FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   23hr 30min connection with Asiana. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1260192-23hr-30min-connection-asiana.html)

iker Sep 18, 2011 1:50 pm

23hr 30min connection with Asiana.

My partner is traveling with Asiana in business class on Wednesday, September 21 from Guangzhou to Seoul where he must overnight and catch a flight to San Francisco the following afternoon (again with Asiana), on Thursday, September 22nd.

Two questions: 1) Does Asiana provide accommodations for business class passengers?

2) Can he check his luggage in on the 21st and pick it up in San Francisco the morning of the 22nd or must he claim his luggage in Seoul upon arrival and recheck the following afternnoon. Not sure about itineraries with a 23.5 hour connection time. I'm laughing.

lee_apromise Sep 18, 2011 5:13 pm

1) Is it involuntary stopover? (stopover forced by earlier fully-booked flights don't count)
If yes, then one gets a room, if not, no. Award flights don't get a room as well.

2) Since it is less than 24 hours, the luggages go all the way to SFO.

p.s: Can we please have a sticky post regarding the stopover hotels provided by Asiana? OZ forum is flooded with this kind of questions and yet people don't bother to do a search.

iker Sep 18, 2011 7:02 pm

It's a paid business class ticket. Full fare. When partner learned there was an overnight connection, which I hadn't realized when I made the reservation, he wanted to cancel the return. He said he'd consider keeping the return if he didn't have to pay for the hotel.

I'm actually in a remote corner of the world (bhutan) and flyertalk pages are taking a long time to render (30+ min) which is why I didn't do a search for the hotel. Was simply taking too long.

lee_apromise Sep 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by iker (Post 17131735)
It's a paid business class ticket. Full fare. When partner learned there was an overnight connection, which I hadn't realized when I made the reservation, he wanted to cancel the return. He said he'd consider keeping the return if he didn't have to pay for the hotel.

I'm actually in a remote corner of the world (bhutan) and flyertalk pages are taking a long time to render (30+ min) which is why I didn't do a search for the hotel. Was simply taking too long.

It is a bit in grey area. Even if your partner takes OZ356 (01:30 dep) and connect to OZ214 (16:30 dep), it is still 8+ hours connection time, in which case your partner is eligible for a room.

I would call OZ and argue the point above and get a room. I wasn't pointing at you about my remark about searching, it's just lately there have been too many questions about this kind of situations. Fully understandable in your situation though ^

Doug_1970 Sep 20, 2011 12:55 am

I agree that there should be a sticky on this as it is asked so often.

As others have said, your partner will have no problem getting their luggage checked through to the final destination.

Even if an overnight hotel is offered, it will be one of the soulless (no pun intended) ones near to the airport. If you've already spent at least $4k - $5k on a business ticket, then why not spend another $200 on a downtown hotel?

Seoul is a wonderful city, with great people and no shortage of things to do. In my opinion, life is too short to spend 20 hours of it in a charmless hotel watching CNN, especially when there's a great city centre just a short train ride away.

iker Sep 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks for your responses. I contacted Asiana and was told that a hotel was not included in the airfare, but that he could enjoy lounge access when it's open. He's booked at a Hyatt and enjoyed dinner and drinks either former law school mate now living in Seoul. He'll be doing some light touring tomorroe in Seoul in time for his late afternoon flight. Report so far is that he loves Seoul. Thanks for feedback. Would anyone know whether the new smartium quadra seats are on tomorrow's flight (9/22)? Thanks