Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stephem
Moderator note: this Wikipost provides general visa guidelines and summarizes the information provided by FT members throughout this thread. Businesses mentioned in this wiki are in no way endorsed or recommended by FlyerTalk, and advertising is prohibited. FlyerTalk's commercial post rule is strictly enforced in this thread, and all spam-like posts will be immediately removed.

Vietnam Visa Information

Main source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam - Visa Application and Information - includes fillable application (external website)

Transit Without Visa

Vietnam permits foreigners to transit without a visa (TWOV) provided they remain inside the airport transit areas while awaiting an onward flight out of the country within 24 hours of arrival. Travelers are not allowed to leave the airport without a visa.

Visa Exemption for Phu Quoc Island

If you are only visiting Phu Quoc Island, guess what, you probably don't need a visa at all! There is a 30 day visa exception for Phu Quoc visits, and many people report being able to transit in HAN or SGN en route to PQC. But there are now direct flights to PQC and that allows you to avoid having to get a visa at all. Worth considering...

Regular Visa in Advance of Travel

Foreigners may obtain a visa at the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Prices are not published and appear to vary from location to location. Most recent reports suggest a typical fee of approximately USD 100.

ONLINE APPLICATION LOOSE LEAF VISA
Vietnam Visa Online Application and instructions:
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process

From what I've learned, you attach the three (3) files listed below to an email along with your credit card number and the visa section will mail back a loose leaf visa.

As of December, 2015, the fees are $80 = 1 month visa, $20 = overnight USPS, $10 priority mail. Multiple entry visas are available.

Fill out the online application form.
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process
Follow "online form" link. Choose language top right.

Including uploading to the application a correctly sized photo, 2x2 inches (website will check and confirm) that will propagate into the application.

Print out the application form, sign, scan as .pdf file. Attach the .pdf to your email.

Attach a correctly sized photo (2x2 inches).

Attach a scanned a copy of your passport (photo, personal detail pages and signature page).

Include your credit card number. The visa section will charge your card for visa type and USPS Express return a loose leaf visa.

Ask politely for the tracking number and total charges.

Call Embassy Visa to double check the above details and current email address: 202. 861. 0737, x118/121/122/123/125

As of December, 2015, the email address to send the application is: [email protected].

Visa Exemption

Those traveling on passports issued by the following nations are generally exempt from visa requirements for varying durations of stay: Belarus, Brunei, Cambodia, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand and UK. See the entry visa exemption list at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for duration of stay info.

eVisa

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en...trang-chu-ttdt

List of countries eligible for eVisa: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/do...b-91595a4f5867 (link updated 2017-12-19, note new list can be published with different link) 35 more countries were announced as eligible for e-visa on Feb 20, 2019. Total is now 81 countries. See post 1561 for new additions (government website is down currently, will update with link here when possible).

Remember to print out the e-visa form they give you, as they will request it on arrival and on departure!

Some ports of entry require the evisa to be validated on arrival. In particular DAD has been cited in the thread as requiring the evisa holder to be processed at the VOA desk. Takes about 15 mins.

Visa On Arrival (VOA) at Airport Border Entries

Travelers planning to obtain a VOA should arrive with the following documents:

• VOA approval letter
  • Completed VISA APPLICATION which can be downloaded from most VOA service provider websites (travelers are advised to print the form on A4-size paper as there have been reports of US letter-size paper being refused)
  • One passport-type photo
  • Cash for visa stamp fee (see below)

VOA stamp fees for Non-USA passport holders (as of December 2019) are US$25 for a single entry of 1 or 3 months validity, US$50 for multiple entry of 1 or 3 months validity or US$100 for multiple entry 1 year validity.

For USA passport holders, there was a temporary increase from September to December of 2016, up to $135. However Effective December 15, 2016 the $135 stamping fee for US citizens has been dropped, and there are reports US passport holders can be issued VOA letters for single entry 30 day visas again AND that US citizens should only have to pay a $25 stamp fee at on collection of VOA. In late December, there were reports are that the desks in HAN and DAD did not receive the memo, so YMMV until the airport desks "get the memo."

This fee must be paid at the VOA counter on arrival , and is in addition to whatever fees you have paid the VOA service provider for the invitation letter. Payments are accepted in Vietnamese Dong, USD or Euros.

