FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Oz hkg-icn-syd (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1305341-oz-hkg-icn-syd.html)

kamchatsky Jan 21, 2012 9:32 pm

Oz hkg-icn-syd

I am looking to burn my remaining BD points for HKG-SYD C travel in April, and given the miles I could not do VS direct, but on Miles + Cash award on *A.

So my options are:
NZ HKG-AKL-SYD (no seat)
SQ HKG-SIN-SYD (no seat)
TG HKG-BKK-SYD
OZ HKG-ICN-SYD
CA HKG-PVG-SYD

My plan is to try to travel overnight if possible as I don't want to check in hotel on transit.

Now I actually wanted to try NZ as I never tried Business Premier before, but they don't have seat available. SQ is also off, and really given quality of CA I am choosing either TG or OZ. I have tried both and they both have their pluses or minuses. I heard TG is rotating their BKK-SYD birds between A346 and old 747 which worried me. But one thing about OZ C ICN-SYD that put me off 2 years ago is that they did not have AVOD on a 10 hour flight. It actually annoyed me greatly.

Can anyone advise what are the birds used for ICN-SYD route these days? Is it still Russian Roulette or it is all AVOD now?

Also how is their HKG-ICN C? Are they on old recliners or similar seats as ICN-SYD? Also how is the food like? Which lounge can I use at HKG? I assume that OZ food is still better than TG, right?

Finally, is there any chance I get that Quadra Smartium seats? Or I am still dreaming?

DownUnderFlyer Jan 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by edison (Post 17861259)
Can anyone advise what are the birds used for ICN-SYD route these days? Is it still Russian Roulette or it is all AVOD now?

Finally, is there any chance I get that Quadra Smartium seats? Or I am still dreaming?

It never was Russian Roulette. It was always very consistent: The oldest birds would go to SYD and you usually never had AVOD. This has not changed. It is more Russian Roulette with the magazine almost full: There is a 1 in 50 chance that you will get Quadra Smartium on this route. So if AVOD is important, don't take OZ.

kamchatsky Jan 22, 2012 2:15 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 17861661)
It never was Russian Roulette. It was always very consistent: The oldest birds would go to SYD and you usually never had AVOD. This has not changed. It is more Russian Roulette with the magazine almost full: There is a 1 in 50 chance that you will get Quadra Smartium on this route. So if AVOD is important, don't take OZ.

Why would it be the oldest bird anyway, even though it is more than 10 hours each way? Is it because it is considered as "leisure" route? Or no one really flies on that route (ie not profitable) for them to put the new birds? Or just lack of competition?

DownUnderFlyer Jan 23, 2012 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by edison (Post 17862019)
Why would it be the oldest bird anyway, even though it is more than 10 hours each way? Is it because it is considered as "leisure" route? Or no one really flies on that route (ie not profitable) for them to put the new birds? Or just lack of competition?

I think the answer is "yes". But I guess the main reason is that it is a leisure route. C in particular is always empty.

Blackcloud Jan 24, 2012 1:59 pm

NZ often opens up award availability in Business 60 - 7 days before the flight.
Note that the Trans-Tasman flight may be all economy (A320 flights) or Business Class flights limited I think 2 or 3 a day.

Captain Canuck Feb 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by edison (Post 17862019)

I am flying this route on points in October with Mrs CC (Oct 18). When I did a dummy booking it showed the route being serviced by a 330 (which seat guru shows as 2-2-2 in J), but when I called to book seats, I was told only the 3 middle seats were available ?? Does this mean that the flight is on one of the older 777's ?

Anyone have expierience with this route that can shed some light on this ?

Thanks

CC