FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asiana | Asiana Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club-614/)
-   -   Asiana Seat Selection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asiana-asiana-club/1209744-asiana-seat-selection.html)

dat209 Apr 27, 2011 5:54 am

Asiana Seat Selection

I am scheduled to take a trip next week for work that is booked entirely through Continental, but two of the legs of the trip are actually on Asiana, codeshared on Continental. I can select my seats on the Continental website for the Continental legs, but can not find a way to get Asiana to let me do it on the Continental site or on their own site. Does anyone know of any tricks that I might have to use in order to get to select my own seat for these (much longer) legs of the trip?

DownUnderFlyer Apr 27, 2011 8:57 am

Welcome to FT, dat209!

You are waisting your time trying to do this online. You would need to call OZ or maybe even CO to get this seat assigned.

If you would have used the search function of Flyertalk or if you would have just had a look a few threads below yours you would have found the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...ing-seats.html

Mabuk dan gila Apr 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by dat209 (Post 16287879)
I am scheduled to take a trip next week for work that is booked entirely through Continental, but two of the legs of the trip are actually on Asiana, codeshared on Continental. I can select my seats on the Continental website for the Continental legs, but can not find a way to get Asiana to let me do it on the Continental site or on their own site. Does anyone know of any tricks that I might have to use in order to get to select my own seat for these (much longer) legs of the trip?

On http://us.flyasiana.com Online Seat Assignments Use your full continental e-ticket number starting with 005 (backspace out the 988 pre-filled in the form) and your name exactly as it appears on the reservation including your middle name or middle initial appended to your first name if your full middle name or middle initial is included in the reservation. Only works with Microsoft Internet Explorer and only from a MS Windows PC.

ande777emt Apr 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila (Post 16290399)
On http://us.flyasiana.com Online Seat Assignments Use your full continental e-ticket number starting with 005 (backspace out the 988 pre-filled in the form) and your name exactly as it appears on the reservation including your middle name or middle initial appended to your first name if your full middle name or middle initial is included in the reservation. Only works with Microsoft Internet Explorer and only from a MS Windows PC.

I've never had the US site work for seat selection. You would have to call OZ for seating changes. Every time I've modified a seating arrangement on OZ I have had to call them.

trooper Apr 28, 2011 12:04 am

I hadn't been able to access seat selection for an OZ flight (new "QS" C seats yay!) until I tried what Mabuk dan gila suggested...

This too was a multi-airline itin...

In my case the ticket number (from my TA) started with 167 (?) but it all worked.

Just wasn't really sure what seats to choose.... not that a huge number were "available" anyway... went for 3A and 4A... Given the design I suspect they are all pretty much teh same.. except for 1A and 1K which look rather good!

Mabuk dan gila Apr 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by ande777emt (Post 16293434)
I've never had the US site work for seat selection. You would have to call OZ for seating changes. Every time I've modified a seating arrangement on OZ I have had to call them.

I just checked my seat assignments and made a change 5 minutes ago on http://us.flyasiana.com . On a "005" Continental award ticket, where the outbound flights are TG. Took me 2 minutes. I was able to view changes that had occurred since last I looked and saw a better seat than there was earlier so I moved. I'll probably check 3 or 4 more times before I actually take the flight. Calling I wouldn't have that level of information and wouldn't be doing it half a dozen times making changes on a whim like I can on the web site.

The system has consistently worked fine since about the last two major changes, probably close to a year ago. Ever since they added the e-ticket number option. Before that, you can search here and find me ranting and cursing it more than anyone but it does work now.

As has been posted before the main reason it fails to work are middle name or middle initial. For instance if my name were MABUK DAN GILA (not my real name ;)) I might have a reservation as GILA\MABUK or it might be GILA\MABUKD or it might be GILA\MABUKDAN. Since the seat assignment web page has no place to put middle name, if a middle initial or middle name exists in the reservation it must be appended to the first name or else it will not find the reservation. So for instance my current reservation has my middle initial. In the web form I enter my continental e-Ticket number (back spacing out the prefilled "988" first which is for an Asiana ticket) Last Name: GILA, First Name: MABUKD and voila it works.

The other major issue is that it is well established it will fail to save seats with the "running clock issue" if you use any browser other than Microsoft Internet Explorer under Microsoft windows. No Firefox, no Chrome, no Safari, no Mac's no Linux. Them R da rules. About a year ago during the second to last major change it briefly worked inconsistently under Firefox and Chrome in Linux but since the last change I have never got it to work other than IE but it HAS consistently worked with that.

soy May 1, 2011 3:35 am

great tip, finally can pre-select OZ seats - I have just selected 2k for my upcoming F trip - thanks ^

maltman1 May 1, 2011 9:40 am

Ok this is now a quest for it to work. I added my 016 UA flight number.

My ticket from US list me as (Not real Name) Smith /Steve C MR) I had to add the C and MR part for it to work on ANA's web site for one segment of the trip, and it worked. No matter what combination of my name I can seem to get it to work with Asiana....Hints? or just call them, but like I said its becoming a quest for this to work.

Mabuk dan gila May 1, 2011 10:57 am

Originally Posted by maltman1 (Post 16309455)
Ok this is now a quest for it to work. I added my 016 UA flight number.

My ticket from US list me as (Not real Name) Smith /Steve C MR) I had to add the C and MR part for it to work on ANA's web site for one segment of the trip, and it worked. No matter what combination of my name I can seem to get it to work with Asiana....Hints? or just call them, but like I said its becoming a quest for this to work.

Id bet on Last Name: SMITH First Name: STEVEC (no spaces) but wouldn't be surprised if it were a different variation. I haven't personally seen the MR required to log in to Asiana's site although that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Also, I assume it is just a typo but by "016 UA flight number." you do mean 016 UA E-ticket number, right???? An E-ticket issued by UA is indeed a thirteen digit number beginning with 016 so I'm guessing that is the right number but just to verify, the flight number is NOT the number you log into Asiana's web site with.

trust77 May 2, 2011 11:01 pm

GREAT tip! Thx for sharing this.

You've answered the question MANY have had.

Kudos to you.

Atlantico May 3, 2011 9:18 am

Hi guys,

Did someone had sucess to input seats for a flight booked trough US Airways?
With US Airways Ticket #?

Regards

phelme May 4, 2011 1:51 pm

Just got off the phone with Asiana for an SFO<->ICN flight to talk about seat assignments (the original booking has my wife and I sitting apart) and was told they can't change anything now with their system and to call back in a few weeks. Wasn't clear on the "why," but it sounded like it might be specific to SFO. :confused:

SirJman May 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantico (Post 16320630)
Hi guys,

Regards

I havent been able to get my US ticket # to work for my upcoming reservation. Its a US# on the OZ flight, so that might be the problem.

Tech Noir May 12, 2011 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Atlantico (Post 16320630)
Hi guys,

Regards

Yes, was able to select seats on OZ using the method described here, with a ticket issued by US Airways, with US ticket number (037 stock) but OZ flight numbers.

Wanderlust2011 May 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Has anyone been successful with AC e-ticket numbers (014 stock)?