Visa on arrival (VOA) is permitted for one of the following purposes:

• Attend the funeral of family member or visit a family member in critical condition;
    • Arrival from a country where there is no Vietnamese diplomatic mission/consular office;
      • Visit Vietnam on tours organized by Vietnamese international travel agencies;
        • Provide emergency technical assistance for construction works, projects; emergency treatment for critical patients or accident victims; emergency relief in cases of natural disasters or epidemics in Vietnam;
          • For other urgent reasons.

There are countless service providers on the internet that offer VOA approval letters for a fee. Legitimate providers are licensed travel agencies, thus meeting the highlighted criterion above. Those planning to obtain a VOA approval letter are advised to take steps to ensure they are working with a licensed Vietnam travel agency or tour operator. Some Vietnam hotels are also able to provide this service.

Some VOA service providers offer expedited processing for same day or 30 minutes turnaround on issuance of VOA letter and priority processing upon arrival at the airport in Vietnam for an additional fee.

Advantages of VOA include lower cost than embassy-issued visa, eliminates the need to visit an embassy or mail passport for advance visa, and faster receipt of VOA approval letter (sent via email).

Disadvantages of VOA include longer immigration processing upon arrival, with potentially long waits for receipt of visa (usually 10-20 min., but longer waits do occur); privacy concerns due to inclusion of personal data for multiple unrelated travelers on one approval letter; and risk of scams by unauthorized VOA service providers.

VOA Process at the Airport in SGN

Removed by poster

VOA Service Providers Recommended By FTers

The following are a few of the VOA service providers that have been used and discussed in the thread by active FlyerTalk members. These providers publish sufficient information on their websites to suggest that they are authorized operators (e.g., provide physical business address, state actual travel company name, display tour operator license number, etc.). Members should verify these basic criteria before adding providers this list; simply having had successful transactions is not sufficient:

External Sources

Change log
26th-April
Edited to note that some ports of entry require the e-visa to be validated on arrival.
8 December 2019- Edited to add note about Phu Quoc being exempt from visa for 30 day visit and add info about 1 year multiple entry Visa which is now available via VoA process too.

FlyerTalkers with at least 90 days of membership and a minimum of 90 posts are invited to make corrections and update the information in this Wikipost.
Print Wikipost

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by karenkay
thanks for the speedy response! yes, am bringing extra photos just in case...you never know.
Always a good idea to travel with extra photos in SE Asia. They are easy and cheap to get here, but you never know when you'll need them.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Always a good idea to travel with extra photos in SE Asia. They are easy and cheap to get here, but you never know when you'll need them.
I always remember that scene from the 1984 film, The Killing Fields..
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jimbo99
I always remember that scene from the 1984 film, The Killing Fields..
I hadn't even been thinking about that....
Old May 20, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by jimbo99
If you need the authorisation in advance, I have used these people and came to me recommended.

http://hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels/...tnam_visa.html

Perhaps search for this link/my name - I think there was quite a lengthy thread on this before.

Thanks very much Jimbo99 !

Your link worked like a charm for only $14.00 as compared to others for $25.00 and with the approval letter arriving within 2 days, the arrival and processing at Tan Son Nhat Airport a few days later was a breeze.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:12 am

Visa on Arrival

You may also want contact the hotel you're staying at to obtain the preapproval letter for a visa on arrival. I obtained the letter for a three-month multiple entry for only US$17 by going through the hotel. Much cheaper than anywhere online! I had the letter in hand within 2 days of my request.

Doing a visa on arrival is saving me about US$65. I'm paying the US$17 + US$50 stamp fee (paid directly to immigration on arrival). Going through the Vietnam Consulate in Hong Kong would cost around US$130 for a similar entry/stay visa.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:01 am

Angry no privacy !!!

Pre-approved visa is legal, obviously, because it is issued by the Immigration Agency of Vietnam. However, the service operators never concern about their clients' privacy. All our information of full names, dates of birth, passport numbers are almost published.
The email addresses of a friend of mine was hacked right after he applied for a visa via this website and how dangerous our personal accounts would be!!! I also called the CSO to complain about this but that poor girl couldn't do anything at all, and we can never get to her manager.

