Colombo Airport (CMB): short overnight transit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al

We're scheduled to fly into Colombo arriving at 12:30am on CX and will be departing at 7:05am on UL in J. I'm trying to figure out the best option for our short layover in CMB and determine if it's even worth the hassle of booking (and getting to) a hotel.

Does UL have a 24-hour presence at CMB? Will we be able to check-in for our UL flight and use UL's Serendib lounge immediately after our arrival? Will we have the option of staying airside to check-in if CX is able to interline our bags? Are there any hotels, transit rooms, or sleeping facilities that wouldn't require us to leave the airport, and can we reserve these ahead of time?

Thanks,
FlyerBeek
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

There are rooms you can rent in the secured transit area.

Yes, UL has a nice lounge. However, I'd try to pay for a room to sleep a few hours as there is no truly quiet space in the lounge.

I would not leave the airport to go to a hotel. It's just too much hassle for such a short window of time.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
It all depends on whether you need to reclaim luggage or not. If your bags are checked through and you can stay in the transit area, you have two options:

1. a mini transit "hotel"(a hallway with 7-10 rooms off it) with basic, but functional rooms
2. the Serendib Lounge has 4-5 slumber rooms

I have always found availability in one of the above.

Now, if you have to get your luggage and clear immigration and customs, my experience has been that you cannot check-in for your flight more than 3 or so hours before departure. That means waiting around the departures area in the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever sat in. Absolutely ridiculous.

Summary: do whatever you can to make sure you can stay in the transit area. Definitely not worth going to a hotel.

I did a CX-->UL transfer at CMB in June. CX in Hong Kong had no problem interlining my bags to UL, so was able to stay in the transit area. On the way back, UL would not interline my bags to CX. Had to reclaim them, which meant had to leave the transit area and had to wait for hours for CX to open up its counters. And I am not exaggerating when I say the departure area chairs are the most uncomfortable ones you've ever sat in. And they're brand new. Disgraceful.

Last edited by justforfun; Oct 9, 2008 at 11:55 pm
Old Oct 10, 2008, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please note that the Serendib lounge doesn't open till around 4.
What I would do is stay in the airside "hotel", then get up at 5:30, check in at the transfer desk and go to the lounge for breakfast.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I have done this two times in the last couple of years Once landed at 1am and connection to MLE was at 7 but got delayed till 9am. Ouch! No lounge access so stayed airside. The airport is pretty much open 24hrs so there is always people around. You should be able to sleep well in the lounge which was open 24hrs the last time I was there. Maybe that has changed now. You can waste a couple of hours getting a cheap foot massage airside.

If you do want to leave then Taj is your best option. Should take 10 minutes from the airport. Would not recommend this though.

Also do remember that if you have to re-check in for your flight then its best to do that at the transfer desk. They normally go and physically re-tag my luggage and give me the new boarding passes at the transfer desk.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:19 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by graraps
Please note that the Serendib lounge doesn't open till around 4.
When was this? It was open thru the night last time I was there.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Thanks all for the replies.

I have a few more questions:
-Is the transit desk open 24hrs?
-Does anyone know if it's possible to reserve a room in the secure-side transit hotel prior to arrival?
-Are the secure-side departures and arrivals sections of CMB segregated? (can we stay on the secure-side and get to the transit hotel upon arrival if we're unable to get our UL boarding passes?)

Thanks again,
FlyerBeek
Old Oct 10, 2008, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Thanks all for the replies.

I have a few more questions:
-Is the transit desk open 24hrs?
-Does anyone know if it's possible to reserve a room in the secure-side transit hotel prior to arrival?
-Are the secure-side departures and arrivals sections of CMB segregated? (can we stay on the secure-side and get to the transit hotel upon arrival if we're unable to get our UL boarding passes?)

Thanks again,
FlyerBeek
Transit desk is open 24hrs.
Not possible to pre-reserve a room. It's just a make-shift transit "hotel".
Departures and Arrivals are not segregated. Everyone mixes.
Yes, you can get a transit room without having your onward UL boarding passes.
The Serendib Lounge is open 24hrs.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
I have something similar coming up soon, arriving at 13:35 and departing again at 00:05.

Is there anything to do/see near the airport or is it not worth the hassle of going through security? I wouldn't mind getting a massage or having a swim.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 5:16 pm

You can get a massage in the transit area. There are a coupe of places. You probably have enough time to go one of the area hotel for a swim. The Taj Airport Garden Hotel is very close, then there are some hotels in Negombo.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by circusboy
I have something similar coming up soon, arriving at 13:35 and departing again at 00:05.

Is there anything to do/see near the airport or is it not worth the hassle of going through security? I wouldn't mind getting a massage or having a swim.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Go out for sure. That is too much time to waste espically during day light hours when you can't sleep. Take a mini tour of the city. You can get a pre negotiated taxi from one of the few agents who have shops just past customs. Or go to one of the various hotels near by and have a few beers at the pool
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Anything new in 4 years?

Arriving around 11:00PM on UL. Connecting to EK at 09:40AM the next morning. Are the transit hotel rooms still 1st come, 1st served? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
Like SFO777, I'm wondering what options now exist for the middle of the night at CMB.

I'm arriving at 12:15am on SQ, and plan on catching a train at about 6am. I'm assuming that I should head to the train station from the airport by 4:30am or so. Should I wait a little longer? Should I even stay at the airport? If no, any other suggestions for passing the time in the middle of the night in Colombo?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enki
Like SFO777, I'm wondering what options now exist for the middle of the night at CMB.
I'm arriving at 12:15am on SQ, and plan on catching a train at about 6am. I'm assuming that I should head to the train station from the airport by 4:30am or so. Should I wait a little longer? Should I even stay at the airport? If no, any other suggestions for passing the time in the middle of the night in Colombo?
I did find the link and booked a room for 6 hours in February. They were quick to respond and confirm, including confirmation #.
http://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/flyin...-transit-hotel
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by SFO777
I did find the link and booked a room for 6 hours in February. They were quick to respond and confirm, including confirmation #.
http://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/flyin...-transit-hotel
Thanks, SFO777! And on your vacation, too I'd love to hear about your stay here afterwards. Perhaps another TR?

Last edited by enki; Jan 2, 2013 at 8:44 am Reason: Asking about a TR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.