Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stephem
Moderator note: this Wikipost provides general visa guidelines and summarizes the information provided by FT members throughout this thread. Businesses mentioned in this wiki are in no way endorsed or recommended by FlyerTalk, and advertising is prohibited. FlyerTalk's commercial post rule is strictly enforced in this thread, and all spam-like posts will be immediately removed.

Vietnam Visa Information

Main source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam - Visa Application and Information - includes fillable application (external website)

Transit Without Visa

Vietnam permits foreigners to transit without a visa (TWOV) provided they remain inside the airport transit areas while awaiting an onward flight out of the country within 24 hours of arrival. Travelers are not allowed to leave the airport without a visa.

Visa Exemption for Phu Quoc Island

If you are only visiting Phu Quoc Island, guess what, you probably don't need a visa at all! There is a 30 day visa exception for Phu Quoc visits, and many people report being able to transit in HAN or SGN en route to PQC. But there are now direct flights to PQC and that allows you to avoid having to get a visa at all. Worth considering...

Regular Visa in Advance of Travel

Foreigners may obtain a visa at the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Prices are not published and appear to vary from location to location. Most recent reports suggest a typical fee of approximately USD 100.

ONLINE APPLICATION LOOSE LEAF VISA
Vietnam Visa Online Application and instructions:
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process

From what I've learned, you attach the three (3) files listed below to an email along with your credit card number and the visa section will mail back a loose leaf visa.

As of December, 2015, the fees are $80 = 1 month visa, $20 = overnight USPS, $10 priority mail. Multiple entry visas are available.

Fill out the online application form.
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process
Follow "online form" link. Choose language top right.

Including uploading to the application a correctly sized photo, 2x2 inches (website will check and confirm) that will propagate into the application.

Print out the application form, sign, scan as .pdf file. Attach the .pdf to your email.

Attach a correctly sized photo (2x2 inches).

Attach a scanned a copy of your passport (photo, personal detail pages and signature page).

Include your credit card number. The visa section will charge your card for visa type and USPS Express return a loose leaf visa.

Ask politely for the tracking number and total charges.

Call Embassy Visa to double check the above details and current email address: 202. 861. 0737, x118/121/122/123/125

As of December, 2015, the email address to send the application is: [email protected].

Visa Exemption

Those traveling on passports issued by the following nations are generally exempt from visa requirements for varying durations of stay: Belarus, Brunei, Cambodia, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand and UK. See the entry visa exemption list at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for duration of stay info.

eVisa

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en...trang-chu-ttdt

List of countries eligible for eVisa: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/do...b-91595a4f5867 (link updated 2017-12-19, note new list can be published with different link) 35 more countries were announced as eligible for e-visa on Feb 20, 2019. Total is now 81 countries. See post 1561 for new additions (government website is down currently, will update with link here when possible).

Remember to print out the e-visa form they give you, as they will request it on arrival and on departure!

Some ports of entry require the evisa to be validated on arrival. In particular DAD has been cited in the thread as requiring the evisa holder to be processed at the VOA desk. Takes about 15 mins.

Visa On Arrival (VOA) at Airport Border Entries

Travelers planning to obtain a VOA should arrive with the following documents:

• VOA approval letter
  • Completed VISA APPLICATION which can be downloaded from most VOA service provider websites (travelers are advised to print the form on A4-size paper as there have been reports of US letter-size paper being refused)
  • One passport-type photo
  • Cash for visa stamp fee (see below)

VOA stamp fees for Non-USA passport holders (as of December 2019) are US$25 for a single entry of 1 or 3 months validity, US$50 for multiple entry of 1 or 3 months validity or US$100 for multiple entry 1 year validity.

For USA passport holders, there was a temporary increase from September to December of 2016, up to $135. However Effective December 15, 2016 the $135 stamping fee for US citizens has been dropped, and there are reports US passport holders can be issued VOA letters for single entry 30 day visas again AND that US citizens should only have to pay a $25 stamp fee at on collection of VOA. In late December, there were reports are that the desks in HAN and DAD did not receive the memo, so YMMV until the airport desks "get the memo."

