Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST: Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post; moderators may edit this Wikipost.

OZ 214 ICN-SFO (reg no HL-7742), a 2006 Boeing 777-200ER with P&W PW4090 engines; flew ICN - KIX - ICN immediately prior (not as OZ 214). 291 passengers and 16 crew on board. 3 people dead, 48 seriously injured, 132 less so.

Aircraft landed short on approach (VFR weather, ILS out of service, PAPI working) impacting the seawall delimiting runway 28L with main landing gear and then the tail 11:28 PDT, careering down the runway to a stop and ensuing fire. The empennage and both engines separated from the fuselage, and fire from an oil drip in engine no. 2 burnt a significant part of the upper forward fuselage.

Runway 28L / 10R was closed until 1700 PDT 12 July; all SFO runways are open.

Here is a Link to the Flightaware track. (6 Jul 2013).

Link to original BBC article; Link to BBC photo show

Update: 08 July 2013
Summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 09 July 2013
SF Gate summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 10 July 2013
NBC video and summary of NTSB press conference

Update: 11 July 2013
San Jose Mercury summary of final NTSB press conference

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the sensitive nature of an aircraft crash, Senior Moderators ask that posts be made keeping the surviving passengers, crewmembers and their families in mind. Posts that do not comply with TOS (off-topic and dilatory posts, OMNI, conspiracies, inflammatory, etc.) will be summarily deleted.
Print Wikipost

Asiana Airline OZ214 777 crash at SFO (6 Jul 2013)

Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, FL A+ Elite, SPG Platinum,
Fox News currently has some great aerial footage showing the aftermath:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1155606219001/

I'm amazed at how 'cleanly' the tail seems to have separated from the fuselage.

Appears to be significant fire damage to the top of the fuselage - based on some of the initial pictures, it appears that the fire started well after evacuation.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:36 pm

Reports that all survived
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
My pilot son is watching the aerial shots of the wreckage with me. He points out that the left inboard flaps on the aircraft, which would normally have been deployed 25-30 degrees for landing, are missing. This suggests the aircraft rolled left on landing possibly in response to burst tires in the main gear on touchdown, the flaps contacting the ground and separating.

Contrary to the CNN witness' earlier testimony the left wing did not separate from the fuselage but the left engine nacelle is missing. Also the entire vertical stabilizer is missing.

Last edited by BearX220; Jul 6, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Aircraft is HL7742
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DRUNKinDFW
Fox News currently has some great aerial footage showing the aftermath:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1155606219001/

Appears to be significant fire damage to the top of the fuselage - based on some of the initial pictures, it appears that the fire started well after evacuation.
Crap -- there are seats back where the tail separated. I have a horrible feeling some people didn't make it.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by greendx
Reports that all survived
Great news. That's the most important thing.

It must have been terrifying.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by SFO777
"Plane watching" eyewitness reporting normal landing but plane may have touched down too early, nose did not touch, plane bounced up then down, left wing broke off, then tail broke off on impact. Lots of smoke but little in the way of flames.
Eyewitness is incorrect. Both wings are still intact. Only a portion of the tail is missing. Judging from the amount of damage and lack of casualties, I doubt this plane did a cartwheel as has been previously reported.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
They better get some water or fire retardant on that brown grass fast, or it will go up, too. Conditions there very hot and dry.
Pretty sure the fire services on scene at SFO know what to do.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
Crap -- there are seats back where the tail separated. I have a horrible feeling some people didn't make it.
Actually, they're close, but all seats are forward of the door 4L, so if they were strapped in, they may have stayed put. Let's hope.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DRUNKinDFW
Multiple reports of the plane "cartwheeling" after touchdown, so if accurate, I can see how a cartwheeling plane would break apart like that. But if it did cartwheel, I'm surprised that both wings appear to be intact.

The tail appears to be in touchdown area of the runway.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The vertical stabilizer is located on the runway threshold, right before the piano keys, along with a lot of small debris. Runway will be out of action for many hours even though the bulk of the wreckage is on the grass. Aviation expert Jim Tilmon on CNN says this points to a short landing and possible control problem in the final phase of flight.

I would add that the BA 777 incident at LHR also involved a control / sink rate problem in the final phase of flight.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Emergency services tweeted that all were accounted for, but one critical, and several with burns.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
By the shot of the debris field, looks like the plane touched down short and into the landfill area just before the runway.

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, FL A+ Elite, SPG Platinum,
I am not attempting to speculate by any means, but the Fox News aerial coverage just panned back to the very end of the runway, immediately abutting the water, prior to what I (a lay person) would consider to be the true 'start' of the runway, and there is a tremendous amount of debris...

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
There is trash strewn all the way to the seawall. Looks like the pilot touched down way too early.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.