in your seat.

If you want to have a mini-bar fully stocked, you have to fly EK F !
Then why have it? Even if just water is stocked in it pre-flight. It doesn't make sense.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by CLEHillbilly
Then why have it? Even if just water is stocked in it pre-flight. It doesn't make sense.
Personal Mini Bar
For maximum convenience, stock your own personal mini bar with your favorite beverages.

http://us.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepag...0&menuType=CMS

There are many airlines F seat has that feature, but none are stocked except EK. Perhaps you should ask why the minibars on EK are stocked but not any others.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Thanks for this! Very excited that I got an award ticket for end of April that will put me JFK-ICN-BKK in F suites for the long leg.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CLEHillbilly
I agree.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
In regards to the mini bar...isn't it illegal to consume alcohol on an aircraft that you did not purchase from/were not served by the FA? Or is that only in the US?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
In regards to the mini bar...isn't it illegal to consume alcohol on an aircraft that you did not purchase from/were not served by the FA? Or is that only in the US?
That's a U.S. FAA regulation. Each country makes its own rules.

But even if OZ has that rule, they could still stock the mini-bar with water, soft drinks or juice. It just seems odd to have a mini-bar installed when they ordered the seats and then not use it.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:11 pm

I flew JFK-ICN in the OZ First Suites this month and had similar impressions. The seat and pajamas was incredibly comfortable although the cabin was really uncomfortably warm for my comfort. I would have preferred a much larger or substantial pillow than the tiny pillows provided.

There's even enough room in your suite to stand up with the doors closed, so you can slip into your slippers before unveiling the door open for the pajama runway to the spacious lavs.

I felt the service was really quite intense, or at least always available. There seemed to always be a second FA standing just immediately over my shoulder out of my sight (except I could see her thru the reflection in my gigantic TV screen)! She always knew just the very second when my meal was done as the plate disappeared microseconds after putting down both fork and knife on the plate. Perhaps it was more intense since the cabin was only 3 of 8 passengers, but it was really rushed meal service. Remember there's no pre-departure liquor/champagne, but as soon as the wheels are up, the liquor flows like a waterfall.

I too found my minibar empty. Why bother having this fancy motorized minibar that lights up if it's completely empty AND out-of-reach. Stangely, it's at the foot of your ottoman. #minibarfail

The amenity kit was rather nice and soft-sided enough to shove in your carry-on bag (unlike those beauty Rimowa hard-sided kits). Nice selection of Bulgari amenities, but unfortunately didn't have some of the basics I guess I've come to always expect: kleenex, eye shades, socks or mouthwash. I thought these were entitlements? #shock #awe At least they did provide slippers that were big enough for Western sized feet.

I did have a love affair with the gigantic television. Really clear and beautiful for the 4 inflight movies I watched. The touch screen armchair retractable remote was pretty slick too! Not seen that used successfully on many carriers previously. And the FA call button that sends a FA to your side within microseconds. They were incredibly happy and willing to provide their best service during my 14 hour flight.

As for the ground handling, it's pretty much non-existent. It suddenly changes once you step onboard, but the JFK lounge and ground are rather dreary at best. The LX lounge is largely for OZ use as the SAA flight departs around 10:40a so by the time I arrived around 10, it was rather empty. There are showers in the lounge, but there highly unremarkable and utilitarian. There are restrooms inside the lounge. The food options during the morning are rather unremarkable and sparse. The lack of liquor, wines or champagne is disappointing. What are we supposed to drink?! I suppose there was a decent espresso machine that would concoct a barrista beverage of your desires. I'd recommend having your hotel or home breakfast prior to arrival. At least now the lounge is after security. The OZ gate is typically a very short walk from the lounge, so you can usually watch the OZ plane through the lounge windows.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
Originally Posted by TrAAveller

As for the ground handling, it's pretty much non-existent. It suddenly changes once you step onboard, but the JFK lounge and ground are rather dreary at best. The LX lounge is largely for OZ use as the SAA flight departs around 10:40a so by the time I arrived around 10, it was rather empty. There are showers in the lounge, but there highly unremarkable and utilitarian. There are restrooms inside the lounge. The food options during the morning are rather unremarkable and sparse. The lack of liquor, wines or champagne is disappointing. What are we supposed to drink?! I suppose there was a decent espresso machine that would concoct a barrista beverage of your desires. I'd recommend having your hotel or home breakfast prior to arrival. At least now the lounge is after security. The OZ gate is typically a very short walk from the lounge, so you can usually watch the OZ plane through the lounge windows.
Thanks for this. In this case I will also try the Wingtips lounge with my priority pass then as I have been to the Swiss lounge before and it seems to be only stocked properly with food when the Swiss flights are departing in the evening.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:27 pm

Don't forget there is an F side to that LX lounge at JFK.

OZ has just opted not to to pay LX to use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.