This fee must be paid at the VOA counter on arrival , and is in addition to whatever fees you have paid the VOA service provider for the invitation letter. Payments are accepted in Vietnamese Dong, USD or Euros.

Visa on arrival (VOA) is permitted for one of the following purposes:

• Attend the funeral of family member or visit a family member in critical condition;
    • Arrival from a country where there is no Vietnamese diplomatic mission/consular office;
      • Visit Vietnam on tours organized by Vietnamese international travel agencies;
        • Provide emergency technical assistance for construction works, projects; emergency treatment for critical patients or accident victims; emergency relief in cases of natural disasters or epidemics in Vietnam;
          • For other urgent reasons.

There are countless service providers on the internet that offer VOA approval letters for a fee. Legitimate providers are licensed travel agencies, thus meeting the highlighted criterion above. Those planning to obtain a VOA approval letter are advised to take steps to ensure they are working with a licensed Vietnam travel agency or tour operator. Some Vietnam hotels are also able to provide this service.

Some VOA service providers offer expedited processing for same day or 30 minutes turnaround on issuance of VOA letter and priority processing upon arrival at the airport in Vietnam for an additional fee.

Advantages of VOA include lower cost than embassy-issued visa, eliminates the need to visit an embassy or mail passport for advance visa, and faster receipt of VOA approval letter (sent via email).

Disadvantages of VOA include longer immigration processing upon arrival, with potentially long waits for receipt of visa (usually 10-20 min., but longer waits do occur); privacy concerns due to inclusion of personal data for multiple unrelated travelers on one approval letter; and risk of scams by unauthorized VOA service providers.

VOA Process at the Airport in SGN

Removed by poster

VOA Service Providers Recommended By FTers

The following are a few of the VOA service providers that have been used and discussed in the thread by active FlyerTalk members. These providers publish sufficient information on their websites to suggest that they are authorized operators (e.g., provide physical business address, state actual travel company name, display tour operator license number, etc.). Members should verify these basic criteria before adding providers this list; simply having had successful transactions is not sufficient:

External Sources

Change log
26th-April
Edited to note that some ports of entry require the e-visa to be validated on arrival.
8 December 2019- Edited to add note about Phu Quoc being exempt from visa for 30 day visit and add info about 1 year multiple entry Visa which is now available via VoA process too.

FlyerTalkers with at least 90 days of membership and a minimum of 90 posts are invited to make corrections and update the information in this Wikipost.
Print Wikipost

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
I'm sure this has been mentioned but I can't specifically find my answer so looking for a bit of help. We are Canadian citizens arrive by Royal Caribbean cruise ship for a day tour with a Vietnam tour provider. Does anyone know if we qualify for VOA processed by the cruise line on arrival?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ewok22
I'm sure this has been mentioned but I can't specifically find my answer so looking for a bit of help. We are Canadian citizens arrive by Royal Caribbean cruise ship for a day tour with a Vietnam tour provider. Does anyone know if we qualify for VOA processed by the cruise line on arrival?
I may be wrong but I thought it was mentioned in the thread some time ago that VOA can only be done at 1 of 3 airports (SGN,HAN,DAD)

To be sure just click on to 1 of the agencys links at the bottom of the WiKi and see if the port pulls up as an option
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by ewok22
Have you called RC? The cruise lines tend to acquire visas on your behalf or have explicit policies/procedures to help you do it.

For example, Royal Caribbean has specific information on visas for Vietnam:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...qSubjectId=329

For Cambodia and Vietnam, ship personnel will assist each guest required to secure a visa for Cambodia and Vietnam and charge the guests onboard SeaPass account a one-time nominal fee. These visa fees include a small processing charge by our local representative.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: WS Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, AC 100K, INtercontinetal Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by st1575
Have you called RC? The cruise lines tend to acquire visas on your behalf or have explicit policies/procedures to help you do it.

