Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok in October?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
Bangkok in October?

We were planning a trip to Europe but with the airfare and the weakness of the dollar, we are really considering going to Bangkok. The dollar seems to go a lot futher. However, I did a search and this seems to be part of monsoon season. Is this a good time to go or not? I'd appreciate any advice.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:42 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
At least as it applies to Thailand, monsoon season is highly exagerrated in the American imagination. Most parts of Thailand do not get inundated during the rainy season in the same way that bits of India (e.g. last year's floods in Mumbai) and Bangladesh do (e.g. floods practically every year). Parts of central and northern Thailand did experience flooding a couple of months ago at the beginning of the rainy season, but that was a rarity. The coastal bits of Thailand do experience monsoonal rains, and if you're looking for sunshine and long stretches of time on the beach, it's best to avoid areas like Phuket in September. October is pretty much the end of the rainy season (the later in the month, the drier), so even in Phuket or Krabi you'll get lots of sunshine and only brief showers for the most part. Bangkok, which is a good 50 kms inland from the Gulf of Thailand does not experience monsoonal rains in the same way that the beaches and islands do (an urban "heat island" effect may contribute to that, though I'll leave the climatological science to others). Bangkok will be HOT any time of year, especially to someone coming from the cooler climes of Seattle. You'll be grateful for an afternoon shower if you get one-- it will cool the city and clean the air.

Although I haven't been to Bangkok during the height of the Hot Season in April, I'd venture that there's never a bad time to go to Bangkok.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:29 am

Agree with MegaTop

So far this year in Bangkok - even the heaviest rains have lasted no more than an hour. Not anything worth changing plans for.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:38 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 22, 2008 at 10:37 am
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. We are planning to go early October, but it seems like the consensus is to go. Now time to find airline tickets. Thanks again
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:13 pm

I agree with uncertain! I live on Phuket (and BKK part-time) and I vacation in the area - during low season. Rates are great! And, often the beach is yours alone.

Low season is always a good time to try out a few new hotels.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tedkarma

We have started checking hotels and wow. The bigger question now is where to stay. They all look quite amazing for the price I would have paid in Italy.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by tedkarma
I agree with uncertain! I live on Phuket (and BKK part-time) and I vacation in the area - during low season. Rates are great! And, often the beach is yours alone.

We are planning to be there for our honeymoon during the 2nd week of October. Finding somewhere to stay is extremely HARD! Only because they all look so nice!! Any recommendations you could throw forward would be much appreciated. We were originally looking at Cape Panwa, however there have been many negative reviews recently on TripAdvisor.com that we decided against it and have cancelled our reservation there. We have since looked at the Sarojin (great buy 1 night get 1 night free deal right now) which I understand is further north, but we're looking for some peace and quiet anyway. There are a few which are out of our price range (twinpalms, banyan tree) but I'd certainly appreciate the advice of a resident!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.