Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana Seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Asiana Seats

I am just wondering if the trick of not doing an online check-in and trying your luck on the check-in counter can provide you better seats than the seats you reserved still works?
Will be travelling from Manila to Seoul to San Francisco this weekend.

Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by pyron666
I am just wondering if the trick of not doing an online check-in and trying your luck on the check-in counter can provide you better seats than the seats you reserved still works?
Will be travelling from Manila to Seoul to San Francisco this weekend.

Thanks!
Asking for better seats at check-in still is a good strategy, though in my experience there is no need to not do online check-in. I usually do online check-in and then ask anyway. Sometimes there are better seats, sometimes not, but more often than not I get a better result than what I currently have booked. I usually start by politely asking whether the flight is full and whether the seat next to me has been filled.
JoeDaejeon likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
You should always do online check in. You have access to the entire plane except for bulkhead seats and premium pay seats in the first rows.

You should also always ask at check in “Is the flight oversold today?” Asiana and rival Korean Air are very well known for upgrading passengers in economy to business class seats (with economy service aka one tray meal and simple drinks). This way they can free up the cabin without bumping anyone.

If they actually say yes it’s oversold, just casually mention “last time I flew Asiana, the moved some economy class passengers to business class seats, and still received economy service. Is that possible today?”

You might get lucky! I have several times on Korean Air.
tropikey likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by jon503
Asking for better seats at check-in still is a good strategy, though in my experience there is no need to not do online check-in. I usually do online check-in and then ask anyway. Sometimes there are better seats, sometimes not, but more often than not I get a better result than what I currently have booked. I usually start by politely asking whether the flight is full and whether the seat next to me has been filled.
Exactly what I do.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
Asiana's website isn't the best by any standard, also many seats are blocked.

if you have to have a window or aisle seat it'd be ok to just ask for one when you check in at the airport, they usually have availability
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:55 am

More and more passengers select seats in advance. In my recent experience, Asiana release most seats at 72 hours before the flight and close any seat selection at 48 hours before the flight. Only those unselected seats are allocated for airport check-in. So 72-48hr window is when we can select good front seats, and seat availability drastically changes between 71.5 and 48.5hr, meaning many people might know this window already, or Asiana instruct people who complaints there's no more seat to select to come back at this window for better seat selection.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
I've requested some seats in the front cabin for ICN-JFK tomorrow.
Hopefully, it will get done... will update once I land.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:45 am

I always select my seats online in advance but try to get a better seat when checking in.

Today, I flew HNL-ICN on the 777 and it seems you couldn't select anything from rows 10-16 in online check in. When checking in, I asked how the loads were and they said it was light. They gave me 12C and blocked the seat next to me. Took off with all 3 seats for myself. The back of the plane was a bit more packed but there were a few rows of 3 seats at the front of the plane that went empty.

I also ask what the loads are like when checking in. They will be quite specific (for example, 10 empty seats) and if it's overbooked, it will be a chance to get an op-up.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin
I've requested some seats in the front cabin for ICN-JFK tomorrow.
Hopefully, it will get done... will update once I land.
So I got my seat upfront.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.