Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 14, 12, 8:46 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, UA Premier
Posts: 1,023
Transfer between ICN and GMP

I have a possible itinerary for CDG to KX that involves a transfer between ICN and GMP. Does OZ transfer the baggage between the 2 airports, or would we to carry them ourselves on the train?

If we have to carry our own bags, maybe it would be better to wait another 90 minutes at ICN and take next plane out of there, but that means a 5 hour layover. Are there nice showers in the OZ business class lounge at ICN?
OsakaWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 12, 12:04 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: YVR. Now@ EU
Programs: T.A.
Posts: 23,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
I have a possible itinerary for CDG to KX that involves a transfer between ICN and GMP. Does OZ transfer the baggage between the 2 airports, or would we to carry them ourselves on the train?

If we have to carry our own bags, maybe it would be better to wait another 90 minutes at ICN and take next plane out of there, but that means a 5 hour layover. Are there nice showers in the OZ business class lounge at ICN?
As with cities with 2 airports, eg LGA and JFK, CDG and ORY, LHR and LGW, do you think the airlines there will transfer the bags for you???

You have to carry them with you , of course !

Don't remember about the showers. I don't think so.
Guy Betsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 12, 12:05 am   #3
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat
Posts: 91
The showers were good enough that I don't remember them, although lines might be long. I would stay at ICN to avoid the hassle of transferring unless you need to arrive by a specific time. On the other hand, if you were contemplating staying 5 hrs in CDG . .
DL0620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 12, 12:19 am   #4
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London; UK
Programs: LH SEN; BA Blue; HHonors Gold; Priority Club Gold
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
I have a possible itinerary for CDG to KX that involves a transfer between ICN and GMP. Does OZ transfer the baggage between the 2 airports, or would we to carry them ourselves on the train?

If we have to carry our own bags, maybe it would be better to wait another 90 minutes at ICN and take next plane out of there, but that means a 5 hour layover. Are there nice showers in the OZ business class lounge at ICN?
KX? where?

Bus from ICN to GMP is a limo bus where they load and unload your bags. About 30- 45 mins. Train works too but involves lugging bags.
In both cases you will need to immigrate into Korea, collect bags and emigrate again.
Transfer within ICN means you stay airside and don't go through immigration.

Showers at ICN in OZ lounge are fine and I've never had to wait.
ethelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 12, 12:36 am   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, UA Premier
Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethelman View Post
KX? where?

Bus from ICN to GMP is a limo bus where they load and unload your bags. About 30- 45 mins. Train works too but involves lugging bags.
In both cases you will need to immigrate into Korea, collect bags and emigrate again.
Transfer within ICN means you stay airside and don't go through immigration.

Showers at ICN in OZ lounge are fine and I've never had to wait.
Sorry, "KIX".

Well, if is it a choice between the two, we will stay at ICN. I was just surprised to be offered the itinerary with a change between ICN and GMP.
OsakaWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 12, 3:24 am   #6
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: GVA, LAX, ICN
Programs: KE MC
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Sorry, "KIX".

Well, if is it a choice between the two, we will stay at ICN. I was just surprised to be offered the itinerary with a change between ICN and GMP.
This has become standard practice for many locations as capacity is limited. Domestic and some close international flights is served at GMP with more regularity than at ICN.

Transfer ICN-GMP with luggage is not fun. Good choice on staying at ICN.
choijw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 12, 6:53 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE & SE Asia, N America
Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Posts: 3,102
The lounge at GMP is very poor. Just some snacks, no real food, no showers, very basic. The ICN lounge is miles better. I would definitely stay at ICN unless you really wanted another country's stamp in your passport or something like that.
A_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 12, 10:23 am   #8
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: Delta DM/Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 7,848
Aren't there free showers at ICN that one can use if there is you do not have lounge access?
SkyTeam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 12, 12:45 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE & SE Asia, N America
Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Aren't there free showers at ICN that one can use if there is you do not have lounge access?
There are. But only the shower is free. You have to pay if you need a towel/amenity kit. I recall it being something like 9,000 KRW, but don't know if the price has changed recently or not.
A_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 12, 10:29 pm   #10
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney
Programs: OZ Diamond Plus; Velocity Gold; HH Gold; A|Club Platinum
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Are there nice showers in the OZ business class lounge at ICN?
First post

the showers at OZ business lounge is quite good. and depending on the time of the day, they're not in high demand. last time i used it was on a SYD-ICN-LAX direct leg
sol95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 12, 10:47 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, UA Premier
Posts: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol95 View Post
First post

the showers at OZ business lounge is quite good. and depending on the time of the day, they're not in high demand. last time i used it was on a SYD-ICN-LAX direct leg
Still a novice myself, but allow me to be the first to welcome you to FT.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm nixing the ICN-GMP transfer, so if we stay 5 hours at ICN after the flight from CDG, a nice shower would be refreshing.
OsakaWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 12, 1:19 am   #12
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Asia/Europe
Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Posts: 5,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lee View Post
There are. But only the shower is free. You have to pay if you need a towel/amenity kit. I recall it being something like 9,000 KRW, but don't know if the price has changed recently or not.
I do think you have to bring your own towel nowadays...
mosburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 12, 1:23 am   #13
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Asia/Europe
Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Posts: 5,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lee View Post
The lounge at GMP is very poor. Just some snacks, no real food, no showers, very basic. The ICN lounge is miles better. I would definitely stay at ICN unless you really wanted another country's stamp in your passport or something like that.
I have flown Gimpo to Shanghai Hongqiao quite a lot. It's an ideal airport for short point-to-point hops to China and Japan and the international terminal is equipped for that purpose.

Tax free shops are very well stocked and the upstairs restaurant landside is one of the best at any airport, serving simple Korean and other Asian foods in a minimalist setting.
mosburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 12, 10:41 am   #14
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: Delta DM/Million Miler, United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lee View Post
There are. But only the shower is free. You have to pay if you need a towel/amenity kit. I recall it being something like 9,000 KRW, but don't know if the price has changed recently or not.
Thanks so much! Can you tell me where they are located? I have tried emailing the airport and even asking Korean Tourism and they are no help. I found a great video on YouTube showing the shower facilities, but it does not say where they are located.
SkyTeam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 12, 5:00 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE & SE Asia, N America
Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Posts: 3,102
Make your way up to Level 4, nearby the Asiana Lounge. At the top of the escalator, make a U turn, and you'll pass by bridge to the OZ C lounge, then the bridge to the OZ F lounge. Continue and you will see the HUB lounge to your left. To the right is a massage place as well as the showers. I think you need to enquire at the massage place with regard to the showers, but not really sure. Either there or the HUB lounge though should know what exactly is the deal with the showers. I've never used them myself.

Now that's assuming you're flying OZ so are in that area. If you're flying KE so are on the other side of the terminal, I think they might have a similar shower setup there, but not really sure.

I've never seen any showers on the Concourse terminal, other than in the OZ and KE lounges, so not sure if there are any there or not. That would only be applicable if you're flying a foreign carrier and arrived on a foreign carrier. If arriving on KE or OZ, or if ICN is your first flight, without any connecting flight, you'll first enter the main terminal where you can access the showers, before heading to the concourse terminal if necessary.
A_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:47 pm.