For example, Royal Caribbean has specific information on visas for Vietnam:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...qSubjectId=329
I can't tell you how helpful this information is, many thanks. I now feel much better about waiting until on board our RCL cruise. FYI I did call and the person I spoke with really was of no help. The web site told be to spend $95.00 per person and apply for a visa but I heard that we can do it on the ship and your link defined that option ^
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: Various
We're flying through SGN in a couple of months, arriving at 12:05 am on ANA, and traveling onward to REP on Angkor Air on a separate ticket at 7 am the same day. (I know that SGN is a terrible airport for transits, but the airfare was so low that we decided it was worth it.) With such a short transit, it seems like a better plan to just stay in the airport (we've had terrible luck with waits in the immigration section of SGN before), and sack out in the sleep pods if possible, or on some chairs if not.

After reading through the forum, and the excellent advice on this thread, I'm thinking of getting VOA invite letters for $6 each (there are 4 of us), but not actually getting the VOAs. My rationale is that:

1) The VOA letters will avoid potential hassle with the airline when we board either our first flight to NRT or our second flight to SGN (one ticket); and
2) If we have some sort of disaster with our connection, we could actually enter Vietnam, rather than being stuck in the airport for a day or more.

Any thoughts on this? I know that we might potentially have to pay $31 total for a visa, rather than $25 for an e-visa, but the expected value of paying $6 pp as "insurance" seems like a better deal to me.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:44 am

IMO, that should work fine mechteach. Try at the transit counter (and please report back in the SGN transit thread, not many data points on transits at SGN) and just go out if they can't help you get upstairs.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by maverick17
IMO, that should work fine mechteach. Try at the transit counter (and please report back in the SGN transit thread, not many data points on transits at SGN) and just go out if they can't help you get upstairs.
Thanks! I'll report back, both on the checking for letters by the airline, and the transit process itself.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Looking at visiting Vietnam for tourist purposes sometime next year for tourism purposes. However, I am not totally sure of the dates. I am also looking at multiple entries (will likely visit other neighboring countries, too).

Would it be possible to get a one-year, multiple-entry tourist visa for tourism purposes? Also, would it be possible to do this without definite travel dates (I know I want to go sometime in 2018, but I don't know the exact dates yet)?

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:58 pm

I don't believe the 1 year visa is available anymore. You could email some of the visa agencies listed to ask about it though, maybe they still have a way to do it. But you should have no trouble getting multiple entry 3 month visas back to back if you need 6 months, etc.

AFAIK, the 3 month and multiple entry is only available with the VOA program, not the evisa. But the visa invitation letter only takes a few days to get made, no need to get it now before you know your dates.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Is it possible to apply for multiple e-Visas? I planned poorly and over the holiday season am flying into SGN for a few days, then to HAN with stopover in Japan for a few days. I'm concerned that if I wait until I leave Vietnam to reapply for eVisa for my 2nd stay it won't be approved in time. Would they let me apply for two visas entering about 1.5 weeks apart (total trip length including all time in Vietnam/Japan is under 30 days).
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Is it possible to apply for multiple e-Visas? I planned poorly and over the holiday season am flying into SGN for a few days, then to HAN with stopover in Japan for a few days. I'm concerned that if I wait until I leave Vietnam to reapply for eVisa for my 2nd stay it won't be approved in time. Would they let me apply for two visas entering about 1.5 weeks apart (total trip length including all time in Vietnam/Japan is under 30 days).
We haven't had any data points on that so far. You might find some soon here or in the QR business error fare thread, since some people are going in and out quickly. I can't imagine it's an issue, they just want your $$ more than anything.

To make it easier though, you might just get a multiple entry visa through the VOA process on your first landing. An extra 20-30 minutes, a few extra dollars, but you would be good.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:42 pm

got my e-Visa in 4 days.
probably was approved in less time but was expecting them to send me an email saying it's been approved so never checked till the 4th day.

e-Visa looks plain but no problem going thru customs in Saigon.
took less than a minute at the guard's desk. (American passport)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Last time I was at SGN (it was a couple of years ago) there was no way to transfer from international to domestic. You go outside and walk to the other building/airport/terminal. You check in, you go through security...just like any person off the street would do when flying domestic. I would still advise to just get an e-visa. Otherwise, prepare for a hassle.

Also if you try to do the Phu Quoc exemption, PLEASE report back to us with what happened.
I do not have a data point.
But I researched this question in both English and Chinese and came up with a very interesting answer from Vietnam Airlines Taiwan.

