JFK-ICN F-Suite Flight Review

Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I understand, perhaps I'm jaded by the internet and reading everything that is negative way too harsh.

OZ only has the 1 flight out of JFK a day though right? Maybe if they ended up doing two flights they may up the ante? Sort of like how NH used the BA lounge with separate F & J parts?
That said -- I finished check-in and entered TSA-hell at 11:45am and service began shortly before 2pm. So while there were 2 hours and 15 minutes of absolute mediocrity, the remaining 14 hours and 30 minutes were pretty nice.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Oh I understand, I am flying JFK-ICN F in just over a month, very excited about it. I don't think my first reactions would be about the cheapskates they are because I get 1-2 less glasses of champagne and am confined to a specific airline lounge. But hey, FlyerTalk: Different strokes for different folks!
I'm with you on this. Prefer not to focus on the negatives or expect perfection. For example, love the TG F ground experience, and will repeat it every chance I can, even if they do things like switch aircraft on you at the last moment (got old F instead of the F suite to HKG last time).
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm with you on this. Prefer not to focus on the negatives or expect perfection. For example, love the TG F ground experience, and will repeat it every chance I can, even if they do things like switch aircraft on you at the last moment (got old F instead of the F suite to HKG last time).
A trip report that only focuses on the positives is not a full trip report, IMHO. I've already received a comment (over PM) that the report changed the mind of someone booked on JFK-ICN to not show up too early for their flight.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just got off of JFK - ICN about 90 minutes ago and while the lounge at JFK does suck and the lack of champagne before takeoff is unfortunate the rest of the ride is pretty incredible. Especially when you have a 2/8 load. Granted my F experience up to this point has been only domestic F and I have TG, NH, and EK F to go on this trip, but color me impressed with OZ and the suites
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
It's always nice to fly out of a home station/hub (i.e. NH from JFK vs. NRT wow). So on my upcoming trip I will get 2.5 hrs in ICN when I go JFK-ICN-BKK in F then J...most likely just looking to get in the lounge and a shower.
I won't be doing TG F since my BKK-CDG J trip I did straight out of pocket, but I'm still excited to be a somewhat premium pax in BKK for a few hours (3.5 hours when it's HKT-BKK-CDG)
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by TrAAveller
Your not crazy. I made a rather inconvenient routing from DFW (which has 2 direct flights on AA & KE) which required an overnight at JFK in order to get the OZ suite experience. It was worth every bit of the effort. Sometimes the journey is just as much fun as the destination!
Haha, very similar... Nice to know I am not the only one that goes out of his way to enjoy the journey!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by amolkold
A trip report that only focuses on the positives is not a full trip report, IMHO. I've already received a comment (over PM) that the report changed the mind of someone booked on JFK-ICN to not show up too early for their flight.
Suggest you drop the "H" from "IMHO."
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:37 am

Suggest you drop the "H" from "IMHO."
I can't have an honest opinion either?

How is what I said about the ground experience different from what so many people who also took the flight said?

Some people on this thread ...
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
lol I think most people use the H in IMHO as "humble" not "honest" (re: Kacee)
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:30 pm

lol I think most people use the H in IMHO as "humble" not "honest" (re: Kacee)
It can be used both ways.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:20 pm

In-flight experience was really, really good. The service was perfect (for my taste) when I needed something there seemed to be several FA's ready to help. The food was tremendous, TV was amazing, bathroom was spotless, really going to be hard to beat. I will be flying both Emirates and Cathay this year in F. I will be interested to see how they compare.

Any info on when SFO or LAX get this suite?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I too was impressed with my OZ JFK-ICN experience. And I found the LX C lounge at JFK just fine, for the record. I had a glass or two of the Prosecco they had, and was able to get a bunch of email done. I had my Priority Pass card with me, but felt no reason to leave in search of that other lounge. (I'd had a big breakfast so barely looked at and didn't sample the food options)

Once onboard it was fantastic. I watched 3 movies, slept, read, ate, drank and worked. The service was excellent. Sure it helped that it was a 3/8 load and I had the right side of the a/c to myself. I thought the main meal was outstanding, including the Bulgogi Bibimbap. I tried the Korean main option for the second meal and didn't really care for it, but they were happy to swap it out for a western option.

Will they have the same suite product on the A380? Will they retrofit any more of their 777s?
Old May 9, 2014, 6:40 am

I just flew the Suite product yesterday:

Maybe this is the first non-rave review, but I found it a bit underwhelming to be a bit honest.

The Korean food was definitely very good. The service was also good, but I found it a bit impersonal and difficult to interact with the FAs.

The problem for me was in the hard product. I found the seat too stiff, and the mattress was somewhat pathetic (it was way too thin and you could feel the gaps in the seat.) The pillows were also tiny and not very comfortable. By comparison, the bedding/duvets on the Lufthansa 74H the day earlier was better many times over.

Another issue I had was there being only one lavatory for the entire F cabin. It was almost always occupied, and I had to (awkwardly) hop over to the J lavatory for the entire flight.

It still beats any business class product by a mile and still much better than the garbage that BA hawks as F. I just think that OZ needs to improve their bedding, and the product could be up there with the likes of CX.
Old May 9, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Does there happen to be a plug to play media from a Personal Media player on the screen? Sad to hear that giant screen and not have HD movies
Old May 9, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Does there happen to be a plug to play media from a Personal Media player on the screen? Sad to hear that giant screen and not have HD movies
I tried with an iPhone and it froze the system. But for that matter, it didn't work on any of CX, SQ, LH or QF either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.