Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Economy from US to Beijing

Economy from US to Beijing

Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PTravel
Cathay has wonderful service -- in business or first. It's coach product is indistinguishable from all the other airlines. China Southern in coach is extremely cramped.
though i can't profess to be a "pitch expert," but ime cz is certainly no worse than average and is better than cx/sq. that said, you'd be unlikely to catch me on cz lax-can, especially if i was coming from the midwest and trying to get to beijing.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
In its original configuration, CZ puts 10-abreast on its 772 for CAN-LAX. I know they are upgrading the interior (maybe switching to 9-abreast), and also have a premium economy class, but I don't know whether all LAX flights have them or not.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
though i can't profess to be a "pitch expert," but ime cz is certainly no worse than average and is better than cx/sq. that said, you'd be unlikely to catch me on cz lax-can, especially if i was coming from the midwest and trying to get to beijing.
My recollection was that Cathay was tight and, possibly, tighter than, e.g., Northwest. The coach service was also nothing spectacular -- mediocre food (though, as with any Asian airline, the Asian meals were better than the western meals).

However, now, I'll only fly UA -- E+ makes a world of difference trans-Pacific.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by thadlo
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I must admit that some (many) of your abbreviations are lost on me
I am at my sisters mercy on this trip but I'm hoping to guide her a bit as she buys our tickets. This is an adoption trip for her so we might fly home out of either Hong Kong or Guangzhou. She lives in South Carolina and I live in MI so we will each have to travel somewhere to meet up before the LONG flight.
What about foreign airlines? I've read good things about Cathay Pacific. How about China Southern? Is the cost more on these airlines? I like the thought of personal video screens, and free booze would be a bonus .
Thanks again.
If you are traveling for an adoption you may want to check into "adoption fares." I know that Northwest has one that allows alot more flexibility. Not sure how the fare would compare with regularly published fares. I am guessing that other airlines have them as well.

You also may consider what is called an "open jaw" booking, or flying in to one city and out of a different one. This would allow you to fly in to Beijing and out of Guangzhou or Hong Kong. You would have to make the China domestic portion on your own of course. Usually pricing is the same or very close. For example with Continental you could fly into Beijing and out of Hong Kong. (Both non-stops to/from Newark) Or with Northwest you could fly out of Guangzhou.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.