Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 5, 09, 11:56 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
Advice on Manila airport taxis to Makati

Hafa Adai!
My husband and I are going on a special weekend getaway to Manila next month. We arrive at 8:40 p.m. and need to get to the Makati Shangri-La. We can fork out about USD $40 for the hotel's taxi service, or be adventurous and flag down a non-hotel taxi company. Neither of us speak Tagalog, and as this is hubby's first visit to Manila, he's a bit leery of arriving at night and jumping into a random taxi. Any advice, recommendations and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
guammom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 09, 2:33 am   #2
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,851
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/698; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Hello, I don't recommend flagging down a taxi and so if you decide not to use the hotel service, there's an airport taxi service you can use.
When you step out of the terminal building after picking up your luggage, the airport taxi service is on the left after crossing the driveway.
If I remember correctly from the airport to the hotel should cost somewhere between 300 to 500 pesos (around 10 US dollars or so).
The hotel is only about 3 to 5 kilometers away, but as you're traveling during rush hour, it can take more than an hour to get there so be sure to get a cab with working air conditioning.
KIXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 09, 4:38 am   #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
thanks

KIXman--Thanks for the info! The Airport Taxi service seems much more reasonably priced. I'm surprised to learn the rush hour traffic still plagues the streets that late at night. Good to know, then we won't be worried if it takes an hour or more to get to the hotel.
guammom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 09, 8:02 am   #4
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tri-State Area
Posts: 3,907
Unfortunately the airport in Manila remains unchanged, even as the rest of the world flies by. You'll go through the same corridors, pay for the same luggage trolleys, go through the same lines and when out of terminal, face the same typical traffic patterns as you leave the airport to town.

The airport taxi service is fairly reliable - whatever you do, don't get into just any taxi or say yes to a gypsy driver!
dtsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 09, 7:45 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Posts: 543
9pm should be not too bad for traffic - if it is not raining - but there are normally roadworks and other delays that can clog up traffic very easily. 30mins to your hotel should be about right. Maybe a little more for a Friday night and double that if it is raining. There are Airport Taxis (white van-type vehicles) that will be about P400, but there are now also the yellow Metered Taxi available just after you walk out of the doors. With both methods of transport you go to the desk or office and tell the girl where you want to go and they will give you a little slip. The Metered Taxi will be about P200, the white Airport Taxi will be a fixed rate, which they will tell you when you go to the desk. The Airport Taxi is a better vehicle normally (ie, roadworthy) and can fit several large suitcases. I would just take the yellow Metered Taxi if I had small suitcases.

The Metered Taxis are cheap to use in Manila, although some can be not-so-roadworthy. Always insist on the meter being used, but don't be afraid to give a tip if it is a short journey.
Crocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 09, 8:00 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Posts: 857
Don't worry at all about the language. English is widely spoken, and in 3 weeks in and around Makati City I never had the slightest problem with language.

If you get a chance, spend a day on Corregidor, it's an extraordinary place that you'll never forget. I caught a boat right from the harbour in Manila and will always be glad I made the impulsive decision to go.

And Welcome to FlyerTalk!
__________________
You can't have a favourite place until you've seen them all Time to buy a new car!
www.tutorius.com
AC110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 09, 12:43 am   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
thanks!

Thanks to all the information and great advice! The metered taxis sound like the way to go; we're planning only a short stay and wont have much luggage. I'll be sure to share my experience in a trip report when we return.
guammom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 10, 4:19 am   #8
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London
Programs: Skywards
Posts: 31
Thumbs up Taxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by guammom View Post
Thanks to all the information and great advice! The metered taxis sound like the way to go; we're planning only a short stay and wont have much luggage. I'll be sure to share my experience in a trip report when we return.
Yes, definitely the new Yellow Metered taxis are the way to go. They are the best thing to happen in recent years. No problems with them whatsoever.
FFlyer189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 10, 5:20 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
9pm should be not too bad for traffic - if it is not raining - but there are normally roadworks and other delays that can clog up traffic very easily. 30mins to your hotel should be about right. Maybe a little more for a Friday night and double that if it is raining. There are Airport Taxis (white van-type vehicles) that will be about P400, but there are now also the yellow Metered Taxi available just after you walk out of the doors. With both methods of transport you go to the desk or office and tell the girl where you want to go and they will give you a little slip. The Metered Taxi will be about P200, the white Airport Taxi will be a fixed rate, which they will tell you when you go to the desk. The Airport Taxi is a better vehicle normally (ie, roadworthy) and can fit several large suitcases. I would just take the yellow Metered Taxi if I had small suitcases.

The Metered Taxis are cheap to use in Manila, although some can be not-so-roadworthy. Always insist on the meter being used, but don't be afraid to give a tip if it is a short journey.
I always use the Airport Taxi with the fix rate. Not only is it usually a better vehicle, but the air conditioning always works (compared to the local metered taxi)!!
Mr. Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 10, 6:25 pm   #10
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, A/Plat IHG, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 20,696
With either taxi service (metered v fix rate), is there any premium added for late night service? For instance in Singapore after a certain hour there is a premium added to the fare. We are arriving late into Manila MNL (23:55) and I'm curious. Thanks.

--
Sweet Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 10, 5:27 am   #11
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TKY, Japan, SFO, CA
Programs: Marriott Rewards, Star Alliance, PC Plat Amb, Delta
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by guammom View Post
Hafa Adai!
My husband and I are going on a special weekend getaway to Manila next month. We arrive at 8:40 p.m. and need to get to the Makati Shangri-La. We can fork out about USD $40 for the hotel's taxi service, or be adventurous and flag down a non-hotel taxi company. Neither of us speak Tagalog, and as this is hubby's first visit to Manila, he's a bit leery of arriving at night and jumping into a random taxi. Any advice, recommendations and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We paid P330 about $7 for an official taxi, actually a mini van that accomodated 5 of us plus about 5 luggages & some carry ons to the Manila Intercon. Makati Shang is just another block away. The Intercon also has the $40 pick up service but obviously is not needed here.

Sweet Willy, no, there is no Singapore style after hours premium in Manila.
bmttokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 10, 4:59 pm   #12
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, A/Plat IHG, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 20,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmttokyo View Post
Sweet Willy, no, there is no Singapore style after hours premium in Manila.
excellent, thank you
Sweet Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 10, 7:36 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Programs: NZ *G
Posts: 4,251
If I can add a further question!

Staying in Ermita and will be flying out on CX (in J if it makes much difference at the airport!) at 6:20 on a Sunday morning...

Any advice on what time to plan to leave the hotel (by taxi)???

Many thanks!!!
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:18 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold)
Posts: 876
At that time, traffic will be pretty well as light as it ever gets, so I would allow about 30 mins to get to the airport from Ermita. Being in J will certainly reduce your checkin time markedly, so your major possible delay will be at immigration. If you leave at 4am you should have no problems.
whughes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 10, 8:36 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Programs: NZ *G
Posts: 4,251
Thanks... I was hoping not to relive my navy watchkeeping days!!!

But it won't kill me once!!!
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:22 pm.