I previously suspected it will more likely on a Vietnam Airlines thru ticketed booking because they will arrange for tarmac transfer https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/ShowTo...y-Vietnam.html .
But my case will be separate tickets if we go (redemption KA HKG-HAN, purchase separate domestic tix to Phu Quoc
If someone can confirm this is the actual procedure, it'd be greatly appreciated:

Code:
https://www.facebook.com/VietnamAirlinesTaiwan/posts/1827161747505508
(redirected from https://www.backpackers.com.tw/forum...1145858&page=2)

Xu Xiaohao: Can we enjoy [Phu Quoc, PQ] visa exemption if we transit at SGN and not enter Vietnam [at SGN]?

VN Taiwan: As PQ is a special economic zone, transiting at HAN/SGN will enjoy visa exemption from December 2015. Conditions are you must have confirmed onward tickets to PQ and your stay cannot exceed 30 days. On disembarking [at HAN/SGN], please proceed to immigration and display your [PQ] ticket and [TW-HAN/SGN] boarding pass, and immigration will admit you. Please be reminded to keep all boarding passes as immigration will inspect all previous boarding passes before permitting your exit from Vietnam.

Storn Hung: Do we need to present OLCI BP for PQ sector to claim visa exemption?

Xu Xiaohao: No, VN means present the TW-HAN/SGN BP to Vietnam immigration.

VN Taiwan: Since all flights from Taiwan enter at HAN/SGN, you need your subsequent PQ e-ticket and [TW-HAN/SGN] to enter Vietnam, claim baggage [and clear customs...], then check in at domestic [terminal]. On arrival at PQ there is no further immigration, just claim your baggage and go. When returning back from PQ, you must present all previous three BP at HAN/SGN before being permitted to exit.

VN Taiwan: Yes Storn, you need same day onward ticket to PQ.

VN Taiwan: Xu Xiaohao you will need to enter Vietnam in HAN/SGN, because the PQ sector is domestic.

Storn Hung: Xu Xiaohao, domestic and international are in separate buildings in [HAN and SGN]!

---

VN Taiwan seems envisage pax will be admitted to Vietnam at HAN/SGN. So if what VN said is true, immigration couldn't care less if pax are holding separate tix ("you need your subsequent PQ e-ticket and [TW-HAN/SGN] to enter Vietnam").

I think I'll get hell from KA if I try this though. Better check in with plenty of time (hard. HAN plane is pretty early)

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 21, 2017 at 5:57 am
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: StarAlliance (UA 1K), PriorityClub (Plat), SPG (Plat), OneWorld (AA), SkyTeam (KLM), Marriott (Gold)
Confused about visa situation

I'm a UK citizen.

I just started a 10 day trip to Vietnam with 2 days in the middle in Cambodia. I entered Vietnam a few days ago on visa exemption (UK citizens are allowed 15 days visa free) but I need to reenter when I return from Cambodia.

The re-entry is within 1 week of me first entering Vietnam.

Do I need a visa for the re-entry? From my reading of the rules it looks like I do. Will a single entry visa on arrival be ok?

I guess if I'd got a visa before the entire trip I would have go a multiple entry but since I've already entered once on visa exemption a single entry should be fine for the next entry?

Thanks for any advice
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ConfusedInJapan
I'm a UK citizen.

I just started a 10 day trip to Vietnam with 2 days in the middle in Cambodia. I entered Vietnam a few days ago on visa exemption (UK citizens are allowed 15 days visa free) but I need to reenter when I return from Cambodia.

The re-entry is within 1 week of me first entering Vietnam.

Do I need a visa for the re-entry? From my reading of the rules it looks like I do. Will a single entry visa on arrival be ok?

I guess if I'd got a visa before the entire trip I would have go a multiple entry but since I've already entered once on visa exemption a single entry should be fine for the next entry?

Thanks for any advice
"If youre planning to make multiple visits in a short period to Vietnam, consider applying for a multiple entry visa. If you want to make a second visit within 30 days of leaving Vietnam, youll need to get a visa or an e-visa to re-enter the country."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.