Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stephem
Moderator note: this Wikipost provides general visa guidelines and summarizes the information provided by FT members throughout this thread. Businesses mentioned in this wiki are in no way endorsed or recommended by FlyerTalk, and advertising is prohibited. FlyerTalk's commercial post rule is strictly enforced in this thread, and all spam-like posts will be immediately removed.

Vietnam Visa Information

Main source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam - Visa Application and Information - includes fillable application (external website)

Transit Without Visa

Vietnam permits foreigners to transit without a visa (TWOV) provided they remain inside the airport transit areas while awaiting an onward flight out of the country within 24 hours of arrival. Travelers are not allowed to leave the airport without a visa.

Visa Exemption for Phu Quoc Island

If you are only visiting Phu Quoc Island, guess what, you probably don't need a visa at all! There is a 30 day visa exception for Phu Quoc visits, and many people report being able to transit in HAN or SGN en route to PQC. But there are now direct flights to PQC and that allows you to avoid having to get a visa at all. Worth considering...

Regular Visa in Advance of Travel

Foreigners may obtain a visa at the nearest Vietnamese embassy or consulate. Prices are not published and appear to vary from location to location. Most recent reports suggest a typical fee of approximately USD 100.

ONLINE APPLICATION LOOSE LEAF VISA
Vietnam Visa Online Application and instructions:
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process

From what I've learned, you attach the three (3) files listed below to an email along with your credit card number and the visa section will mail back a loose leaf visa.

As of December, 2015, the fees are $80 = 1 month visa, $20 = overnight USPS, $10 priority mail. Multiple entry visas are available.

Fill out the online application form.
http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consul...cation-process
Follow "online form" link. Choose language top right.

Including uploading to the application a correctly sized photo, 2x2 inches (website will check and confirm) that will propagate into the application.

Print out the application form, sign, scan as .pdf file. Attach the .pdf to your email.

Attach a correctly sized photo (2x2 inches).

Attach a scanned a copy of your passport (photo, personal detail pages and signature page).

Include your credit card number. The visa section will charge your card for visa type and USPS Express return a loose leaf visa.

Ask politely for the tracking number and total charges.

Call Embassy Visa to double check the above details and current email address: 202. 861. 0737, x118/121/122/123/125

As of December, 2015, the email address to send the application is: [email protected].

Visa Exemption

Those traveling on passports issued by the following nations are generally exempt from visa requirements for varying durations of stay: Belarus, Brunei, Cambodia, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand and UK. See the entry visa exemption list at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for duration of stay info.

eVisa

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en...trang-chu-ttdt

List of countries eligible for eVisa: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/do...b-91595a4f5867 (link updated 2017-12-19, note new list can be published with different link) 35 more countries were announced as eligible for e-visa on Feb 20, 2019. Total is now 81 countries. See post 1561 for new additions (government website is down currently, will update with link here when possible).

Remember to print out the e-visa form they give you, as they will request it on arrival and on departure!

Some ports of entry require the evisa to be validated on arrival. In particular DAD has been cited in the thread as requiring the evisa holder to be processed at the VOA desk. Takes about 15 mins.

Visa On Arrival (VOA) at Airport Border Entries

Travelers planning to obtain a VOA should arrive with the following documents:

• VOA approval letter
  • Completed VISA APPLICATION which can be downloaded from most VOA service provider websites (travelers are advised to print the form on A4-size paper as there have been reports of US letter-size paper being refused)
  • One passport-type photo
  • Cash for visa stamp fee (see below)

VOA stamp fees for Non-USA passport holders (as of December 2019) are US$25 for a single entry of 1 or 3 months validity, US$50 for multiple entry of 1 or 3 months validity or US$100 for multiple entry 1 year validity.

For USA passport holders, there was a temporary increase from September to December of 2016, up to $135. However Effective December 15, 2016 the $135 stamping fee for US citizens has been dropped, and there are reports US passport holders can be issued VOA letters for single entry 30 day visas again AND that US citizens should only have to pay a $25 stamp fee at on collection of VOA. In late December, there were reports are that the desks in HAN and DAD did not receive the memo, so YMMV until the airport desks "get the memo."

This fee must be paid at the VOA counter on arrival , and is in addition to whatever fees you have paid the VOA service provider for the invitation letter. Payments are accepted in Vietnamese Dong, USD or Euros.

Visa on arrival (VOA) is permitted for one of the following purposes:

• Attend the funeral of family member or visit a family member in critical condition;
    • Arrival from a country where there is no Vietnamese diplomatic mission/consular office;
      • Visit Vietnam on tours organized by Vietnamese international travel agencies;
        • Provide emergency technical assistance for construction works, projects; emergency treatment for critical patients or accident victims; emergency relief in cases of natural disasters or epidemics in Vietnam;
          • For other urgent reasons.

