Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Dining suggestions near the Peace hotel in Shanghai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold

We will be staying at the Peace Hotel in Shanghai for a night and would love to get a recommendation for a great restaurant nearby. Where would you go?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

i'm told that noah's has the best burgers in town....

i have to confess that most of the places over there are too heavy on the attidude and skimpy on the portions for my tastes, but ymmv:

jean jorges
larris
new heights
m

i'll post again if i think of anything else. btw, i'm assuming you're looking for a bund dinner experience so i've deliberately refrained from mentioning other places.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:15 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Here some more info on Moondog's reccomendations. I personally haven't been
to any of these places as my Shanghainese vendors don't have the budget or taste for this style food but they look very good to me! info courtesy of
www.smartshanghai.com

Jean Georges

Address:
4F, 3 Zhong Shan Dong Yi Road, 3 on the Bund
Jean George, who is one of the world's most celebrated chefs, opened the only Jean Georges outside of New York in Shanghai in 2004 bringing superb french cuisine in a spectacular setting to Shanghai. His philosophy is simplicity with an emphasis on superior ingredients, light cuisine using mainly locally products. The enterior which was designed by world-renowned architect Michael Graves has plush seating, warm colors and romantic lighting to evoke the splendor of the French influence in Shanghai

Laris

6F, 3 Zhongshan Dong Yi Lu, Three on the Bund
Any expenses are paid for by SmartShanghai.
David Laris, an internationally renowned chef who has received critical acclaim for his cuisine at prestigious restaurants on several continents, including Conran Group flagship Mezzo in London, says his food reflects not only his Australian Greek roots, but also his experiences, passions and travels.

Says Laris, "My food signifies a freedom from any ethnic labels. A visit to Laris, located in the historical building known as Three on the Bund, will be more than just a culinary experience; it will be a high-toned journey for the senses - welcoming and warm, stimulating and elegant."

M on the Bund
Address:
7F, 5 on the Bund

Man, what a dinner! Sure, there is nothing new about M on the Bund, in fact it looks a little bit passe in between star-rated locations left and right on the Bund - but that's actually why it is so good. The terrace is still great for a summer night's dinner. The food is still fine, with some little flaws here and there. The service is still quick, efficient and on the verge to arrogant. It is still packed with expats, tourists and well heeled Chinese. The wine list is still extensive, its arrangement smart. It is still a fine place for people watching (...if your date does not mind). It's the package that makes it - and that one is almost unbeatable.

M on the Bund serves primarily Continental cuisine, though some dishes are from North Africa, India and the Middle East - "authentic" dishes, not fusion food. M on the Bund was the first independent, international-class Western restaurant in Shanghai when it opened in 1999 located in the former Nissin Shipping Building from the 1920s. It combines outstanding service, a lovely interior, great food, an excellent wine list - plus stunning views of the Bund and Pudong's space-age skyline. Leave room for M's signature dessert, Pavlova (a white meringue pie with fruit and whipped cream), or one of the delicious dessert specials.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
i'm assuming you're looking for a bund dinner experience
Yes, we are - this is our first trip to Shanghai so wanted to take advantage of anything that could be considered very good , on one end of the spectrum, to spectacular on the other. Thanks for the suggestions ^

anacapamalibu Thank you for the information, much appreciated ^

Last edited by Vaze; Jun 21, 2006 at 10:38 am
Old Jun 21, 2006, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Laris and M are both excellent.

As I recall, there is also a very nice jazz/blues club across the street from Laris' building.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:12 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Just stumbled onto this recent review June 22 from an American guy living in HK.
re Jean Gorges:

Hollywood East

Dinner last night at Jean Georges on the Bund. Despite the NY Times article that I quoted here a week or so ago about these far flung outposts from celebrity chefs, this is a place that does just about everything right. After previous disappointing dinners at Whampoa Club and M on the Bund, this place had the best food, the best wine list and the best service by far. Despite its reputation and that of its namesake owner, there was nothing stuffy or formal about the place.

conversation with head wine steward of the restaurant.

She also had plenty of praise for Tom Cruise, who had been there three times so far this year, and was said to be extremely open and accommodating - staff members kept interrupting his dinner in a private area to ask for photos and he would happily jump up and pose with them every time he was asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.