All they can do is to promise that they and other agents will do their best to make some impacts on the Immigration Agency, but I know they never do it and that's the answer to all other complainers. And they will never say it in advance on their websites because it may cause decrease in their revenue.

Also, as staying in Vietnam, I found out that the website www.vietnam-embassy.com is not the website of the Vietnam Embassy at all but of the same company owning myvietnamvisa.com and other visa service website.

Despite all above, getting visa via this service is fast, easy and cheap. I suggest that you should email them about the privacy case before applying.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by bluebird09
Legit?
French and German embassy says: no, it's not.

So I'm responsable and avoid it.

Imagine:
What do you do after a 15 hours flight (and after costs over 3000$) when refused to enter just because you wanted to save some 30$? -

Really

And then again, I worry as well about giving away my passport for a week to them in order to get a visa. And you can read it all over the web, sometimes, passports get lost. But then again: is there really any choice? Beeing refused at their border, having all those hotel reservations over amex. No. If it's just for 30 $, I don't even think about it.
On the other hand, it is great for those of who live in Southeast Asia (and who are not citizens of an ASEAN country). Consider having to travel to the capital city if you don't live there, submit your passport and part with it for one week and then arrange to return to the city in a week to pick up the passport. That's a lot of time and money spent for a visa. And if there is a problem with the paperwork and you are denied entry, it's not such a big deal but it seems like that is rare.

Do these third-party agencies adhere to Western standards of transparency and business ethics? Probably not. Is that any of my concern? Not really. If most of us had our way, Vietnam would be issuing visas at the airport without having to go through this approval process just like Indonesia does or else would do away with visas entirely.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by bluebird09
Legit?
French and German embassy says: no, it's not.
Nah, I can only assume those embassies are short of business.

These are more than just letters. The approval is given in Vietnam and loaded onto the system. The letter is an instruction to put the visa into the passport and doubles as proof to the airline at check-in that you will be allowed to enter.

If they were not legit, the details wouldn't be loaded onto the system and it would cause a query on arrival.

So my answer is - immigration at Vietnam's airports say they are legit.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by emily_haian
However, the service operators never concern about their clients' privacy. All our information of full names, dates of birth, passport numbers are almost published.
Hi Emily, welcome to FT.

I know what you mean, but really it's a cultural/political thing so difficult to get the message across. People just don't have the same sense of privacy. Though annoying sometimes, it has it's upsides - eg I had a couple of mobile phones returned to me by people because they were able to find out who I was and where I lived from the phone number. Personally I regard my passport info (inc DOB, number, address, full name, email address) as public information.

I used to use an agent where they never "bulked together" the names - ie mine was the only one that appeared on the approval letter. A bit more expensive, but his firm closed when he retired.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mark_mnl
Do these third-party agencies adhere to Western standards of transparency and business ethics?
Ha ha ha I know plenty of UK immigration lawyers/agencies that don't adhere to .. er... Western standards of transparency and business ethics.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW my pre-approval letter includes the full name, date of birth, nationality, and passport number for 21 people.

I am pretty judicious about privacy issues but this letter causes me no anxiety other than it reveals my middle age to strangers. My party consists of the only Americans listed in this letter. The rest are from UK, Canada, Italy, Switzerland, and Ireland.

I used myvietnamvisa.

Last edited by Dr_wanderlust; Jul 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:52 pm

FWIW, I used http://visa-vietnam.org when I went two years back with no problems. Current pricing is slightly cheaper than http://www.myvietnamvisa.com if you're travelling with a partner or group.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
How long is the approval letter valid for once it is issued?

I leave Canada mid September to go travelling for 6 months. I will either be in Vietnam in December or February, can I still apply for an approval letter if I decide to go in say December and want to apply now for a 1 month visa?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 1:40 am

As I understand it, there is no expiry on the letter - but the letter does give the required dates for the visa. The restriction is you cannot apply for approval for an entry that starts more than 6 months from the application date. Sounds like you'll be OK.

Bear in mind that everything is done by email. So you could apply whilst travelling provided you can receive an email and print it out.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Visa pre-approval worked like a charm for us. By the time we got the visa and got through immigration our bags were loaded on the baggage claim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.