There are countless service providers on the internet that offer VOA approval letters for a fee. Legitimate providers are licensed travel agencies, thus meeting the highlighted criterion above. Those planning to obtain a VOA approval letter are advised to take steps to ensure they are working with a licensed Vietnam travel agency or tour operator. Some Vietnam hotels are also able to provide this service.

Some VOA service providers offer expedited processing for same day or 30 minutes turnaround on issuance of VOA letter and priority processing upon arrival at the airport in Vietnam for an additional fee.

Advantages of VOA include lower cost than embassy-issued visa, eliminates the need to visit an embassy or mail passport for advance visa, and faster receipt of VOA approval letter (sent via email).

Disadvantages of VOA include longer immigration processing upon arrival, with potentially long waits for receipt of visa (usually 10-20 min., but longer waits do occur); privacy concerns due to inclusion of personal data for multiple unrelated travelers on one approval letter; and risk of scams by unauthorized VOA service providers.

VOA Process at the Airport in SGN

Removed by poster

VOA Service Providers Recommended By FTers

The following are a few of the VOA service providers that have been used and discussed in the thread by active FlyerTalk members. These providers publish sufficient information on their websites to suggest that they are authorized operators (e.g., provide physical business address, state actual travel company name, display tour operator license number, etc.). Members should verify these basic criteria before adding providers this list; simply having had successful transactions is not sufficient:

External Sources

Change log
26th-April
Edited to note that some ports of entry require the e-visa to be validated on arrival.
8 December 2019- Edited to add note about Phu Quoc being exempt from visa for 30 day visit and add info about 1 year multiple entry Visa which is now available via VoA process too.

FlyerTalkers with at least 90 days of membership and a minimum of 90 posts are invited to make corrections and update the information in this Wikipost.
Print Wikipost

Prior to 2022: Visa / VOA Info for Vietnam

Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
See my post:
note they have a tick box for a "private letter" now

If you tick that box, they will send you a letter with nobody else attached. Otherwise, they submit in batches and list all details in the letter... they have different notions of privacy in Vietnam apparently.

Originally Posted by bsagator
I used this website and received a letter from them that included someone else as #1, which showed his name, birthdate, and passport number. Is this normal?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stephem
See my post:
note they have a tick box for a "private letter" now

If you tick that box, they will send you a letter with nobody else attached. Otherwise, they submit in batches and list all details in the letter... they have different notions of privacy in Vietnam apparently.
the question is if a person checks the box for 'private letter' does that mean that everyone else also doesnt see the info, or just that you dont see everyone elses? And do they charge more for a PL
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
When I used VOA a couple of years ago, everything worked swimmingly, except: when checking in at LAX on ANA (LAX-HND/NRT-SGN), they were leery of letting me check-in with the VOA form. I had to sign away any rights if I was refused entry in Vietnam.

I'll be doing this again next year, but with JAL this time from LAX.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Get hassled by an airline at the airport? Or was this experience an oddity?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by OskiBear
When I used VOA a couple of years ago, everything worked swimmingly, except: when checking in at LAX on ANA (LAX-HND/NRT-SGN), they were leery of letting me check-in with the VOA form. I had to sign away any rights if I was refused entry in Vietnam.

I'll be doing this again next year, but with JAL this time from LAX.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Get hassled by an airline at the airport? Or was this experience an oddity?
Happens a lot with inexperienced GAs. Normally they just check the requirements on the monitor or with a supervisor and you're all set. Never taken me more than a minute to get it sorted out.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi - looking for some advice please regarding TWOV.

Chinese citizen (PRC) intending to fly PVG-SGN-MEL. Two hour airside transit in SGN (connecting VN->VN).

I thought TWOV would be ok? But then got confused by TIMATIC which says visa is required unless passport endorsed 'for public affairs'. Or is that only for pax wishing to 'enter' Vietnam?:

TIMATIC:

National China (People's Rep.) (CN)
Embarkation China (People's Rep.) (CN)
Transit Viet Nam (VN) /Destination Australia (AU)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

Viet Nam (VN)

Visa required, except for holders of normal passports
endorsed For Public Affairs issued to nationals of China

(People's Rep.). In all other cases:
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets

for a max. transit For details, click here time of 24 hours.
Visa Issuance:
- Holders of a pre-approval letter issued only in Ha Noi, Viet
Nam by the Vietnamese Immigration (Ministry of Public

Security) or the Consular Department (Ministry of Foreign
Affairs), can obtain a transit visa provided arriving on
Vietnam Airlines (VN). Fee: USD 25.-.
Additional Information:

- International transit passengers through Viet Nam are

permitted to stay overnight in the transit lounge. However,
there are limited aiprport facilities available to the

passenger.
Warning:
- Visa exempt visitors not holding return/onward tickets could

be refused entry.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
First thought is that VN in China can give you chapter and verse on this.

Second thought is:

There have been (reported) problems where passengers hoping to transfer on separate tickets/airlines at SGN have had difficulty checking-in at their origin airport without a visa. This can be resolved simply by getting the $10 visa approval letter.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
First thought is that VN in China can give you chapter and verse on this.

Second thought is:

There have been (reported) problems where passengers hoping to transfer on separate tickets/airlines at SGN have had difficulty checking-in at their origin airport without a visa. This can be resolved simply by getting the $10 visa approval letter.
Thanks. We'll double check with VN in PVG before buying the tickets.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:21 am

Hi all,

I'll be going to vietnam in may 2015, arriving via land border from Cambodia so VOA is not an option...I'm trying to avoid the ridiculous CIBT 129$ fee so thought I would try the application myself.

The wiki gives info on the USA side but coming from Canada, the embassy website mentions you can apply either by mail or in person...has anyone ever tried getting a visa that way?

I'm kinda weary of doing it via mail as the only payment option would be via writing my CC number on a piece of paper with a "charge what you want" ending...

I wouldn't mind making the drive to ottawa to apply in person and pay cash rather than CC. Is it as simple as walking in, hand in papers+cash+passport and leave?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Caroao
I'm kinda weary of doing it via mail as the only payment option would be via writing my CC number on a piece of paper with a "charge what you want" ending...
The VN embassy/consulates in the U.S. accept cashiers checks and money orders for payment. Is this not an option for Canadians?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:31 am

I wouldn't mind making the drive to ottawa to apply in person and pay cash rather than CC. Is it as simple as walking in, hand in papers+cash+passport and leave?
Each Embassy/Consulate operates independently. I would call the Embassy directly to inquire. In SF, you can apply for expedited service (pay extra) and wait a couple hours for processing.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
The VN embassy/consulates in the U.S. accept cashiers checks and money orders for payment. Is this not an option for Canadians?
They do, but I can't find the visa fee anywhere on the website and per googgle and the wiki, that is because the fee varies by location and the person who processes it so I wouldn't even know the amount to put on money order...
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Pt, CBP Global Entry
They do, but I can't find the visa fee anywhere on the website and per googgle and the wiki, that is because the fee varies by location and the person who processes it so I wouldn't even know the amount to put on money order...
Just email them and they'll tell you the fee. The last time I checked it was $60. If you're not Vietnamese I think they'll tell you $100.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
A great thread, thanks to all the content contributors!!

My question: I'm doing VOA, arriving at 10:40 PM at HCMC, via Asiana business class. I'll be coming from Korea, not as jet lagged, so I'm thinking I could navigate the Visa on Arrival stuff without challenge, but I don't want to wait.

If I'm putting a premium on my time, is it worth using Fast Track Arrival service offered by my VOA service provider (Vietnam Visa Corp)? It's only $15 per person, if it saves me 20 minutes, I'd do it.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:26 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Originally Posted by beachfan
A great thread, thanks to all the content contributors!!

My question: I'm doing VOA, arriving at 10:40 PM at HCMC, via Asiana business class. I'll be coming from Korea, not as jet lagged, so I'm thinking I could navigate the Visa on Arrival stuff without challenge, but I don't want to wait.

If I'm putting a premium on my time, is it worth using Fast Track Arrival service offered by my VOA service provider (Vietnam Visa Corp)? It's only $15 per person, if it saves me 20 minutes, I'd do it.

Thanks in advance!
Honestly, it's a waste of money. I tried it once and all they do is take the paperwork to the window for you. If you are arriving in Bus. class, you will be one of the first off of the plane (assuming no other planes arrive immediately before you). Make sure you print off the application form ahead of time and have this filled out and your photo ready when you land. You should be one of first up to the window and just hand them your materials and your passport. Typical wait is approx. 10-15 minutes. This wait time will not improve if you use an "expediting service" as it is the same wait time once you turn in your materials.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by GB
.... (assuming no other planes arrive immediately before you). ...
This is the assumption I'm worried about. Any way to check what planes are schedule to arrive at the airport between 10pm and 10:40?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.